Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion, On the road!
defianty
post Nov 26 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #541

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

Another month of tinkering and I'm no further sadly. In fact right now I'm further away than I've been in a while.

So far I've managed about 40 miles in the car and none of them have been very enjoyable. Getting the engine to start initially wasn't too difficult but since then it continued to run worse and worse and starting got more and more difficult to the point where it wouldn't start.

The first thing I changed out was the starter motor. I was using my original 0.7Kw unit from the four cylinder and as you can imagine it struggled. I swapped that out for a 2.0Kw High Torque unit and that was a huge help. But each time I went for a quick drive the engine performed different to the previous drive.

I knew the timing was correct, or at least close enough, tappets were perfect and the spark was good, so that just really left fuel.

Last night I pulled the tops of the carbs off and on one bank one of the pump jets was blocked and the other bank two were blocked!

This afternoon I did this...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1574789405.1.jpg)

As you can see they're a bit dirty.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1574789406.2.jpg)

I guess sitting in a box for three years with remnants of fuel in hasn't done them any favours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

On the bright side I get to learn how to clean a rebuild a set of PMO's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If anyone's got an good sources of information on how to do this please let me know.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
defianty
post Dec 13 2019, 11:58 AM
Post #542

So I stripped down the carbs and gave them a thorough clean. One litre of carb cleaner later and a few replacement gaskets they look much better and hopefully will perform as good as they look.

Taking the carbs off it was plain to see I didn't do the best job in repainting the engine shroud. It had seen a lot of abuse over the years and seen a lot of paint. To be honest I just didn't use the right paint. So whilst I had the opportunity I thought it best to replace it. After failing to get a reply from a couple of vendors and not being able to find a suitable secondhand replacement I thought I'd see what I could do to breathe some life into what I had.

Here you can see the paint bubbling and peeling off.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259909.1.jpg)

So it was introduced to a can of paint stripper. The top coat of black paint shrivelling away in seconds revealing the next layer of paint and also under that what looks like a layer of white.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259909.2.jpg)

And under the white another layer of red!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259910.3.jpg)

And finally under that the green shroud.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259910.4.jpg)

At this stage I ran out of paint stripper but I was close so the rest was sanded off.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259911.5.jpg)

The shroud looked rather tired, the usual marks from the HT leads worn in and I wondered if I'd simply be able to sand them all out.

So slowly through different grades of sandpaper it started to come back to life.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259911.6.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259911.7.jpg)

And then I concentrated on a patch to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. Sanding up to 2000 grit and then compound polish. It was only at this stage I thought I was on to something.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259912.8.jpg)

Lots of effort later.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259912.9.jpg)

I know it's not the right colour for the engine or the car even but I'm quite fond of it and for once it only cost me my time so I'm happy with that.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1576259912.10.jpg)

Hopefully I get it running again tomorrow.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 13 2019, 12:17 PM
Post #543

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Shroud looks great! Even the color. Why not green? I like it.

I went through the same process with paint stripper on my red shroud and almost lost it as the FG did not take too kindly to the stripper, looked good in the end, but that's another story for another time.

Look forward to hearing driving stories and VIDEO!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 13 2019, 12:19 PM
Post #544

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

That looks REALLY good! Another great job by you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Dec 13 2019, 12:24 PM
Post #545

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Dec 13 2019, 06:17 PM) *

Shroud looks great! Even the color. Why not green? I like it.

I went through the same process with paint stripper on my red shroud and almost lost it as the FG did not take too kindly to the stripper, looked good in the end, but that's another story for another time.

Look forward to hearing driving stories and VIDEO!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Thanks Jim. Black would have been my first choice and then red simply as they're the colours the 3.0 SC had at the time. However as a colour I do like the green and now it's in the engine bay I like it even more.

Sadly any driving will be very limited now due to the weather here in the UK and mainly because of the damn salt on the roads! Hopefully I can grab a few miles here and there as the weather permits. Oh for some Californian sunshine!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 13 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #546

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Porsche guys will just think you've got an E engine in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Chief
post Dec 13 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #547

Member No.: 20,751
Region Association: England

Love it!
Amazing how much time these projects take. But just think if you were paying someone else to do it!!!
+Quote Post
P313591
post Dec 25 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #548

The world is 914

Member No.: 22,433
Region Association: Germany

Hi Stephen,

Wow that is exactly the threat I was looking for quite a while. You have the some ideas and issues you handled quote well.

I'm located near Stuttgart and have the same kind of project sitting in my garage to get started with.

If you are close to Zuffenhausen, feel free to get in contact with me. I would love to share our experience on the 914's.

Cool things you have done to your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 6 2020, 11:09 AM
Post #549

It's been a frustrating few months trying to get the engine running well. I've tried everything I know and more after hours of searching online. So after taking a break for a while to save my sanity, I did the right thing and got someone a damn sight more knowledgeable than me to get it sorted.

Today, in glorious sunshine, it left again on the back of a trailer. All I can do now is hope it's nothing too serious.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1583514574.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 6 2020, 12:00 PM
Post #550

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Gah! That really sucks and hopefully it isn't anything bad.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 6 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #551

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry to hear it isn't running yet, but DAMN every time I see a pic of your car, it makes me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Mar 6 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #552

Member No.: 2,922

Not sure what you have tried, but on my webber 3.0 once I cleaned my fuel tank and installed 3 new fuel filters I rarely had any issues in 10 years... most common was a plug idle jet. Good luck!
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 7 2020, 08:32 AM
Post #553

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Any news Stephen ?
We need a British 914 fix.
Visited Yorkshire Dells, Manchester, Robin Hood Bay and Hull in December.
Beautiful country. Narrow lanes. Wonderful people.
Our cars are similar but you take the detail crown easily.
My 3.0 and 916 (Bott) trans rest silently while I fiddle a '68 2.0 to good tune.
More please.
Fantastic work.
Spring is fast approaching.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 7 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #554

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After I had my carbs dialed in by someone who knew what they were doing, the car ran the way it should. I’d guess you’ll be real happy when the car gets back.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Mar 8 2020, 01:40 AM
Post #555

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 6 2020, 05:09 PM) *

It's been a frustrating few months trying to get the engine running well. I've tried everything I know and more after hours of searching online. So after taking a break for a while to save my sanity, I did the right thing and got someone a damn sight more knowledgeable than me to get it sorted.

Today, in glorious sunshine, it left again on the back of a trailer. All I can do now is hope it's nothing too serious.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1583514574.1.jpg)

Good luck, there are a few good Porsche folks out your way, who did you send it to in the end if I can ask?
+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 8 2020, 02:17 AM
Post #556

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Mar 8 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Good luck, there are a few good Porsche folks out your way, who did you send it to in the end if I can ask?

Thanks, It's with Simon Rudge in Essex. I've know him for quite some time now so I know it's in good hands.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 8 2020, 02:19 AM
Post #557

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 6 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Not sure what you have tried, but on my webber 3.0 once I cleaned my fuel tank and installed 3 new fuel filters I rarely had any issues in 10 years... most common was a plug idle jet. Good luck!

I've tried everything to be honest. Originally the carb was a little bunged up. Having fuel sitting in it for a while didn't to it any favours. My fuel tank is brand new as are the filter and all the fuel pipes.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 9 2020, 11:38 AM
Post #558

I got the good news today all is good with the car and it was my shoddy work on the carbs causing the issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I've never been more relieved knowing it was just something I'd done wrong.

The car is now off for a rolling road tune later this week and then back home, just in time for the imminent arrival of some better weather I hope!
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 9 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #559

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That’s bloody awesome!!! Fantastic Stephen.
Happy for ya! Enjoy it and looking forward to more posts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 9 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #560

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Woohoo! That's great news. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

30 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:46 PM