Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on starter and noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
One step forward two steps back. We started and drove our 1972 project 914. In my book that's a miracle! We put in a rebuilt 1974 2.0, here's the question today. When the starter engages we get sir a split second a loud almost grinding sound. Like I said less than a second. Everything seems fine, my car guy thinks maybe we are missing a plate or spacer that would move the starter off the engine a tiny bit. My other car guy says it will go away as the gears mesh over time. Any thouhsz? This forum has been a God sent! I cannot thank everyone enough!
Rand
QUOTE(NJTom @ Apr 5 2017, 01:57 PM) *

One step forward two steps back. We started and drove our 1972 project 914. In my book that's a miracle! We put in a rebuilt 1974 2.0, here's the question today. When the starter engages we get sir a split second a loud almost grinding sound. Like I said less than a second. Everything seems fine, my car guy thinks maybe we are missing a plate or spacer that would move the starter off the engine a tiny bit. My other car guy says it will go away as the gears mesh over time. Any thouhsz? This forum has been a God sent! I cannot thank everyone enough!

Sounds like it may need some shims. This happened with some of the "high torque" starter replacements... the plunger went too deep. Spacing it back was a fix. It's good that you are questioning it soon, so you can fix it before more damage is done.

76-914
To begin with; stock starter or some FLAPS starter?
iankarr
agree.gif
I put in a high torque starter that did the same thing. One washer shim between the starter and case offset it enough to clear the flywheel.

And congrats on the first start!
NJTom
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 5 2017, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(NJTom @ Apr 5 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Sounds like it may need some shims. This happened with some of the "high torque" starter replacements... the plunger went too deep. Spacing it back was a fix. It's good that you are questioning it soon, so you can fix it before more damage is done.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.