Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sell my 2.0 Engine or not?, Doing the 3.0L SC swap... debating selling the stock 2.0
914forme
post Apr 28 2017, 06:59 AM
Post #21

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 27 2017, 11:01 PM) *

I disagree on this one. The '73 2.0 is the second most collectible 914 behind the sixes, and this looks to be a pretty nice car. If it were me, I would restore it or sell it as a restoration candidate and buy a different car for the conversion.

You have an excellent point, here is my take on this having an ubber rare factory 914-6. Do it go to the dark side never look back.

BTW, to me the 73 2.0L is over appreciated as a collector. The 74-2.0L with out all the appearance group stuff is where it is at. One nobody keeps them that way. Two they have one of the best power to weight ratios of a stock 914, very important to me when I started auto-xing in stock classes. I am in a minority here, and glad to be there.

This is why I am restomodding my 914-6, enjoy the car if someone whats to offer you stupid money for it, it is nothing that you have done that, can't be reveresed for stupid money.

And believe me, the only 73 2.0L worth tons of $$$$$ is an all original 73 2.0L.

Current trend is to not buy over restored cars, people like patina, it is the driver of the barn find movement. As you can see from the muscle car crowd there is room for all of us. Stock, to full on custom, I like them all, but I will say, I love someone who has taken something made it even better, might be ugly as hell but has great underpinnings and engineering over a dolled up pig. Your car I love the colors the stripe, the letters in orange and the fact you tied the orange in on the floor mats, it is nice and subtle. It like the rake, everything was done either on purpose or shear accident for a look. I dig the look, it is almost timeless.

What it needs a -6 to make it that much more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) And if you feel like the next owner will want the -4 numbers matching engine by all means keep it. You and I both know engines that sit become pieces of scrap metal. Bad things happen to them. So if it was me, and you wanted it around, I would make it into a coffee table. Keep the carbs on it, clean it up, pull the engine tins so you can see the fins and all the little details, coat the internals in dry graphite to give it a fitting chance. Build a stand and slap a piece of glass onto of the carb airhorns, and bam you have a table. And when one someone comes to buy the car and wants the numbers matching engine, you point to the table and say there it is, it will be an additional $10K - $20K - $30K what ever your stupid number is. Or it can be a reminder of the good times with a car you built.

It is your car build it for you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) them!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 28 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #22

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

You've already made the right decision. Since you are modifying the body to accept the 6 it will never be original. Sell those lumps!
+Quote Post
RichPugh
post Apr 28 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,068
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Thanks!
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Apr 28 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2017, 04:53 AM) *

My vote is go balls deep, sell the /4's, convert it to a /6 and cut your /4 engine hangers off.
Don't look back.

Right on

Dump the old engines and go balls out
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 28 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #25

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2017, 03:53 AM) *

My vote is go balls deep, sell the /4's, convert it to a /6 and cut your /4 engine hangers off.
Don't look back.

What I did. Cary has my engine mounts. But I started with a non-running 1.7. I rebuilt that one as a 2056 and swapped it into my '76 2.0. The idea was to have a rebuilt motor ready to go.

The answer is plain as can be. You need two 914's. In fact I love the power of the 3.6 conversion, but for tossing around the autocross, I will always go with the 4 banger. So you need 2 of them.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Apr 28 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

I'm doing a six conversion right now. I sold the original engine a few weeks ago. No regrets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:51 AM