Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion, On the road!
defianty
post Oct 1 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

Over the past few months various small projects have given me the opportunity to get my welding skills up to scratch for the main event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) adding the GT flares to the car. With almost nothing left on the car to restore now was the time.

I had the chance to follow James 23e Heure's build. When his arches were installed they saved the off cuts for me. This enabled me to cut them up and practice welding them back together. My first attempts weren't great but I was going to do this and my perseverance was finally rewarded.

It took a lot of confidence just to do this!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874062.1.jpg)

Initial fitting
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874063.2.jpg)

It's common knowledge that the bottom of AA flares don't have the same profile as the wings on the car so a bit of fetling it required.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874063.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874063.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874064.5.jpg)

Slowly...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874064.6.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874064.7.jpg)

Finished
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874065.8.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874065.9.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
defianty
post Oct 1 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #82

Moving on to the rear

The rear quarter is exposed because of the previous accident damage, I'm in the process of repairing that now but am waiting on repair panels. In the meantime I can intall the GT strengthening kit.

First to prep the area.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874085.1.jpg)

Weld Thru Primer
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874085.2.jpg)

The parts supplied in the kit needed to be bent into shape and I found the needed a bit of trimming too. I made some carboard templates from them and adjusted them to fit before applying those back to the parts and trimming them to fit.

The cardboard GT sstrengthening kit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874086.3.jpg)

Final Test Fit
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874086.4.jpg)

That's it, up to date again. I'll be in the garage again tomorrow welding all that in.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 1 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #83

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

On the 8K tach, just build one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Also don't spend the time on the GT kit, unless your building a period correct GT

I would go with these items from Tangerine racing before I did the GT kit. First two items on the page will make a huge difference to the stiffness of the rear suspension pickup points.

BTW, very nice work
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 1 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Awesome work!!! Well thought out and well executed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 1 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #85

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 1 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Over the past few months various small projects have given me the opportunity to get my welding skills up to scratch for the main event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) adding the GT flares to the car. With almost nothing left on the car to restore now was the time.

I had the chance to follow James 23e Heure's build. When his arches were installed they saved the off cuts for me. This enabled me to cut them up and practice welding them back together. My first attempts weren't great but I was going to do this and my perseverance was finally rewarded.

It took a lot of confidence just to do this!
Initial fitting
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874063.2.jpg)

Finished
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s6.postimg.org-6621-1506874065.9.jpg)

We are following each others builds and I enjoy that. I may be a little bit ahead build wise but not by much from the way your going! I am doing mostly the nits and nats and it is time consuming as hell with slow progress. And sometimes 2 steps backward with one step forward. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Your egine sheet metal came out great and looks good on the engine! I love before and after shots and the distributor, seat tracks, and tans are great examples of your attention to detail. I happen to have the same front sway bar on mine (installed 2 owners ago) and look forward to driving my car with it. One of my next tasks is to do the underside so thanks for the inspiration picture I was under there looking at it last nite and seeing yours, now I have to get to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

But what I really want to comment on is the fender fitting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) and welding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) you are doing, seeing it being done as you've shown is great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Number one it looks to be coming out very good! You got skills! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Second, is that my car came to me with the fenders and paint complete (again 2 owners ago) so since your car is also white and I have zero pictures from when the fenders and paint was done to mine, I am going to through your pictures in my folder and pretend it was my car circa 1998 going through all that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
double thanks for that!
Keep up the good work and postings! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 1 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #86

Edit to revise

I loved what seemed like your 10 post blast of information update today. I'm subscribed and thought things went hay wire at first when I saw my e-mail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Oct 1 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #87

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 1 2017, 06:01 PM) *

On the 8K tach, just build one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Also don't spend the time on the GT kit, unless your building a period correct GT

I would go with these items from Tangerine racing before I did the GT kit. First two items on the page will make a huge difference to the stiffness of the rear suspension pickup points.

BTW, very nice work

I've already given some thought to building a tach, I may just do it. Just needs to get my hands on another tach to act as a donor.

I understand what you're saying about the GT kit and no I'm not building a period rep. I've been in a couple of road GT's with the kit and it has been recommended. Will I personally use it to it's potential, probably not. Will someone ask.me why I didn't install it, probably. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Oct 1 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #88

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 1 2017, 06:52 PM) *

We are following each others builds and I enjoy that. I may be a little bit ahead build wise but not by much from the way your going! I am doing mostly the nits and nats and it is time consuming as hell with slow progress. And sometimes 2 steps backward with one step forward. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Your egine sheet metal came out great and looks good on the engine! I love before and after shots and the distributor, seat tracks, and tans are great examples of your attention to detail. I happen to have the same front sway bar on mine (installed 2 owners ago) and look forward to driving my car with it. One of my next tasks is to do the underside so thanks for the inspiration picture I was under there looking at it last nite and seeing yours, now I have to get to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

But what I really want to comment on is the fender fitting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) and welding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) you are doing, seeing it being done as you've shown is great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Number one it looks to be coming out very good! You got skills! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Second, is that my car came to me with the fenders and paint complete (again 2 owners ago) so since your car is also white and I have zero pictures from when the fenders and paint was done to mine, I am going to through your pictures in my folder and pretend it was my car circa 1998 going through all that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
double thanks for that!
Keep up the good work and postings! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

It's great to see other builds going on at the same time. It's easy to feel very lonely in the garage, hour after hour, day after day. Seeing other builds always give me ideas and the inspiration to crack on with mine.

My skills are improving all of the time. Although I'm doing this for myself it's to prove to myself that I can do things when I put my mind to it. I lost my father just a few years ago and many of my skills came from him. I wish he could see my progress, he'd finally understand that I was listening to all of those things he taught me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 1 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Beautiful work on that flare!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 1 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #90

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

There is just nothing prettier than a metal finished flare. Great work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 1 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #91

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 1 2017, 01:22 PM) *

There is just nothing prettier than a metal finished flare. Great work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Amen!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 1 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #92

QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 1 2017, 09:05 AM) *

Where did you get that great looking sticker on your fan clamp! Is it a remake?
+Quote Post
defianty
post Oct 1 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #93

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 1 2017, 10:28 PM) *

Where did you get that great looking sticker on your fan clamp! Is it a remake?

All the stickers came from http://car-bone.pl/ Yes they're remakes, very nice ones though. I think Sierra Madre do them too.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Oct 1 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Car Bone is great but a lot of people here in the States either don't know about them...or are scared because they are located in Poland. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Plus they can custom reproduce anything if you furnish an example.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 1 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #95

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 1 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Car Bone is great but a lot of people here in the States either don't know about them...or are scared because they are located in Poland. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Plus they can custom reproduce anything if you furnish an example.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) They are a legit company.
I get reproduction hockey puck horn buttons from a guy in Poland. Half the price of others and shipping just takes a couple extra days.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Oct 1 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #96

QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 1 2017, 10:43 PM) *

Indeed, several friends over here in the UK have used them and all regard them highly. I'll be having a new vin sticker from them soon along with another couple of stickers I forgot to order last time.
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Oct 3 2017, 12:41 AM
Post #97

Busy overtaking 911s

Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

Great set of thread updates, Stephen.

Keep it up: 10 months to go until we convoy to Le Mans Classic... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
cal914
post Oct 3 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 14,366

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Oct 2 2017, 10:41 PM) *

Keep it up: 10 months to go until we convoy to Le Mans Classic... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Room for 1 more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Oct 3 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #99

QUOTE(cal914 @ Oct 3 2017, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Oct 2 2017, 10:41 PM) *

Room for 1 more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That'd be a good convoy!
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Oct 3 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You Euro types have all the fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

30 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:52 PM