Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Noooooo! My car will now not make it to Hershey..., Help!!
dudzy's914
post Apr 19 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #1

The youngin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

So I am getting ready for the drive on Friday, have Tangerine do some adjustmensats, drive it home and now it's on 3 cyclinders. Quickly got new plugs/wires/cap and rotors and still only on 3. Spark plug 1 was black and spark plug 2 was wet with gas. Anything else I can do?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillC
post Apr 19 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Is it carbureted or fuel-injected? Still using points & condenser or converted to electronic ignition?

Have you tried inspecting the spark plugs? You might have a bad one. If you can't see anything obvious, try switching two plugs and see if the problem follows the plug or stays with the cylinder.

Also, have you inspected the points in the distributor? Maybe they weren't tightened properly and need re-adjustment.
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Apr 19 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #3

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(BillC @ Apr 19 2017, 11:51 AM) *

Is it carbureted or fuel-injected? Still using points & condenser or converted to electronic ignition?

Have you tried inspecting the spark plugs? You might have a bad one. If you can't see anything obvious, try switching two plugs and see if the problem follows the plug or stays with the cylinder.

Also, have you inspected the points in the distributor? Maybe they weren't tightened properly and need re-adjustment.

Fuel Injected l-jet. Replaced the spark plugs to see if that was the problem-nope, not it. brand new points and condenser.
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Apr 19 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

Hi,
Pullplug wires one @ a time to find out which hole is bad. Pull plug from bad hole. Check for spark.

I hate tossing parts @ a problem.
+Quote Post
PotterPorsche
post Apr 19 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,628

I had same issue my dirtibutir cap was old and corroded inside. Replaced fouled spark plug and distributor cap and rotor. Ran fine the next day at autocross
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 19 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

He knows exactly which cylinder is bad. Its #2.

Do a compression test on the bad cylinder. That will tell you if the problem is mechanical.
Ground the plug against the engine block and watch for spark. That will test electrical.
Pull the injector and spray it into a jar. make sure it sprays and not drips. That will test fuel delivery.

I'm assuming that the car is running rough but it is not making other bad noises.

Zach
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 19 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 19 2017, 05:09 PM) *

He knows exactly which cylinder is bad. Its #2.

Do a compression test on the bad cylinder. That will tell you if the problem is mechanical.
Ground the plug against the engine block and watch for spark. That will test electrical.
Pull the injector and spray it into a jar. make sure it sprays and not drips. That will test fuel delivery.

I'm assuming that the car is running rough but it is not making other bad noises.

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
If you don't have a compression tester, start with the spark test. Pull plug wire #2, stick a plug in it, ground its threads to the case, and watch for spark when someone cranks it. I love the tests that only take a minute but tell a lot.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 20 2017, 04:41 AM
Post #8

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I spoke with Finn late yesterday.

He did some diagnostics at my suggestion. The engine does run, but barely, and the problem doesn't seem to be isolated to one cylinder.

Since the car needs a clutch anyway its an easy decision to back out of taking it to Hershey.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:18 PM