Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Looking at my first 914
nditiz1
post Jun 6 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So now that I have some capital to spend, I can finally start the serious hunt for "my" 914. A seller around me has a stock 75 that hasn't been driven in 20 years. Looking for some advice on trying to start it up or any other words of advice. If the seller is ok I'd like to bring a battery and some fresh fuel and try to start it. The car was driven in the passed, but has been sitting under a cover for the last 20. Pictures show virtually no rust except maybe some surface in the hell hole. It is a 1.8 and the FI has not been touched. Second owner, purchased in 1975 with under 3,000 miles, shows 104,000 now. Thoughts?

Hey I just want to thank everyone on here for the wisdom filled words of advice. So I went to go look at a 73 today and was caught up in so much of the hype and it being a "914S" numbers matching that I almost made a mistake. I then realized what everyone was talking about. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Needless to say I went over the car with a fine tooth comb in some parts, but glossed over some others. They main thing everyone was telling me was RUST. This car had it and none was preventing the car from running and driving, but it was enough to make me double think the purchase. I mean, I can't ask for perfect with the budget I have, but I have seen ChrisB's sweet orange 71 and I saw no rust, granted it was restored within the last 10 years and never saw a rain drop and kept in the garage since then. This one had been restored some time ago and I could see rust under patches and seams. I took it for a drive and it rode nice, motor was in order - Fresh 44 IDF Webers installed. I still couldn't get over the pin hole rust spots (2) in the floor pans and the surface rust - that could be worse - hiding behind the rocker panels. Also, something the PO messaged me about was a little bothersome in regards to the right front fender needing to be replaced. As hard as it was to walk away it was the right move and the journey continues.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 34)
nditiz1
post Jun 6 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #21

I like everything you all are saying. What an awesome group to be in.

100% not going for that 70. Most likely not going for the 75. The 74 2.0 in PA will be standby. I don't have the funds unless of course I barrow a thousand from the wife and the seller comes down to 11k. The seller is also out for 3 weeks.

As far as other 914s PLEASE let me know. I don't mind flying from MD to LA to drive home my 914. Or if anyone has a line on another.

As far as wrench turning I've done my fair share on my 60 beetle. The parts still won't be cheap as I've seen.

I love how you all just look at a picture and know 1000 things wrong with the car.

+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jun 6 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

a 10k buy budget, that aint the car. you want the best car with least amount of work. 10k should buy a very nice, NO RUST, running driving car. maybe tired cosmetics and tuning but not not major surgery.
fwiw
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jun 7 2017, 06:08 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

I saw this on facebook this morning. Not perfect by any means but flares and fuchs. $14,500 CAD ends up around $11K.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
srreality
post Jun 9 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,957
Region Association: None

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 6 2017, 09:02 AM) *

So now that I have some capital to spend, I can finally start the serious hunt for "my" 914. A seller around me has a stock 75 that hasn't been driven in 20 years. Looking for some advice on trying to start it up or any other words of advice. If the seller is ok I'd like to bring a battery and some fresh fuel and try to start it. The car was driven in the passed, but has been sitting under a cover for the last 20. Pictures show virtually no rust except maybe some surface in the hell hole. It is a 1.8 and the FI has not been touched. Second owner, purchased in 1975 with under 3,000 miles, shows 104,000 now. Thoughts?

I'd say $7500 is way too much for that car. Any car sitting for 20 years is full of unknowns, with lots of possible downsides. Being a Porsche, lots of parts cost too much, are hard to find and even with the internet, slow to acquire. If you are an experienced rebuilder, have plenty of time and can do most of the work yourself, that's great; if not, buy one finished and take an experienced 914 guy/gal with you when you look at a prospect. I bought a disassembled abandoned project late in 2015, that already had the body/paint work completed, for $3000, with a complete parts car to boot. I, too, had a $10K budget, but I added a 50% fudge factor......and spent it. I had a professional rebuild the engine, install it and do start up, the rest of the restoration I did myself. "Every thing" was sorted as I reassembled it - - - the list is too long to mention - - - now it is a very nice "fully" restored driver. That should give you a ballpark estimate and idea of what it could cost to bring one of these things back to life after many years parked.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 10 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #25

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Check this one out for $8k!

https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/6149252928.html
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jun 10 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #26

@srreality - Thanks for the info. Everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, spend upwards of my max budget for one that is sorted, at least in the way of rust. While I have never worked on a 914, I have had my hands in several beetles. This forum is great for information as well. Everyone's advice is great.

I'm not even going to look at the 75 as I don't have tons of time to work on any 914 I get my hands on with a 1 and 3 year old. So a driver with some minor flaws (no rust) is what I'm looking for.

@Calvinator - This one might be a consideration. While I don't like the lincoln paint job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) or the riviera wheels those are things that can be changed over time. Too bad it is not a 2.0, I'd be heading out to Montana tomorrow lol.

For all others keep them coming. I even contacted the one in British Columbia, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 10 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #27

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 10 2017, 02:15 PM) *

@srreality - Thanks for the info. Everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, spend upwards of my max budget for one that is sorted, at least in the way of rust. While I have never worked on a 914, I have had my hands in several beetles. This forum is great for information as well. Everyone's advice is great.

I'm not even going to look at the 75 as I don't have tons of time to work on any 914 I get my hands on with a 1 and 3 year old. So a driver with some minor flaws (no rust) is what I'm looking for.

@Calvinator - This one might be a consideration. While I don't like the lincoln paint job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) or the riviera wheels those are things that can be changed over time. Too bad it is not a 2.0, I'd be heading out to Montana tomorrow lol.

For all others keep them coming. I even contacted the one in British Columbia, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

The only 2.0 that you are going to find for that $ is going to need a paint job & some interior work and potentially thousands worth of mechanical fixes. This was the experience with my '73 2.0. Seller was asking $12k and I bought the car for $8.5K after a PPI from a local shop as I was approx. 350 miles away. Its a great driver, (5-10 footer) but will need full paint at some point in the future

The point being, you need to be prepared to travel with cash in hand to get the right car once it has been put up on a lift and thoroughly checked.

More often than not, a seller will be more motivated if you are serious and ready to complete the sale on the spot.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jun 10 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #28

Ok, what's the deal here?

http://www.highlineautosales.com/vehicle-d...-il-id-18200818

Called them and it is a 2.0

Anyone live around Illinois for a PPI? I have money for beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 10 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #29

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Note the lack of jack posts on the red car. Note the Lack of holes for the jack posts in the rockers as well. I find that suspect. 3 vague pictures don't tell much.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jun 10 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #30

@rhodyguy I looked up the history. It has a long history of being green. It actually started it's life as 2 cars halves combined into one. I'm going to pass on this as well.

That yellow 73 though. Need to find someone close to the dealership in IL.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 11 2017, 07:17 AM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A sectioned car? Funny how that failed to get mentioned in the ad. That turd has been well shined. Good detective work!

Kevin
+Quote Post
Redraptor
post Jun 11 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 20,501

Don't drive yourself nuts looking. Figure out what the worse condition you are willing to accept is, and start reading the how-to articles here and on pelican. You're in a good area for supply so relax and shop around. The 75 in Silver Spring is too high and might be hiding some nasty surprises. Best case scenario is an engine drop and redone interior. There is nonsuch thing as "minor" or "surface" rust.
+Quote Post
Redraptor
post Jun 11 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 20,501

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 6 2017, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 6 2017, 11:02 AM) *

Looking for some advice

Unless you are very familiar with the 914, take someone who is knowledgeable with you.

Brakes, wheels, tires, fuel tank, seats, paint, even engine can be fixed. If the body is rusty you'll be in for a long repair.

Your main interest at this point is rust. When you're done looking at rust, look for more rust.

If the car is the one listed above, I'd be real careful with rust in the longitudinals.

On the other hand, you would get:

+ 5 large boxes of impossible-to-find parts
+ Leather-covered steering wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

BTW, what is that switch to the right of the headlight switch?

Could that be the fog light switch with a hillbilly fix? I can't tell if the car has them from the pic though. I agree on the rust, the jack point is a bit scary. 5k seems a better price.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 11 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #34

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 11 2017, 06:17 AM) *
A sectioned car? Funny how that failed to get mentioned in the ad. That turd has been well shined. Good detective work!

Kevin
Also, does it have a clear title? The front clip would have a different VIN than the rear section. A lot of questions there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jun 13 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #35

Updated the first post with a thank you message.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:15 AM