Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: want one.....but never driven one !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fst bnna
Hi all: I have been lurking on here for awhile........there is so much knowledge and camaraderie on this site,much more than others I frequent....

So, i have been lusting after a 914 for awhile now for a canyon driver.....I currently have a 2010 Cayman s that I have had since new and will keep.....so...

what should I expect? I'm in southern california (thousand oaks) and drive Mulholland and the surrounding canyons........

any information/guidance would be appreciated.......as I am not mechanically inclined any good reputable shops in my area?

thanks again for all for the information, insight and collective knowledge !!

Tim
Coondog
Easy answer, Save up about $15,000 to 18,000 and buy a 914 that is in Xlint cond.
I would stay away from 1976 cars only because of Calif smog rules.

Sure you can find lots of 914s for less then 10K but your frustration and bills will quickly add up. I looked for two years for a rust free Xlint cond. 914 which I found in Arz. and been happy ever since.
Unobtanium-inc
You should always buy the best Porsche you can afford, I've seen too many guys go for "the deal" only to pay the real price over the first year. Find one that some guy obsessed over, and pay his wacky price.
porschetub
Compared to modern cars its not even close,they handle well for their age,steer nice,every gearchange is well thought out and they communicate a pure driving experience that is above many cars of the seventies.....however little or no luxuries ,and nothing like nanny drive the new Porsches have.
Really depends what you are looking for,maybe go and hire a good one or hook up with a Porsche club nearby for a test drive in a members car.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(fst bnna @ Apr 16 2017, 08:56 PM) *

Hi all: I have been lurking on here for awhile........there is so much knowledge and camaraderie on this site,much more than others I frequent....

So, i have been lusting after a 914 for awhile now for a canyon driver.....I currently have a 2010 Cayman s that I have had since new and will keep.....so...

what should I expect? I'm in southern california (thousand oaks) and drive Mulholland and the surrounding canyons........

any information/guidance would be appreciated.......as I am not mechanically inclined any good reputable shops in my area?

thanks again for all for the information, insight and collective knowledge !!

Tim

I wrecked my 67 Mustang Convertible on Mulholland Dr in 1979 going around dead mans curve. I am lucky to be alive! I went out the next day and bought a 914-6 with steel flairs and well sorted for $7000. That evening I went up to the same corner and went twice as fast without flinching!!! I have been hooked on 914's ever since!! beerchug.gif
914_7T3
I have found several shops in and around the San Fernando Valley that are reputable and took a potential purchase to TRE Motorsports in Van Nuys, CA last week.

Dealt with Dave the owner and within less than an hour was able to determine that the car under consideration would need $10,000 more worth of work than its value would be upon completion.

Everyone is correct when they are saying it will cost less in the end to get into a higher priced car that needs less work.

I have another vehicle under consideration currently that will be inspected later this week. If I end up doing the deal, you are welcome to come check her out. I am in Sherman Oaks.
914_7T3
I have found several shops in and around the San Fernando Valley that are reputable and took a potential purchase to TRE Motorsports in Van Nuys, CA last week.

Dealt with Dave the owner and within less than an hour was able to determine that the car under consideration would need $10,000 more worth of work than its value would be upon completion.

Everyone is correct when they are saying it will cost less in the end to get into a higher priced car that needs less work.

I have another vehicle under consideration currently that will be inspected later this week. If I end up doing the deal, you are welcome to come check her out. I am in Sherman Oaks.
Cairo94507
You are already doing what you need to. Read and educate yourself so when the right car pops up you will recognize it for what it is and be able to confidently pull the trigger. There are nice and very nice cars that come on the market all the time when you are looking. Just avoid the ones that are pigs wearing lipstick. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
You can expect a street legal (most are) go cart. The car will be an excellent addition to your stable.
Mike Fitton
Here is your car: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308409
ValcoOscar
decent BLACK 1974 914 possibly up for sale....very fair price for right buyer

Located: North OC
Tom_T
Hey Tim,

There should be some 914s &/or 914 owners at the upcoming PCA Zone 8 Cal Inland Region's Concours on 4/30 8-2 at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, near Tragic Mountain - which isn't too far from you in Thousand Jokes.

Good way to see 914s & talk with other owners, & maybe bum a ride or drive in one. Some of the CAI folks should know the shops up north close to you, but there are some down here near me in OC.

Who knows, maybe there will be a nice 914 FS there if fate has it!? confused24.gif

I'll be there judging, but not with my 914 which is under a slooow resto, so ask around or look for my blue 88 VW Westy serving as the refreshments/registration/scoring set-up under the awning.

As others have said - find the best one you can, & you should think about whether you want a stock 914 in 4 or 6 flavor - & on the /4's whether you want a 73-74 "GA" 2.0L & the 74 LE Trim variant, or 75-76 "GC" 2.0 (with the noted smog requirement on 76) or a more basic 70-72 1.7L (73 1.7s in CA were detuned to 69 HP so tend to be a bit doggy & conversion fodder) or 74-75 1.8L flavors - or more of a custom 914 resto-mod hot rod 6-conversion/Subie/V8/etc.

If you see yourself happy with a classic look & driving experience of a a 356 coupe, cab or Speedster, or a 912 for the fun driving experience, then even the 1.7 & 1.8 will fill your need.

Don't look for nor compare any classic period Porsche including 914s to your modern Cayman S, since the power-to-weight is completely different, as is the driving experience.

Forget the numbers & bench racing comparisons, but instead compare the driving experience. Many have said it is more fun & thrills to drive a lesser powered car at it's limits, than to drive the modern power beasts at 70-80% or less of their capability. driving.gif

I'm sure you're not using anywhere near 100% of your Cayman S on Mulholland, but you'll be close to full use of a 914 with all the thrills - IF you don';t get ticketed first! biggrin.gif

As you do your research, in addition to the posts & info section on here, you should also look through p914, & Jeff Bowlsby's 914 website's & use his 914 PPI form on any cars:

p914.com (& .net & .org)

Assessment:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

All 914s Info -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

74 914-2.0 LE Info -
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

ConeDodger
Welcome, and if I can point out a painful truth, many of the members have one - and have never driven one! av-943.gif

welcome.png
fst bnna
thanks for all the good intel........u guys are great !! Tim
raw1298
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2017, 10:19 AM) *

Welcome, and if I can point out a painful truth, many of the members have one - and have never driven one! av-943.gif

welcome.png

I have one and have driven it less than 1 mile. It was awesome!
Costa05
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 18 2017, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2017, 10:19 AM) *

welcome.png

I have one and have driven it less than 1 mile. It was awesome!

I have one. They say its cool to drive. Maybe this fall. The build has been a lot of fun.
914Timo
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 17 2017, 07:15 AM) *

I wrecked my 67 Mustang Convertible on Mulholland Dr in 1979 going around dead mans curve. I am lucky to be alive! I went out the next day and bought a 914-6 with steel flairs and well sorted for $7000. That evening I went up to the same corner and went twice as fast without flinching!!! I have been hooked on 914's ever since!! beerchug.gif

Cool story !! I like it beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 17 2017, 03:39 PM) *

You can expect a street legal (most are) go cart. The car will be an excellent addition to your stable.

I have one too and couldn´t say it better. It is like a go cart to drive. Don´t know anything about Caymans, but would like to have one too. They would be perfect couple.

Justinp71

914's definitely feel like you are moving faster than a modern car. Most of the time when people ride with me they think I'm speeding when I'm not.

Speed limits are a laughing stock with modern cars, 914's bring back the "fun to drive" and "easy to work on" factor.
JustinMeier
Cuts, bruises, oil stained hands, and a damn good time. Get one with a -6 and you'll love it. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.