Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headers to engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Took headers off 12 months ago. 12 months later, all hardware has vanished into, well, wherever hardware goes to die. I'm about to order new gaskets from the bird site but all I can find on there are barrel nuts, which are $2.75 each, and I don't fancy spending $33 on new fancy nuts for better clearance as my headers have no clearance issues.

What type of hardware did the factory use? Lock nuts? Nylocks? Regular nuts with lock washers? Copper nuts? Hazelnuts?

yellow75
I believe the factory used copper nuts so they would not seize.
7TPorsh
Copper nuts...copper gaskets
Mark Henry
QUOTE(john77 @ May 3 2017, 04:24 PM) *

Took headers off 12 months ago. 12 months later, all hardware has vanished into, well, wherever hardware goes to die. I'm about to order new gaskets from the bird site but all I can find on there are barrel nuts, which are $2.75 each, and I don't fancy spending $33 on new fancy nuts for better clearance as my headers have no clearance issues.

What type of hardware did the factory use? Lock nuts? Nylocks? Regular nuts with lock washers? Copper nuts? Hazelnuts?

The barrel nuts need to be use with factory heat exchangers, with headers you can use regular class 8 or class 10 nuts.
If you have the room use a thick washer, I often will grind the washer off to a 3/4 moon shape to clear the tube/welds.

If you have scrapped a tranny I like the OE nuts off of them as they have a helicoil in them, so the threads are extra strong.
If you have little room you can get 12mm and even 11mm head size M8 nuts (audi V8) with a flange on them.

I'm not crazy about the copper nuts (really copper plated steel nuts) as the have a crush that damages the stud threads. Nylocks the lock part will melt.
Don't use stainless nuts, they are too soft and gall the threads.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners...M8-1.25$|~
john77
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 3 2017, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ May 3 2017, 04:24 PM) *

The barrel nuts need to be use with factory heat exchangers, with headers you can use regular class 8 or class 10 nuts.
If you have the room use a thick washer, I often will grind the washer off to a 3/4 moon shape to clear the tube/welds.

If you have scrapped a tranny I like the OE nuts off of them as they have a helicoil in them, so the threads are extra strong.
If you have little room you can get 12mm and even 11mm head size M8 nuts (audi V8) with a flange on them.

I'm not crazy about the copper nuts (really copper plated steel nuts) as the have a crush that damages the stud threads. Nylocks the lock part will melt.
Don't use stainless nuts, they are too soft and gall the threads.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners...M8-1.25$|~

Perfect, thanks for the info Mark. As (bad) luck has it, I do actually have a trashed 901 so I'll see if I can reuse any of those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.