Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door Strike Plate Mounting
jvmarino
post Apr 21 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,188
Region Association: None

I have searched for the answer to my question multiple times over the years (when I get inspired to search for the answer every so often), and thought I would just put it out there for input from other owners.

When I restored my 1974 2.0 many years ago (before there was much internet info), I had the door jambs repaired, and there was nothing to screw the door strike plates to. I fabricated a 1/4" solid steel plate that was drilled/tapped so I could adjust the strike as needed and tighten it to jamb (sandwich jamb sheet metal between strike plate and tapped steel plate). Has worked fine all of these years, but I always figured there may have been more in the original design.

I have found replacement angle pieces that look to get welded to the backside of the jamb and the unibody wall inside the rear fender, but still no idea what the strike was screwed into from the factory.

I am sure what I have is functionally correct, but probably doesn't meet side impact requirements (especially on the later cars with the impact beams in the door). Have found very little info or pictures on the internet. Hoping someone here can enlighten me as to how the strike plates were factory installed.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Apr 21 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

The rectangular box holds the back side of the strike plate. it just floats in the box. Sounds like you already have the same setup just missing the outer sheet metal box. Probably doesn't add much structurally to the door jamb.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 22 2017, 07:03 AM
Post #3

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Great picture and clean inner fender/door jamb.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jvmarino
post Apr 22 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,188
Region Association: None

Thanks for the pictures. What I have seen as parts sold (Restoration Design among others) are the attached.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:35 AM