Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picked up parts from the plater today, Didn't get what I expected
Doug Leggins
post May 10 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

This is my first parts re-plating experience. Unfortunately, I'm very unsatisfied with the finished product. But, maybe my expectations are a little high. I am quite meticulous, bordering on striving for perfection all too often. But, hey that's me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) . All too frequently I get reminded that many other people do not take the care and strive for the level of detail that I do.

I'll share a few photos and details of the parts I got back.

-Let me know what you think about the finish.

The first pic is how the parts were presented to me. Bulk packed in dirty boxes. I picked up a few parts and very quickly stated that the parts did not have the appearance that I expected. The owner tried to convince me that they looked like yellow cad/zinc dichromate parts should look. I don't buy the fact that they should look like this. Would appreciate any opinions from those of you that have plating experience.

The parts are dull in many areas. Is this due to sandblasting? And after I got home and looked them over better in good lighting, I can see that they are nicked and scratched all over due to the poor handling. Are nicks and scratches typical? inevitable for this type of plating? Or just due to poor care and handling?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post May 10 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #2

Here is a close up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post May 10 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #3

another

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post May 10 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,432

that looks like sheet.
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
Post #5

1 more

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

a lot of shops have to be told "cosmetic", individually wrap/protect...etc, etc.....
+Quote Post
skline
post May 10 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have to agree, shouldnt they look more like this??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lou W
post May 10 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #8

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

I would have thought you have gotten something looking more like this, I think these were 914rs's pictures;

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lou W
post May 10 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #9

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Damn Scott, you're fast (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
xitspd
post May 10 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

QUOTE (skline @ May 10 2005, 06:39 PM)
I have to agree, shouldnt they look more like this??

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Sorry to say, but your supplier has done a very poor job. The scratches are not acceptable. The plating looks dull and very course. I would ask for a refund and find another supplier.
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post May 10 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #11

I thought that you guys would agree -very simply, the parts look like shit!

This experience has made me sick!!! And once I get over being sick about it, I'm prolly gonna be Pissed! I wouldn't be so upset if I didn't pay a premium price and wait twice as long as I should have, all the while being given a snow job from the owner about how great his work was and that he was putting in extra time to make sure that the parts were going to be prepped properly so that they turn out good.

When i dropped off the parts I did talk with the guy about my expectations of the parts. I talked to him about my project and the level of detail that i have put into it. I told him that I wanted great looking parts to match the quality of the other work that I had done.

Many of the parts are non appearance and I can use them with no problem. I may clear coat them just to provide a bit better appearance and corrosion protection.
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 10 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,335

Brother,

Don't use that stuff, it will just continue to piss you off everytime you see the piece. Take one piece to someone else that does this type of plating. Only one piece. After that piece is done, and it is acceptable, Then discuss with the owner if he can replicate this process. if he can, then do it. But provide the piece he did correctly as a guide. I have been in the same exact situation as you, but it was on parts that no replacements were available. It sucked. I was smoking, and I mean smoking. had to take some time off of work to visit my anger management support group. Best thing is to remind yourself that that guy sucks at his profession and will continue to suck at his profession, whereas you will move on and fix the problem you have. Oh and don't forget the brick through the front window. I like that one.

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post May 10 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #13

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dude...that looks like shit. Seriously...my dog makes turds that color.

I'd stop payment on that check, or call your credit-card company. I wouldn't be pissed...I'd be downright IRATE.

Looking at those pics makes *ME* sick, I can only imagine what you feel like. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 10 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #14

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Maybe Craig of Camp914 will see this. He's got the quality connection. The place he uses did amazing work and every single piece was separately sealed in plastic baggies when he got them back. They looked like brand new parts.
+Quote Post
skline
post May 10 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #15

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

The last set of sheetmetal I had I took to a place that Joe Buckle took his to since it came out looking nice. I dropped it off and told them what I wanted and they said about 4 days. I thought, hmmm, Joe's only took 2 days but figured WTF. I got busy working and a week went by. I go to pick them up only to find out they have not even touched them yet. I guess I am a jerk, I got pissed and told them to just give me my parts back and walked out. I did say a few choice words about how they run their business. Anyway, I went to another place which was not far from there and they did it in 3 days for almost half what the other place wanted and they took all the little dings and dents out of the sheetmetal. Outstanding job. They do all my work for me now. There is a wheel polisher right next door too that will polish any thing you want to bring them. Great soure.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 10 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #16

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

By looking at those nicks and scratches I'd bet that the parts were ran througha tumbling device with ceramic media and allowed to bang against each other repeatedly... This is because the lazy bastids don't want to take the time to bead blast them.... The tumbler works well for rough finishing, but not for work like this.

Copy the pics of the parts off this thread and take them with you to the plater... Tell him to make them look the way they should!
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post May 10 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #17

Don't use that stuff, it will just continue to piss you off everytime you see the piece.

Thanks, you're right. I'd be pissed/upset every time that I looked at one of the parts.

I'll call the guy tomorrow and see if he is willing to work something out. He did eventually respond with "if you're not happy with the parts, send back any of the ones that are not acceptable and I will redo them"

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post May 10 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #18

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ May 10 2005, 10:49 PM)
Don't use that stuff, it will just continue to piss you off everytime you see the piece.

Thanks, you're right. I'd be pissed/upset every time that I looked at one of the parts.

I'll call the guy tomorrow and see if he is willing to work something out. He did eventually respond with "if you're not happy with the parts, send back any of the ones that are not acceptable and I will redo them"

I'd have just pushed the box back at him. "Here...I'm not happy with these." You'll NEVER get your car the way you want it with those parts. You are going through GREAT pains to make sure your car is 1000% original...why put up with that shit.

I have stuff like that I 'settelled' for, and every time I see them, I get more and more upset. Mine was sone stereo stuff...Paid $5k for a CD player, and one of the LCD numbers was all messed up. It drove me nuts till I sold it.
+Quote Post
brp914
post May 10 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #19

Unregistered

looks like they were painted with that paint thats supposed to look like cad. Sorry, not to pile-on on ya. Every big project will have some setbacks. Heres a chuckle at my expense: I bring my engine parts to my machinist. So whats he do? Decides to go ahead and break his leg. Closes up shop for 2 months with my parts locked up inside. Another:I bring my 911 to the painter. How long, I ask. 2 months he says. Reminds of that movie the Money Pit. I stop by once a month for the next 6 months. Still not done. About the 7th month I stop by. Wow. No car. Worse - no shop! I ask the shop next door what up? They moved. Great, thanks for telling me. I go to their new location. Their new spray booth wont pass some voc certification. 4 more months until they finally finish. Turned out good though. So anyway, find a place that will do it right and move on. good luck.
+Quote Post
andys
post May 10 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ May 10 2005, 06:29 PM)

The parts are dull in many areas. Is this due to sandblasting?

The finished parts will only be as good as were provided to the plater, unless you requested some additional surface finishing work by the plater. A sandblast finish will not produce a very good CAD plated finish like I suspect you wanted. That said, the plater should have advised you on the outcome given you spoke to him specifically about the finish. No excuses however for the scratched parts. So, whether you're going to be CAD plating or anodizing, the better the surface, the better the results.

Andy
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:42 AM