Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: auto trans swap in VW`Mk4, 09G to 09A - need advice
poorsche914
post May 27 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I have posted this in two different places on VWVortex but have gotten ZERO response (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Hoping someone here will have experience with these transmissions.

My son has an '02 GTI 5-speed that needs some major work restoration work. We have located a parts car that will work perfectly - '03 GTI in same color but with an automatic transmission.

I have an '04 New Beetle Convertible with 6-speed Tiptronic (09G) that ist kaput. VB and solenoids have been tried without success - still flares into 4th and never engages. I think it is a mechanical issue that would entail tearing down the unit... something I am not equipped to do.

My question: is the 09A (5-speed tiptronic) a direct drop-in for the 09G (6-speed tiptronic)? Is it as simple as swapping the units and TCM? I do have a VAG-COM so can clear codes, etc if needed.

Sure would be nice to get two non-op VWs back on the road. Will clear up the driveway for another 914 project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Any advice and input is much appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 27 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

No idea. I imagine you would have to switch out the TCM's and at the very least reprogram the trani code in VagCom for the engine. Maybe new guage cluster?

I think your better off getting the right trani and selling your old one.
Great resource
http://www.car-part.com/
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 27 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

I may be off topic, but I'd love to see a modern automatic in a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Yeah I know, sports car blasphemy... just saying.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 27 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Ive been wondering about the feasivility of a PDK from a boxster in my setup... itll bolt up... but I really dont know if the control parameters will be able to be programed right..
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post May 28 2017, 07:47 AM
Post #5

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

See if you can get this question in front of Tom w/AP Tuning in the Vortex transmission forum. They do quite a bit of trans work and may be able to get you that answer.
I do know that there are differences in the crankshaft snubs between manual and automatics. With both being electronic designs you would think they would be compatible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post May 28 2017, 09:58 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

a Paddle shift 914 would be badass ...!!!
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 28 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #7

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 28 2017, 12:00 AM) *
No idea. I imagine you would have to switch out the TCM's and at the very least reprogram the trani code in VagCom for the engine. Maybe new guage cluster?

I think your better off getting the right trani and selling your old one.
Great resource
http://www.car-part.com/

The problem is, an entire decade or more of VW automatics are garbage. Buying a used one would be hit or miss. Even if coming from a "known working" car - just a matter of time before it has issues. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Thanks for the response.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 28 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #8

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(okieflyr @ May 28 2017, 09:47 AM) *
See if you can get this question in front of Tom w/AP Tuning in the Vortex transmission forum. They do quite a bit of trans work and may be able to get you that answer.
I do know that there are differences in the crankshaft snubs between manual and automatics. With both being electronic designs you would think they would be compatible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I have this same question posted in both the Automatic Transmission and Golf/Jetta Mk4 forums of VWVortex. After a week, no response yet. I'll keep checking.

If we end up getting the parts GTI and I find the time, I may just try swapping them and seeing what happens.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:13 PM