Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Headers to engine, What hardware?
john77
post May 3 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

Took headers off 12 months ago. 12 months later, all hardware has vanished into, well, wherever hardware goes to die. I'm about to order new gaskets from the bird site but all I can find on there are barrel nuts, which are $2.75 each, and I don't fancy spending $33 on new fancy nuts for better clearance as my headers have no clearance issues.

What type of hardware did the factory use? Lock nuts? Nylocks? Regular nuts with lock washers? Copper nuts? Hazelnuts?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
yellow75
post May 3 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,452
Region Association: None

I believe the factory used copper nuts so they would not seize.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post May 3 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #3

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Copper nuts...copper gaskets
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 3 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(john77 @ May 3 2017, 04:24 PM) *

Took headers off 12 months ago. 12 months later, all hardware has vanished into, well, wherever hardware goes to die. I'm about to order new gaskets from the bird site but all I can find on there are barrel nuts, which are $2.75 each, and I don't fancy spending $33 on new fancy nuts for better clearance as my headers have no clearance issues.

What type of hardware did the factory use? Lock nuts? Nylocks? Regular nuts with lock washers? Copper nuts? Hazelnuts?

The barrel nuts need to be use with factory heat exchangers, with headers you can use regular class 8 or class 10 nuts.
If you have the room use a thick washer, I often will grind the washer off to a 3/4 moon shape to clear the tube/welds.

If you have scrapped a tranny I like the OE nuts off of them as they have a helicoil in them, so the threads are extra strong.
If you have little room you can get 12mm and even 11mm head size M8 nuts (audi V8) with a flange on them.

I'm not crazy about the copper nuts (really copper plated steel nuts) as the have a crush that damages the stud threads. Nylocks the lock part will melt.
Don't use stainless nuts, they are too soft and gall the threads.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners...M8-1.25$|~
+Quote Post
john77
post May 3 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,027

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 3 2017, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ May 3 2017, 04:24 PM) *

The barrel nuts need to be use with factory heat exchangers, with headers you can use regular class 8 or class 10 nuts.
If you have the room use a thick washer, I often will grind the washer off to a 3/4 moon shape to clear the tube/welds.

If you have scrapped a tranny I like the OE nuts off of them as they have a helicoil in them, so the threads are extra strong.
If you have little room you can get 12mm and even 11mm head size M8 nuts (audi V8) with a flange on them.

I'm not crazy about the copper nuts (really copper plated steel nuts) as the have a crush that damages the stud threads. Nylocks the lock part will melt.
Don't use stainless nuts, they are too soft and gall the threads.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners...M8-1.25$|~

Perfect, thanks for the info Mark. As (bad) luck has it, I do actually have a trashed 901 so I'll see if I can reuse any of those.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 06:07 PM