Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Realistic Top speed of a 914
Calwaterbear
post Apr 25 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 10:07 AM) *

All the simulations I have done with my current setup say I should be able to get close to 200mph at my high power setting and current gearing...

Will I ever do that? Not likely...

Most I've done is 150, and the rear end gets extremely light at that speed.

Serious aero would be required (Full undertray front to rear) if someone was serious about going big speeds (180+) in a 914.

What calculators are you using. I can tell you from our experience at Bonneville, using tire size, gearing and RPM to calculate top speed is a complete waste of time. The things that matter most are frontal area, CD of the car, weight. With those numbers you can calculate - or use on line calculators - wallace racing has all sorts of them, to calculate top speed.

Air resistance kills you at high speed. To double any given speed - you will need 8X the horespower, so once you get up 150-200, the wind resistance is absolutely gobbling up your horsepower. In that case, you probably don't have enough ponies to get to gear/rpm calculated speed, just not enough HP.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Apr 25 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2017, 02:28 PM) *

Gearing will not be cheap.
You might want to look at those costs first.
Body wings etc are all available easily.
Gearing is not as easy to source.

Tall tires are a quick way to change the ratio

Its the horsepower that will eat your lunch money! Thats where you get the top speed, gearing is useless w/o the ponys to push it, and believe me, it takes lot of HP to push you up toward 200
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 25 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 25 2017, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2017, 02:28 PM) *

Gearing will not be cheap.
You might want to look at those costs first.
Body wings etc are all available easily.
Gearing is not as easy to source.

Tall tires are a quick way to change the ratio

Its the horsepower that will eat your lunch money! Thats where you get the top speed, gearing is useless w/o the ponys to push it, and believe me, it takes lot of HP to push you up toward 200

I think I remember reading that the Ford GT that went 293 mph had 2500 hp.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 25 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 25 2017, 05:10 PM) *
The things that matter most are frontal area, CD of the car, weight.

Weight matters for acceleration but not for top speed.

In fact, more weight may help stabilize a car near top speed. It just takes longer to get to top speed.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 25 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #25

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 25 2017, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 10:07 AM) *

All the simulations I have done with my current setup say I should be able to get close to 200mph at my high power setting and current gearing...

Will I ever do that? Not likely...

Most I've done is 150, and the rear end gets extremely light at that speed.

Serious aero would be required (Full undertray front to rear) if someone was serious about going big speeds (180+) in a 914.

What calculators are you using. I can tell you from our experience at Bonneville, using tire size, gearing and RPM to calculate top speed is a complete waste of time. The things that matter most are frontal area, CD of the car, weight. With those numbers you can calculate - or use on line calculators - wallace racing has all sorts of them, to calculate top speed.

Air resistance kills you at high speed. To double any given speed - you will need 8X the horespower, so once you get up 150-200, the wind resistance is absolutely gobbling up your horsepower. In that case, you probably don't have enough ponies to get to gear/rpm calculated speed, just not enough HP.

Truthfully modern video games that take CD, weight, power, tire size, ect into calculation. Forza motorsports to be exact.

My gearing I believe is limited to 205 or better but after recreating my car with the exact speeds it actually does in testing puting in the appropriate gear ratios with the final drive adjusted for my larger tire diameter I seem to only get up to about 197ish when I give the car about 530hp (my estimated high power figure).

+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Apr 25 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,069

Thanks for the input, If I run as a G/GT its an open record, so if I just run in that class it's a record (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Also none of blown records have ever been run so gives some scope to play some more, with a turbo combo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Engine Class Breaks
A 103 440 - 500 cid (7.21 L - 8.19 L)
B 104 373 - 439 cid (6.11 L - 7.19 L)
C 105 306 - 372 cid (5.01 L - 6.10 L)
D 106 261 - 305 cid (4.27 L - 5.00 L)
E 107 184 - 260 cid (3.01 L - 4.26 L)
F 108 123 - 183 cid (2.01 L - 3.00 L)
G 109 93 - 122 cid (1.51 L - 2.00 L

Blown Grand Touring Sports - /BGT
Class Entry Driver Year Speed (mph)
A/BGT
B/BGT
D/BGT
E/BGT
F/BGT
G/BGT
H/BGT
I/BGT
J/BGT
Unblown Grand Touring Sports - /GT
Class Entry Driver Year Speed (mph)
A/GT
B/GT
C/GT
D/GT
E/GT Phil Shephard 2015 (2010, 2009, 2004) 170.068 (161.870, 149.253, 146.127)
F/GT Stephen Bridge 2010 139.919
G/GT
H/GT Hugo Halls 2013 80.504
I/GT
J/GT
The class rules
Grand Touring Sport: /BGT, /GT (Gas Only)
Series production sports cars and coupes, as well as limited production cars by a recognized automobile manufacturer, which are primarily intended for comfortable high speed touring. At least 500 of the same model must have been produced. This category does not include cars with rear seats suitable for continued adult occupancy.
The following items must be retained in stock location and of the same year as the body: frame, fenders, hood, grille, drip rails (must not be filled), windows, door handles, window trim, headlights (high and low beam), tail lights, parking lights, stop lights, radiator, both bumpers and horn. Stock gas tank must be fitted, but need not be used. Any transmission, non-quick change rear end, and starter capable of starting engine may be used, as long as the original running gear design is retained. Independent rear suspension may be replaced with any non-quick change rear end.
The following body and chassis modifications may be made: wheel openings may be radiused, generator may be removed and any exhaust system capable of being closed off may be used (no individual stacks). Air dams and air spoilers identical to factory optional equipment for the body in question may be added, bucket seats may be used (as long as original side panel upholstery or equivalent remain) minor chrome trim and emblems may be removed, and air scoops may be used. Stock windshield may not be removed or lowered.
Any tarps must be nonrigid. Engine swaps are permitted, as long as they are of the same manufacturer (e.g., Ford into Ford, Porsche into Porsche, etc.).
This class may run nitrous oxide, but will be advanced two (2) engine classes.
The following are not permitted: streamlining, belly pans, air ducts, air vents, headlight air scoops, chopping, channeling, quick change rear ends, stepped frames, exhaust outlets through the front fenders or hood, blocked off grilles or radiators, engine relocation, body and interior gutting, taped body or window seams.
Rules for this class will be strictly enforced to ensure that cars entered herein are typical of street machines which may be purchased from an automobile dealer.
Engine classes allowed are: AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J
Body Code Body Class Description
314 BGT Blown Grand Touring Sports
337 GT Unblown Grand Touring Sports
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 25 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #27

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm glad my car is gear limited, red line comes in awful fast.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 25 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 25 2017, 07:15 PM) *

The following body and chassis modifications may be made: wheel openings may be radiused, generator may be removed and any exhaust system capable of being closed off may be used (no individual stacks). Air dams and air spoilers identical to factory optional equipment for the body in question may be added, bucket seats may be used (as long as original side panel upholstery or equivalent remain) minor chrome trim and emblems may be removed, and air scoops may be used. Stock windshield may not be removed or lowered.
Any tarps must be nonrigid. Engine swaps are permitted, as long as they are of the same manufacturer (e.g., Ford into Ford, Porsche into Porsche, etc.).

How bad ass do you want to go?

Is the 914 qualified as a Porsche or a VW in your area?

IF its a VW you could run the same engine swap that I am running (Audi 1.8T) and pretty much put as much power as you want into the chassis like Im doing..

If its Porsche you could run the VR6 motor from the Porsche Cayenne, build it, turbo it and make 1XXXhp...
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 25 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

I just want to change lanes on the freeway without having to think if I have the HP to make the move.......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Apr 25 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #30

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

.............there's a reason the tail is so HUGE on my 914's "roommate".... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 26 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #31

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Doesn't the ultimate top speed depend on how high the jack stands are?
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Apr 26 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #32

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 25 2017, 06:00 PM) *

I've had my 3.2 with my stock 901 up to 130mph(GPS). My experience is that in stock form, the car doesn't feel stable at all at that speed. It gets incredibly light feeling.

Oddly enough, when I was at that speed, LaMonica pulled away from me in his 3.6 like I was sitting still. He just had his tranny reworked. He said he hit 150. I don't know what his speed was but when I finally caught up with him at the hotel he was putting his front trunk seal back in place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I remember that run! My car got pretty damn light too, and I think I was going about the same 130 mph you were. I didn't like that feeling, so I backed off. That was my first high-speed run in a 914. It felt quite different than the 140 mph run I've done in my old 968. The 968 was heavier, not as quick, but faster and felt better since it squatted down a bit more at high speeds. I like the 914 for it's quick acceleration and quick handling, but not really too much at high speed.
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post Apr 27 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 14,276
Region Association: None

Had the LS6 V8 914 up to 155 MPH at Pocono at 11:25 of this video and ran out of racetrack. Handled fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGGS6VpOxg

+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Apr 30 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,069

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2017, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 25 2017, 07:15 PM) *

How bad ass do you want to go?

Is the 914 qualified as a Porsche or a VW in your area?

IF its a VW you could run the same engine swap that I am running (Audi 1.8T) and pretty much put as much power as you want into the chassis like Im doing..

If its Porsche you could run the VR6 motor from the Porsche Cayenne, build it, turbo it and make 1XXXhp...

Was thinking more along the factory hot rod line. sort of like a 916 clone and run a 3.0 engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
The car is know as Porsche down here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and because there aren't many around not many would know what the hell it is or should be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
I have an ex race car shell that I could loan my 914-6 bits to, and run the 2.0 class while the 914-6 body is being derusted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
6freak
post May 1 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #35

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Apr 27 2017, 01:20 PM) *

Had the LS6 V8 914 up to 155 MPH at Pocono at 11:25 of this video and ran out of racetrack. Handled fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGGS6VpOxg

probably go even faster once he figures out theres a 4 th gear in that 5 speed gearbox....wonder what size tires he has..... it sounds good
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sechszylinder
post May 4 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 545

Some time ago, I drove with approx. 118 mph on a german autobahn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
The car is a stock 2.0l four banger with megasquirt injection and it seems to me that this was top speed.
But I promise, I will never do it again. Very noisy and lots of bigger and faster cars in my rearview mirror ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Benno
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 4 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #37

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ May 4 2017, 08:43 AM) *
Some time ago, I drove with approx. 118 mph on a german autobahn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
The car is a stock 2.0l four banger with megasquirt injection and it seems to me that this was top speed.
But I promise, I will never do it again. Very noisy and lots of bigger and faster cars in my rearview mirror ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I've driven faster than that on the Autobahn in my '94 Renault Twingo ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Treknwil
post May 4 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 20,257

I had my stock 1970 1.7L up to 125, but it felt like I was floating. I changed lanes(went from the slow lane to the fast lane on a 4 lane freeway) at that speed and when I reach the fast lane the car drifted into the emergency lane just a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . So needless to say, I backed off just a bit. And I was at red line and could smell the engine getting hot.
+Quote Post
sechszylinder
post May 4 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 545

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2017, 09:09 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) you just made my day !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
benno
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 4 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #40

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2017, 10:09 AM) *

I wouldn't tell anybody I drove a car called a twingo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:01 AM