Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New V-Caliper Teaser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
We're about done with the parts list on the new V-Caliper.

This allows the use of vented rear rotors on your 5-lug conversions. There is talk of a 4 lug vented rotor as well but we need to gauge interest for final pricing. These will be sold as completed calipers on an exchange basis similar to our regular caliper rebuild service.

They will come completed and with pins and rotor spacers. They will come in "Silver" zinc only. Fasteners will be 7mm hex head to accomodate early (single bleeder) or late (dual bleeder) calipers.

Enjoy the show...
Eric_Shea
another
Aaron Cox
idea.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Bottom
Series9
Good timing. Those are going on Liz's car.

How much. I may not have cores.
Eric_Shea
How much. I may not have cores.

"Shooting" for $495.00 plus cores... still a great unknown though. You should be able to find cores on this list. Let me know and I can work out the difference...
Mueller
Looks pretty wub.gif

I'll be running the 4-lug vented rotors on mine...I'm just going to redrill some early 911 rotors...I was going to do the Wilwood rotor/aluminum hat like I have on the front, but I'm at a point that I have to watch my "penny's" a little more carefully sad.gif

There is talk of a 4 lug vented rotor as well but we need to gauge interest for final pricing......

TravisNeff
looks great! remember to take them calipers out of the bed/sheets or your might stub your toe
Series9
Which rear rotors go with these? (so I can shop)
736conver
Eric,

Do you want to but some of my unfinished spacers and pins. I started these awhile ago but they have been shevled for a couple of months.

Brian
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 10 2005, 11:33 AM)
Looks pretty wub.gif

I'll be running the 4-lug vented rotors on mine...I'm just going to redrill some early 911 rotors...I was going to do the Wilwood rotor/aluminum hat like I have on the front, but I'm at a point that I have to watch my "penny's" a little more carefully sad.gif

There is talk of a 4 lug vented rotor as well but we need to gauge interest for final pricing......

Early 911s, except for the S, had solid rear rotors. Early S rotors for the rear are prolly NLA. I think vented rears came into general use with the "C" body cars. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Joe,

Standard 911 rear rotors from a 70-73 MY

Brian,

These are being water cut in sheets I don't think the machine shop could work with the spacers but the pins...? Maybe someone would want to take it over if you offered it in the "Classified" section confused24.gif
skline
I think those pins could be machined out of a lightweight aluminum or other alloy pretty easily.
736conver
Just thought I would offer. I forgot about mine untill I saw you post.
Mueller
Early 911s, except for the S, had solid rear rotors. Early S rotors for the rear are prolly NLA. I think vented rears came into general use with the "C" body cars. The Cap'n

sorry, my definition of early was '70 to '73...I always forget about the "real" early 911's for some reason..... smile.gif

neo914-6
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 10 2005, 11:47 AM)

How can you tell what year? confused24.gif I bought some vented rotors awhile ago for this purpose...
Mueller
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 10 2005, 01:26 PM)

How can you tell what year? confused24.gif I bought some vented rotors awhile ago for this purpose...

'70 to '83 are 20mm thick
'84 to '89 are 24mm thick
lapuwali
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 10 2005, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 10 2005, 01:26 PM)

'70 to '83 are 20mm thick
'84 to '89 are 24mm thick

OK, so how to you tell '74-'83 rotors from '70-'73 rotors? wink.gif

Eric_Shea
Safe bet... anything from 70 - on through the SC years.
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 10 2005, 01:46 PM)
OK, so how to you tell '74-'83 rotors from '70-'73 rotors? wink.gif

yep, as E says......same part smile.gif

Series9
Ok fuckstick, wasn't it $395 earlier?
Eric_Shea
It may still be... just don't want any suprises if it's not.
IronHillRestorations
Looks nice Eric! As long as you are doing it though, why not make them for the larger (24mm) rotors??
bondo
How does rotor pricing compare to solid 914-6 rotors? I'd be tempted to do this, depending on the final price... They sure look nice. For a street car, is the benefit worth the added unsprung weight? Anyone know offhand how much unsprung weight would be added?
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ May 11 2005, 09:16 AM)
How does rotor pricing compare to solid 914-6 rotors? I'd be tempted to do this, depending on the final price... They sure look nice. For a street car, is the benefit worth the added unsprung weight? Anyone know offhand how much unsprung weight would be added?

pricing is within a dollar @ Pelican (71.90-911 vented, 70.90-914/6 solid)

just a wild guess, but I'd say the vented rotor might wiegh about 1 pound or so more than the /6 rotor....

Eric_Shea
Let me get to a few questions:

Pricing - It's still up in the air. I'd personally like to see $395.00 but there are a "lot" of parts here and they're all custom. I started thinking, "how much can some spacers cost?" Well, not that much but, then you'll need custom pins (914 pins are funky) with an additional 10mm in the center. Then there are a few extra inner seals, not much again but $1.00 each if you want good quality high-temp o-rings. Now that the caliper is 10mm wider the rotor will have to be spaced out an additional 5mm to split the difference. It would be easier to shim the caliper back but there's not that much room on the back of a 914 rear caliper. They can hit the arms (some would some wouldn't, depending on how they welded the adjustment access tube on your control arm). Fasteners also play into this; 7mm hardware is difficult to find, these need to be 10mm longer as well... then factor in they should work with both early and late style calipers (early style uses 11mm nuts and late has the front caliper half tapped). We wanted to supply a bolt-on system, no outsourcing on your end.

24 mm Rotors – It doesn’t apply and would be overkill for "most" applications. I say it “doesn’t apply” because once you’re up to that size rotor you’re “well beyond” the capacity of a standard 914 rear caliper (like trying to stop a merry-go-round with your hand). And, as you can see, there's a lot that goes into the spacing alone. A 14mm spacer wouldn't be the issue. The pins, rotor spacer and fasteners would all have to change. The standard 20mm rotor that stopped all 911's up to the Carrera is probably the best "all-around" option here. It was also done with Brad's new hubs in mind. A 911 vented rotor up front with an M-Caliper would be a perfect match for a V-Caliper with vented rears and a T-fitting. Furthermore... those who have bolted on a 911 front end (with the vented rotors) would simply bolt on a V-Caliper and vented rotors to have a perfect set-up for their ride (Aaron, Matt and Alberto are a few that come to mind).

Royce, for a "street" car, I'm not sure if the minuscule unsprung weight is an issue but for some I guess it could be. The issue is cooler brakes.

This caliper was thought of in the spirit of a well-balanced brake "system" to operate with the many M-caliper upgrades people have made with the 911 front end or Brad's hubs. I would use these with a T-Fitting and any front caliper "up to" an A or S-Caliper. Anything larger than that and I would suggest either 914-6 calipers with the GT spacers or an entirely new "system".

Rotor Pricing: I have no allegiance here but the new Performance Products catalog has them listed for $64.95. That's the best price I've seen.
bondo
Do they come with the 5mm rotor spacers?
Eric_Shea
no outsourcing on your end.
wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.