Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outdoor car covers..., Any recommendations?
scallyk9
post May 11 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I may have to keep a 1974 914 outside temporarily and I'm thinking of getting a car cover to protect it from rainy, damp, Pacific Northwest weather.

I've been doing some internet research but all purveyors say their products are the ultimate protection and all fit perfectly. Does anyone use these and have a brand name or source to recommend?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 11 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I make a cover for the cockpit, not a full cover. It is waterproof.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=umbrella+cover

I'm using a different material. It's a full waterproof tarpaulin material. It's not as supple as I'd prefer but it's very UV stable and tough.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post May 11 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,499

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ May 11 2017, 08:42 PM) *

I make a cover for the cockpit, not a full cover. It is waterproof.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=umbrella+cover

I'm using a different material. It's a full waterproof tarpaulin material. It's not as supple as I'd prefer but it's very UV stable and tough.

I know. I bought one a few months ago and love it. It's on my "carport" 914 LE. Looking for a full cover now mainly for protection from tree sap for another 914. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 11 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

So, you buy a full car cover. Cover the car with it. A little dust and dirt blows under the full car cover. The wind starts blowin' really hard. OK, maybe just a little bit. The full car cover flaps away sanding your paint down to the metal. Happened to a friends fully restored Mercedes. Be very careful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 12 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

On my third cover now,first one was expensive,second one cheaper by 60% and it lasted for a little less than the first one,wind is the enemy of them,the constant moving seems to wear them out...however the biggest killer is the UV which is very high in my part of the world.
If you buy a cover make sure you buy one that goes right to the ground,helps reduce the dust getting under the cover as Elliot mentioned.
My third one is the same as the second one,nice fit multi-layered and cost $49 on special from ebay,bloody freight nearly cost more to get it to my country.
These covers claim to be breathable but I always leave my window down slightly saves the musty smell getting inside.
In summary I now class these as a disposable item in my weather/climate situation so would never pay a lot for one again.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post May 12 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

CoverKing Silverlight is a great cover. I have 2 of them and one is going on 6 years in the Arizona sun (about half the time). When it finally wears out I'll get another just like it. Got mine from the Bird.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 12 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ May 11 2017, 07:53 PM) *
I may have to keep a 1974 914 outside temporarily and I'm thinking of getting a car cover to protect it from rainy, damp, Pacific Northwest weather.
I've been doing some internet research but all purveyors say their products are the ultimate protection and all fit perfectly. Does anyone use these and have a brand name or source to recommend?

Home made by my girlfriend ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1392499519.jpg)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post May 12 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Perry's umbrella cover and a noah full car cover did my car well when I was building my garage and needed to have it outside for a few months.

I made sure to put cotton balls with drops of pure peppermint oil under the car to deter mice.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 12 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 13 2017, 11:57 AM) *

CoverKing Silverlight is a great cover. I have 2 of them and one is going on 6 years in the Arizona sun (about half the time). When it finally wears out I'll get another just like it. Got mine from the Bird.

Oh dear ,my first one was Coverking,must be our sun here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 13 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 12 2017, 03:10 PM) *

On my third cover now,first one was expensive,second one cheaper by 60% and it lasted for a little less than the first one,wind is the enemy of them,the constant moving seems to wear them out...however the biggest killer is the UV which is very high in my part of the world.
If you buy a cover make sure you buy one that goes right to the ground,helps reduce the dust getting under the cover as Elliot mentioned.
My third one is the same as the second one,nice fit multi-layered and cost $49 on special from ebay,bloody freight nearly cost more to get it to my country.
These covers claim to be breathable but I always leave my window down slightly saves the musty smell getting inside.
In summary I now class these as a disposable item in my weather/climate situation so would never pay a lot for one again.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I lost count of the number and variety of covers I've watched get shredded after a season or two by wind and sun. My first cover was also a Coverking Silverlight. I was just hoping a quality car cover would outlast cheap tarps to keep the rain out of a car intended for restoration. They didn't, and even though I didn't care about the paint, the covers left their marks. But my climate is pretty brutal.
+Quote Post
second wind
post May 13 2017, 03:25 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

I highly recommend California Car Covers. Close to $400 but OMG fits like a glove and is of highest quality. Washed it once and it came out like new. Wind does not affect it in any way. All the best!!
gg
+Quote Post
black73
post May 13 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,801
Region Association: South East States

Get one of these...Micobead car cover and cover it with one of these...Amazon car covers.
Basically, a car cover for your car cover, so it will last longer and protect better.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 13 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2017, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ May 11 2017, 07:53 PM) *

Home made by my girlfriend ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1392499519.jpg)

Holy crap Andy! She made it out of your pants! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post May 14 2017, 02:33 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,308

Get the California Cover Noah fabric cover. Do NOT run it through the dryer. It will break down the fibers in the fabric. Noah fabric is made by Kimberly Clark. I also have the Perry cover. Great for cockpit only.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:42 PM