Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> want one.....but never driven one !
fst bnna
post Apr 16 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,161
Region Association: None

Hi all: I have been lurking on here for awhile........there is so much knowledge and camaraderie on this site,much more than others I frequent....

So, i have been lusting after a 914 for awhile now for a canyon driver.....I currently have a 2010 Cayman s that I have had since new and will keep.....so...

what should I expect? I'm in southern california (thousand oaks) and drive Mulholland and the surrounding canyons........

any information/guidance would be appreciated.......as I am not mechanically inclined any good reputable shops in my area?

thanks again for all for the information, insight and collective knowledge !!

Tim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 16 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Easy answer, Save up about $15,000 to 18,000 and buy a 914 that is in Xlint cond.
I would stay away from 1976 cars only because of Calif smog rules.

Sure you can find lots of 914s for less then 10K but your frustration and bills will quickly add up. I looked for two years for a rust free Xlint cond. 914 which I found in Arz. and been happy ever since.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Apr 16 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

You should always buy the best Porsche you can afford, I've seen too many guys go for "the deal" only to pay the real price over the first year. Find one that some guy obsessed over, and pay his wacky price.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 16 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Compared to modern cars its not even close,they handle well for their age,steer nice,every gearchange is well thought out and they communicate a pure driving experience that is above many cars of the seventies.....however little or no luxuries ,and nothing like nanny drive the new Porsches have.
Really depends what you are looking for,maybe go and hire a good one or hook up with a Porsche club nearby for a test drive in a members car.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 16 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #5

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(fst bnna @ Apr 16 2017, 08:56 PM) *

Hi all: I have been lurking on here for awhile........there is so much knowledge and camaraderie on this site,much more than others I frequent....

So, i have been lusting after a 914 for awhile now for a canyon driver.....I currently have a 2010 Cayman s that I have had since new and will keep.....so...

what should I expect? I'm in southern california (thousand oaks) and drive Mulholland and the surrounding canyons........

any information/guidance would be appreciated.......as I am not mechanically inclined any good reputable shops in my area?

thanks again for all for the information, insight and collective knowledge !!

Tim

I wrecked my 67 Mustang Convertible on Mulholland Dr in 1979 going around dead mans curve. I am lucky to be alive! I went out the next day and bought a 914-6 with steel flairs and well sorted for $7000. That evening I went up to the same corner and went twice as fast without flinching!!! I have been hooked on 914's ever since!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 16 2017, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

I have found several shops in and around the San Fernando Valley that are reputable and took a potential purchase to TRE Motorsports in Van Nuys, CA last week.

Dealt with Dave the owner and within less than an hour was able to determine that the car under consideration would need $10,000 more worth of work than its value would be upon completion.

Everyone is correct when they are saying it will cost less in the end to get into a higher priced car that needs less work.

I have another vehicle under consideration currently that will be inspected later this week. If I end up doing the deal, you are welcome to come check her out. I am in Sherman Oaks.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 16 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

I have found several shops in and around the San Fernando Valley that are reputable and took a potential purchase to TRE Motorsports in Van Nuys, CA last week.

Dealt with Dave the owner and within less than an hour was able to determine that the car under consideration would need $10,000 more worth of work than its value would be upon completion.

Everyone is correct when they are saying it will cost less in the end to get into a higher priced car that needs less work.

I have another vehicle under consideration currently that will be inspected later this week. If I end up doing the deal, you are welcome to come check her out. I am in Sherman Oaks.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 17 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

You are already doing what you need to. Read and educate yourself so when the right car pops up you will recognize it for what it is and be able to confidently pull the trigger. There are nice and very nice cars that come on the market all the time when you are looking. Just avoid the ones that are pigs wearing lipstick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 17 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #9

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

You can expect a street legal (most are) go cart. The car will be an excellent addition to your stable.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Apr 17 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here is your car: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308409
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Apr 17 2017, 08:36 AM
Post #11

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

decent BLACK 1974 914 possibly up for sale....very fair price for right buyer

Located: North OC

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 17 2017, 09:28 AM
Post #12

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Hey Tim,

There should be some 914s &/or 914 owners at the upcoming PCA Zone 8 Cal Inland Region's Concours on 4/30 8-2 at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, near Tragic Mountain - which isn't too far from you in Thousand Jokes.

Good way to see 914s & talk with other owners, & maybe bum a ride or drive in one. Some of the CAI folks should know the shops up north close to you, but there are some down here near me in OC.

Who knows, maybe there will be a nice 914 FS there if fate has it!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'll be there judging, but not with my 914 which is under a slooow resto, so ask around or look for my blue 88 VW Westy serving as the refreshments/registration/scoring set-up under the awning.

As others have said - find the best one you can, & you should think about whether you want a stock 914 in 4 or 6 flavor - & on the /4's whether you want a 73-74 "GA" 2.0L & the 74 LE Trim variant, or 75-76 "GC" 2.0 (with the noted smog requirement on 76) or a more basic 70-72 1.7L (73 1.7s in CA were detuned to 69 HP so tend to be a bit doggy & conversion fodder) or 74-75 1.8L flavors - or more of a custom 914 resto-mod hot rod 6-conversion/Subie/V8/etc.

If you see yourself happy with a classic look & driving experience of a a 356 coupe, cab or Speedster, or a 912 for the fun driving experience, then even the 1.7 & 1.8 will fill your need.

Don't look for nor compare any classic period Porsche including 914s to your modern Cayman S, since the power-to-weight is completely different, as is the driving experience.

Forget the numbers & bench racing comparisons, but instead compare the driving experience. Many have said it is more fun & thrills to drive a lesser powered car at it's limits, than to drive the modern power beasts at 70-80% or less of their capability. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I'm sure you're not using anywhere near 100% of your Cayman S on Mulholland, but you'll be close to full use of a 914 with all the thrills - IF you don';t get ticketed first! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As you do your research, in addition to the posts & info section on here, you should also look through p914, & Jeff Bowlsby's 914 website's & use his 914 PPI form on any cars:

p914.com (& .net & .org)

Assessment:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

All 914s Info -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

74 914-2.0 LE Info -
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 17 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Welcome, and if I can point out a painful truth, many of the members have one - and have never driven one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

+Quote Post
fst bnna
post Apr 17 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,161

thanks for all the good intel........u guys are great !! Tim
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Apr 17 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,148

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2017, 10:19 AM) *

Welcome, and if I can point out a painful truth, many of the members have one - and have never driven one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I have one and have driven it less than 1 mile. It was awesome!
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Apr 17 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 18 2017, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2017, 10:19 AM) *

I have one and have driven it less than 1 mile. It was awesome!

I have one. They say its cool to drive. Maybe this fall. The build has been a lot of fun.
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Apr 18 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 17 2017, 07:15 AM) *

I wrecked my 67 Mustang Convertible on Mulholland Dr in 1979 going around dead mans curve. I am lucky to be alive! I went out the next day and bought a 914-6 with steel flairs and well sorted for $7000. That evening I went up to the same corner and went twice as fast without flinching!!! I have been hooked on 914's ever since!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Cool story !! I like it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 17 2017, 03:39 PM) *

You can expect a street legal (most are) go cart. The car will be an excellent addition to your stable.

I have one too and couldn´t say it better. It is like a go cart to drive. Don´t know anything about Caymans, but would like to have one too. They would be perfect couple.

+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 18 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,922

914's definitely feel like you are moving faster than a modern car. Most of the time when people ride with me they think I'm speeding when I'm not.

Speed limits are a laughing stock with modern cars, 914's bring back the "fun to drive" and "easy to work on" factor.
+Quote Post
JustinMeier
post Apr 18 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,258

Cuts, bruises, oil stained hands, and a damn good time. Get one with a -6 and you'll love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:59 AM