Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coil Foil, Unplugged and without a connection
forrestkhaag
post Apr 24 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just curious about experiences with MSD coils, coil wires and my debacle.

I have recently purchased the MSD AL6 digital ignition system and MSD Tech recommended to me to only use the MSD Blaster 2 coil (duhhhh) / so I bought that piece of the puzzle to add to the setup. Both were delivered w/o a coil wire which is no surprise. What is a surprise is that the blaster 2 coil has its center connector (female) sticking out about twice the length of a bosch coil. No coil wire on the shelf for a 911 dizzy would ever reach down in there to get to the woil contact. I called MSD Tech and they said they would send me out a wire. They did. It arrived and it looks like it has two spark plug ends on it / not coil to wire end much less coil wire to dizzy end. I called and they said they would send another wire. Same thing showed up in a different color / both with MSD on the wire and ends. there must be some pair of connectors that mate to a stock 911 bosch cap and to the blaster two to make these wires work.

Pics of solutions would be great / thanks

Clues Robert?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Apr 24 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 24 2017, 10:24 AM) *

Just curious about experiences with MSD coils, coil wires and my debacle.

I have recently purchased the MSD AL6 digital ignition system and MSD Tech recommended to me to only use the MSD Blaster 2 coil (duhhhh) / so I bought that piece of the puzzle to add to the setup. Both were delivered w/o a coil wire which is no surprise. What is a surprise is that the blaster 2 coil has its center connector (female) sticking out about twice the length of a bosch coil. No coil wire on the shelf for a 911 dizzy would ever reach down in there to get to the woil contact. I called MSD Tech and they said they would send me out a wire. They did. It arrived and it looks like it has two spark plug ends on it / not coil to wire end much less coil wire to dizzy end. I called and they said they would send another wire. Same thing showed up in a different color / both with MSD on the wire and ends. there must be some pair of connectors that mate to a stock 911 bosch cap and to the blaster two to make these wires work.

Pics of solutions would be great / thanks

Clues Robert?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 24 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

How about pics of what you have?

The stock coil wire has a connector on the end that is cylinder-shaped, and the rubber boot can be slid up or down the wire as needed to get things covered correctly.

--DD
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post May 11 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #4

Thanks Dave: I have since solved this MSD (Mostly Solved Debacle) conundrum of a fairly well known supplier (MSD) selling a coil that doesn't even begin to mate to their coil wires.
I resorted to purchasing from to the local hot rod shop an aftermarket coil wire that had in the kit, an extra ling copper connector that I snaked down the throat of the MSD coil then I pushed the MSD coil wire boot on to it / all neatly held securely in place with an over-sized two inch piece of black shrink-wrap. It all looks business like and seems to have solved the debacle.

Thanks again

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 11 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Still would have liked to seen the pics....

How do you have the coil mounted?
/6 guys have had several failures with the MSD oil filled coils mounted in the stock location on the fan. They do work well as long as they are mounted upright on the firewall, etc.

For the stock fan location use the MSD high vibration coil.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 11 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Try this place:
Kingsborne Wire Werks, Inc.
760-736-4020

I don't know for certain, but I'll bet they can help.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post May 12 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #7

thanks guys / Upright mount on original brain box bracket separate from the engine vibes.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:10 AM