Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New V-Caliper Teaser
Series9
post May 10 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #21

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

Ok fuckstick, wasn't it $395 earlier?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 11 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It may still be... just don't want any suprises if it's not.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 11 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #23

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Looks nice Eric! As long as you are doing it though, why not make them for the larger (24mm) rotors??
+Quote Post
bondo
post May 11 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #24

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

How does rotor pricing compare to solid 914-6 rotors? I'd be tempted to do this, depending on the final price... They sure look nice. For a street car, is the benefit worth the added unsprung weight? Anyone know offhand how much unsprung weight would be added?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 11 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (bondo @ May 11 2005, 09:16 AM)
How does rotor pricing compare to solid 914-6 rotors? I'd be tempted to do this, depending on the final price... They sure look nice. For a street car, is the benefit worth the added unsprung weight? Anyone know offhand how much unsprung weight would be added?

pricing is within a dollar @ Pelican (71.90-911 vented, 70.90-914/6 solid)

just a wild guess, but I'd say the vented rotor might wiegh about 1 pound or so more than the /6 rotor....

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 11 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #26

PMB Performance

Let me get to a few questions:

Pricing - It's still up in the air. I'd personally like to see $395.00 but there are a "lot" of parts here and they're all custom. I started thinking, "how much can some spacers cost?" Well, not that much but, then you'll need custom pins (914 pins are funky) with an additional 10mm in the center. Then there are a few extra inner seals, not much again but $1.00 each if you want good quality high-temp o-rings. Now that the caliper is 10mm wider the rotor will have to be spaced out an additional 5mm to split the difference. It would be easier to shim the caliper back but there's not that much room on the back of a 914 rear caliper. They can hit the arms (some would some wouldn't, depending on how they welded the adjustment access tube on your control arm). Fasteners also play into this; 7mm hardware is difficult to find, these need to be 10mm longer as well... then factor in they should work with both early and late style calipers (early style uses 11mm nuts and late has the front caliper half tapped). We wanted to supply a bolt-on system, no outsourcing on your end.

24 mm Rotors – It doesn’t apply and would be overkill for "most" applications. I say it “doesn’t apply” because once you’re up to that size rotor you’re “well beyond” the capacity of a standard 914 rear caliper (like trying to stop a merry-go-round with your hand). And, as you can see, there's a lot that goes into the spacing alone. A 14mm spacer wouldn't be the issue. The pins, rotor spacer and fasteners would all have to change. The standard 20mm rotor that stopped all 911's up to the Carrera is probably the best "all-around" option here. It was also done with Brad's new hubs in mind. A 911 vented rotor up front with an M-Caliper would be a perfect match for a V-Caliper with vented rears and a T-fitting. Furthermore... those who have bolted on a 911 front end (with the vented rotors) would simply bolt on a V-Caliper and vented rotors to have a perfect set-up for their ride (Aaron, Matt and Alberto are a few that come to mind).

Royce, for a "street" car, I'm not sure if the minuscule unsprung weight is an issue but for some I guess it could be. The issue is cooler brakes.

This caliper was thought of in the spirit of a well-balanced brake "system" to operate with the many M-caliper upgrades people have made with the 911 front end or Brad's hubs. I would use these with a T-Fitting and any front caliper "up to" an A or S-Caliper. Anything larger than that and I would suggest either 914-6 calipers with the GT spacers or an entirely new "system".

Rotor Pricing: I have no allegiance here but the new Performance Products catalog has them listed for $64.95. That's the best price I've seen.
+Quote Post
bondo
post May 11 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #27

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Do they come with the 5mm rotor spacers?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 11 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #28

PMB Performance

no outsourcing on your end.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:22 PM