Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door panel material
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
Hi
I would like to replace the door panel material with something as close as I can get to original
A PO has cut the perfectly good material for speakers - have you heard that story ? - and there aren't any there now.
The top capping material is very good so I need material very close to the original May '70 issue.
I e mailed Tony at Autobahn Interiors a while ago but nothing back from him yet
Any other suppliers you can recommend ?

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Apr 6 2017, 12:46 AM) *

Hi
I would like to replace the door panel material with something as close as I can get to original
A PO has cut the perfectly good material for speakers - have you heard that story ? - and there aren't any there now.
The top capping material is very good so I need material very close to the original May '70 issue.
I e mailed Tony at Autobahn Interiors a while ago but nothing back from him yet
Any other suppliers you can recommend ?

TIA
Dennis smile.gif

I bet Mark at 914Rubber has the right stuff: http://shop.914rubber.com/Door-panel-rebuild-kit-914DPRK.htm

He lists "Early Smooth" as an option of materials.
Tom_T
Dennis, I'm assuming that this is for your 914-6, so you should be careful & take your time to get it exactly correct, given their high "Lotto Garage" values today!

In addition to or if not the correct material at 914Rubber for your -6 - or if it's leather & not vinyl leatherette on your -6 (check your COA or original sales docs/window sticker if-USA-car) ....

.... then try Autos International in Fallbrook CA, & World Upholstery in Ventura CA - you can request samples online to get the right match for them.

http://www.autosintl.net/

http://www.worlduph.com/porsche/914_916/

You can then order the proper material in the best color & texture match to have them done by a local upholstery shop (AI also does them for a lot of the Concours Porsches, if you want to have them build up a correct replacement set of 2 complete door panels), but a word of warning - you may not get a good enough match from the materials of today, & may have to have the whole interior reupholstered to keep it all looking right.

You should probably find some solid & non-holed original door cards too so it's solid behind the new cover, & I think you can use those from a /4 - cuz IIRC they used the same in both 4 & 6 914s - BUT one of the -6 aficionados should confirm or correct me.

Being a -6 & high value, you'll want to do it correct to original as delivered new, in order to keep the value in it (unless it was a race car, but even then original to that fitment).

PS - AI is close to San Diego, & I think Garcia may have started out working there (not sure).

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gulf908
thanks Tom

yes I want to be careful about this as the material on the door cards and the rest of the interior is still very good
I will get samples before I order as you suggest
AI dont seem to have anything on 914s on their site so maybe Tony doesnt cater for them

thanks
Dennis smile.gif
Mikey914
You can replace the material i=on the door cards pretty easily on the early. I'll PM you.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.