Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cars about done! Now an Insurance Question.
TM_Corey
post Apr 19 2017, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,809
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I can't believe I am just now thinking about this after 14 months of bring my car back from the dead. I have had my car on my "normal" insurance plan since the day I bought it, even though its value has changed dramatically since then.

So from what I understand it is a pretty normal that most of our cars that have had extensive work on them either by the owner, or by a shop, are worth less then we have in them. (except the 6's I would assume)

How does that work for insurance? Am I just out the "gap" of what the books say it should be worth and what I actually have in it if it were stolen or totaled?

Will a normal insurance agency do a "agreed upon value", or will places like Hagerty's?

I have about a week to figure it out!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 19 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

As to what they will do, that is a question for them.

Agreed Value - where both you and the company agree on the value. Safest bet.

Stated Value - where you State what it's worth. When it comes to a loss, they will likely disagree with you.

Best to get an appraisal from an accredited appraiser every couple years and update your policy accordingly..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillC
post Apr 19 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Normal insurance will use the "book value" of the car, for deciding to repair or total. It will also only pay out a max of "book value" for the car, regardless of what you paid for it or told them it was worth.

Hagerty's and other classic car insurance will insure your car for whatever value you specify, within reason. Plus, it's usually less expensive than normal insurance. The catch is that the car is not supposed to be used for everyday travel, but the levels/areas of restriction vary between companies.

I have Hagerty's on my 914, and have been pretty happy with them so far. However, I have not yet (fortunately) had to use the insurance for anything, so don't have any first-hand experience with their claims process.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Apr 19 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,908

I had my /6 appraised a couple years ago (probably time to do it again). Took it in to State Farm and they wrote a policy for 'stated value' of the appraisal. No restrictions on driving it.
In the event of a loss, they will pay repairs up to policy stated value, no quibbling.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Apr 19 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

My neighbor has an classic Buick Conv. insured by Classic auto ins. I called them up and although the price was reasonable they would not insure for driving a lot of miles. When I told them I planned on driving the car long distances to places like Kentucky or Niagara falls maybe Key West. they told me they wouldn't cover it.

I think Hagarty will allow you unlimited mileage. but you must state that when purchasing insurance
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 19 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I have American Modern. 1/2 the price of Hagerty and full coverage. $135 year for my 1st 914 then added a second 914 for $65 year. you have to shop around and get quotes and see what the coverage is for each. Mine will let me drive to work and play. I just have to keep in a garage at my house and have a daily driver.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Apr 19 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,639

I had a claim with Hagerty some years ago. They made it very easy and were actually proactive in making sure that the repairs were done properly and to the highest standard. It was not a Porsche but they were great with my sourcing rare NOS parts from different sources and using multiple shops. I am a customer for life.
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Apr 19 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 19 2017, 05:09 PM) *

I have American Modern. 1/2 the price of Hagerty and full coverage. $135 year for my 1st 914 then added a second 914 for $65 year. you have to shop around and get quotes and see what the coverage is for each. Mine will let me drive to work and play. I just have to keep in a garage at my house and have a daily driver.

is this an agreed value policy? Is there an annual mileage limit? I've got a agreed value of $14k for $97 with Haggerty.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 19 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Hagerty no question
+Quote Post
TM_Corey
post Apr 19 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,809

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Apr 19 2017, 08:15 PM) *

I had a claim with Hagerty some years ago. They made it very easy and were actually proactive in making sure that the repairs were done properly and to the highest standard. It was not a Porsche but they were great with my sourcing rare NOS parts from different sources and using multiple shops. I am a customer for life.

Hagerty is sounding pretty good. I'll have to see if they have a table at Hershey.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 19 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,732

I have both my 914's with Hagerty for stated value. Had to send them photos of the cars.
Luckily haven't had to "use" them as well.

McKeel Hagerty is a Porsche guy too...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 19 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Apr 19 2017, 05:21 PM) *

In the event of a loss, they will pay repairs up to policy stated value, no quibbling.

You might want to re-read the fine print in your policy. In many cases, the "Stated Value" policies will pay out up to the stated amount, or up to the "fair market value". Which they use the KBB to determine. And since the insurance company gets to choose if they use the stated value or the KBB value, guess which one they pick?

Hopefully yours isn't like that, but many are.

--DD
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 19 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #13

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Both Hagerty and Leland West (American modern) have requirements for a newer model daily driver, they also require covered garage... im not sure if they are more lenient on lower value policies.

I had Hagerty on my 930 for several years. They had awesome customer service, their mag and website tools are cool. I had to use the roadside assistance once, it was a nightmare (took 3 hrs - couldn't get a tow company out, holiday weekend Sunday, ugh) but they called me every 15 min with updates. (Good and bad). They went out of network to try and get a flatbed there faster... regardless they sent me a 100 gift card for the hassle, upon renewal they offered a comp on the highest roadside program because of the issue. I shopped around when the values skyrocketed (as did my premiums) and ultimately went with Leland West (they are a PCA sponsor). In the end it was 30% less, and got rave reviews from my local PCA members. Thankfully, I have yet to make a claim...
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 19 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #14

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Sorry but i just had to speak up

Hagerty is complete ass hats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

Grundy is where you wanna be .
Jim grundy endorsed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

" its your car , drive it as you wish ."

109$ full coverage and 250$ worth of towing

-------------------

Anybody who lets some old lady at hagerty tell you how, why and when to drive your car shouldn't even have a 914 . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Im not gonna be happy until im doin mach 2 with my hair on fire

But thats just me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 20 2017, 04:15 AM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Apr 19 2017, 10:35 PM) *

is this an agreed value policy? Is there an annual mileage limit? I've got a agreed value of $14k for $97 with Haggerty.

Agreed value, 5k mileage, $5.00/thousand miles if I go over. They never ask though.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Apr 20 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #16

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Apr 19 2017, 06:15 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I had a similar experience a '47 Lincoln. They were very focused on making sure the car got fixed right.
+Quote Post
john77
post Apr 20 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,027

I have my 914 and my BMW 2002 insured through ANPAC. Like Hagerty, and I think most classic policies, they'll only insure you if you have another car as a daily driver BUT I can drive the 914 and 2002 anytime, anywhere, for any reason I like.

That said, in defense of Hagerty, I did have another BMW 2002 insured through them that some dipshit decided to reverse out of parking garage entrance into the front of (Dipshit may seem harsh, but he actually got out of his car and said 'It wasn't my fault, I just didn't see you behind me'...)

Hagerty were nothing but helpful, paid out $17K for repairs within a week of the accident without blinking and never once asked me why I was driving the car that day, whether I was going to a show, etc etc...
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post Apr 20 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,312

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Apr 19 2017, 09:35 PM) *

Hey Type 47, could you confirm that is how little you are paying Hagerty? I have to renew my policy soon. I'm paying $182/year with a guaranteed value of only $7k. I'll be calling to complain as I have garage and modern daily drivers in addition to the teener. I'm sure they'll chalk it up to location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
drem914
post Apr 20 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 9,062

Just did a quick quote on line for my '75 1.8 and Hagerty wants $350/year for stated valuation of $15K?? Is this another penalty for living in Southern California along with all the other "fees" we get his with?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 20 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(drem914 @ Apr 20 2017, 02:25 PM) *

Just did a quick quote on line for my '75 1.8 and Hagerty wants $350/year for stated valuation of $15K?? Is this another penalty for living in Southern California along with all the other "fees" we get his with?

That's why you have to shop around. Hagerty wanted 2X what I pay now for the same coverage. I'm not knocking them, you just want to know your options. It may be location but it may not.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:44 AM