Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door panel material
gulf908
post Apr 6 2017, 12:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,795
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Hi
I would like to replace the door panel material with something as close as I can get to original
A PO has cut the perfectly good material for speakers - have you heard that story ? - and there aren't any there now.
The top capping material is very good so I need material very close to the original May '70 issue.
I e mailed Tony at Autobahn Interiors a while ago but nothing back from him yet
Any other suppliers you can recommend ?

TIA
Dennis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Apr 6 2017, 07:18 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(gulf908 @ Apr 6 2017, 12:46 AM) *

Hi
I would like to replace the door panel material with something as close as I can get to original
A PO has cut the perfectly good material for speakers - have you heard that story ? - and there aren't any there now.
The top capping material is very good so I need material very close to the original May '70 issue.
I e mailed Tony at Autobahn Interiors a while ago but nothing back from him yet
Any other suppliers you can recommend ?

TIA

I bet Mark at 914Rubber has the right stuff: http://shop.914rubber.com/Door-panel-rebuild-kit-914DPRK.htm

He lists "Early Smooth" as an option of materials.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 6 2017, 09:52 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Dennis, I'm assuming that this is for your 914-6, so you should be careful & take your time to get it exactly correct, given their high "Lotto Garage" values today!

In addition to or if not the correct material at 914Rubber for your -6 - or if it's leather & not vinyl leatherette on your -6 (check your COA or original sales docs/window sticker if-USA-car) ....

.... then try Autos International in Fallbrook CA, & World Upholstery in Ventura CA - you can request samples online to get the right match for them.

http://www.autosintl.net/

http://www.worlduph.com/porsche/914_916/

You can then order the proper material in the best color & texture match to have them done by a local upholstery shop (AI also does them for a lot of the Concours Porsches, if you want to have them build up a correct replacement set of 2 complete door panels), but a word of warning - you may not get a good enough match from the materials of today, & may have to have the whole interior reupholstered to keep it all looking right.

You should probably find some solid & non-holed original door cards too so it's solid behind the new cover, & I think you can use those from a /4 - cuz IIRC they used the same in both 4 & 6 914s - BUT one of the -6 aficionados should confirm or correct me.

Being a -6 & high value, you'll want to do it correct to original as delivered new, in order to keep the value in it (unless it was a race car, but even then original to that fitment).

PS - AI is close to San Diego, & I think Garcia may have started out working there (not sure).

Cheers Mate! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
gulf908
post Apr 9 2017, 06:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,795
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

thanks Tom

yes I want to be careful about this as the material on the door cards and the rest of the interior is still very good
I will get samples before I order as you suggest
AI dont seem to have anything on 914s on their site so maybe Tony doesnt cater for them

thanks

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 10 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

You can replace the material i=on the door cards pretty easily on the early. I'll PM you.
Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:27 PM