Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outdoor car covers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scallyk9
I may have to keep a 1974 914 outside temporarily and I'm thinking of getting a car cover to protect it from rainy, damp, Pacific Northwest weather.

I've been doing some internet research but all purveyors say their products are the ultimate protection and all fit perfectly. Does anyone use these and have a brand name or source to recommend?
IronHillRestorations
I make a cover for the cockpit, not a full cover. It is waterproof.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=umbrella+cover

I'm using a different material. It's a full waterproof tarpaulin material. It's not as supple as I'd prefer but it's very UV stable and tough.
scallyk9
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ May 11 2017, 08:42 PM) *

I make a cover for the cockpit, not a full cover. It is waterproof.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=umbrella+cover

I'm using a different material. It's a full waterproof tarpaulin material. It's not as supple as I'd prefer but it's very UV stable and tough.

I know. I bought one a few months ago and love it. It's on my "carport" 914 LE. Looking for a full cover now mainly for protection from tree sap for another 914. Thanks!
Elliot Cannon
So, you buy a full car cover. Cover the car with it. A little dust and dirt blows under the full car cover. The wind starts blowin' really hard. OK, maybe just a little bit. The full car cover flaps away sanding your paint down to the metal. Happened to a friends fully restored Mercedes. Be very careful. huh.gif
porschetub
On my third cover now,first one was expensive,second one cheaper by 60% and it lasted for a little less than the first one,wind is the enemy of them,the constant moving seems to wear them out...however the biggest killer is the UV which is very high in my part of the world.
If you buy a cover make sure you buy one that goes right to the ground,helps reduce the dust getting under the cover as Elliot mentioned.
My third one is the same as the second one,nice fit multi-layered and cost $49 on special from ebay,bloody freight nearly cost more to get it to my country.
These covers claim to be breathable but I always leave my window down slightly saves the musty smell getting inside.
In summary I now class these as a disposable item in my weather/climate situation so would never pay a lot for one again.
michael7810
CoverKing Silverlight is a great cover. I have 2 of them and one is going on 6 years in the Arizona sun (about half the time). When it finally wears out I'll get another just like it. Got mine from the Bird.
SirAndy
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ May 11 2017, 07:53 PM) *
I may have to keep a 1974 914 outside temporarily and I'm thinking of getting a car cover to protect it from rainy, damp, Pacific Northwest weather.
I've been doing some internet research but all purveyors say their products are the ultimate protection and all fit perfectly. Does anyone use these and have a brand name or source to recommend?

Home made by my girlfriend ...
cheer.gif

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Perry's umbrella cover and a noah full car cover did my car well when I was building my garage and needed to have it outside for a few months.

I made sure to put cotton balls with drops of pure peppermint oil under the car to deter mice.
porschetub
QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 13 2017, 11:57 AM) *

CoverKing Silverlight is a great cover. I have 2 of them and one is going on 6 years in the Arizona sun (about half the time). When it finally wears out I'll get another just like it. Got mine from the Bird.

Oh dear ,my first one was Coverking,must be our sun here confused24.gif .
bbrock
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 12 2017, 03:10 PM) *

On my third cover now,first one was expensive,second one cheaper by 60% and it lasted for a little less than the first one,wind is the enemy of them,the constant moving seems to wear them out...however the biggest killer is the UV which is very high in my part of the world.
If you buy a cover make sure you buy one that goes right to the ground,helps reduce the dust getting under the cover as Elliot mentioned.
My third one is the same as the second one,nice fit multi-layered and cost $49 on special from ebay,bloody freight nearly cost more to get it to my country.
These covers claim to be breathable but I always leave my window down slightly saves the musty smell getting inside.
In summary I now class these as a disposable item in my weather/climate situation so would never pay a lot for one again.

agree.gif

I lost count of the number and variety of covers I've watched get shredded after a season or two by wind and sun. My first cover was also a Coverking Silverlight. I was just hoping a quality car cover would outlast cheap tarps to keep the rain out of a car intended for restoration. They didn't, and even though I didn't care about the paint, the covers left their marks. But my climate is pretty brutal.
second wind
I highly recommend California Car Covers. Close to $400 but OMG fits like a glove and is of highest quality. Washed it once and it came out like new. Wind does not affect it in any way. All the best!!
gg
black73
Get one of these...Micobead car cover and cover it with one of these...Amazon car covers.
Basically, a car cover for your car cover, so it will last longer and protect better.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2017, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ May 11 2017, 07:53 PM) *

Home made by my girlfriend ...
cheer.gif

IPB Image

Holy crap Andy! She made it out of your pants! blink.gif
steuspeed
Get the California Cover Noah fabric cover. Do NOT run it through the dryer. It will break down the fibers in the fabric. Noah fabric is made by Kimberly Clark. I also have the Perry cover. Great for cockpit only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.