Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem with leaky roof and new front main seal, Mega frustrating! George, please have a look at this...
MikeInMunich
post Jun 13 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

My front main seal was 44 years old and I replaced it with a new one from Auto Atlanta today.

1) the (new) lateral (parallel to the car length) targa seal, attached to the roof, on the driver's side doesn't match up with the new main seal and cannot be moved forward any more. The gap is almost a full cm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I reckon I'll dab some black silicon onto it and the main seal where they meet to try to close the gap, but I highly doubt that my roof won't leak there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

2) it took two of us to get the roof on with the new seal, which, btw. was a pain in the ass to get on properly. We needed to put the emergency brake on and push the roof forward with all our might to get the front latch to be able to grab. Does anyone know how long it'll take for this thing to "break in" so that I can put the roof on without a struggle?

Any other tips and / or feedback on this subject?

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

M.i.M.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 14 2017, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 14 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Your targa side seals may be too short as well, but this junction is a typical leak. As in, good luck fixing it. It was a bad design.

Did you tap the seal on with a soft mallet? It may not be seated all the way. You'll know if it's not seated, because it will come loose when you remove the targa top. Also there's an adjustment in the front latches, so if someone readjusted them to the old seal, they can be too tight on the new seal.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 14 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Express your dissatisfaction with customer relations at **. Good luck. Esp with a overseas call. Return shipping will be on you if it can even be returned. Was the one you bought cheaper than than the offering at 914rubber?
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jun 14 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #5

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Sorry to hear about your problem. If you can return the seals, I would...and never buy anything from AA again. Then buy the seals from 914rubber. I've put main and side targa seals on both my old 914's with the parts from 914rubber, and the fit was perfect. The side seals come oversized so you can cut them perfectly to size, so you won't have the gap issue that you have.
+Quote Post
TM_Corey
post Jun 14 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,809
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm having fitment issues with my 914Rubber main targa seal, but it is because the shop didn't install it correctly. No cause of 914rubber. Mine also comes off anytime I take the top off and it also takes two people to install/remove it.

I am taking it back into the shop next week to have them try again.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 14 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 15 2017, 07:40 AM) *

Express your dissatisfaction with customer relations at **. Good luck. Esp with a overseas call. Return shipping will be on you if it can even be returned. Was the one you bought cheaper than than the offering at 914rubber?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Kevin,best of luck to the OP,he is in the same boat so to speak as me,I can't return items economically so I buy very carefully,with 914rubber so commited to this forum I'am surprised people shop elsewhere , AA hasn't had the best track record besides.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 14 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #8

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

I believe that AA supplies that seal to Mark W. & 914Rubber, just as Mark cross supplies many parts to Sierra Madre, Stoddards, AA, & maybe Ecklers/Automotion/Performance Products. So you're really talking same-same on these repro seals.

It's usually a seating issue with that seal, as McMark said, which can be getting it into place &/or any old adhesive not getting completely cleaned off.

I certainly would check that cleaning & seating issue 1st Mike - before having a team Ruck effort to get the top on.

Maybe Mark W. can explain better where he gets this seal for 914Rubber, & proper fitment on there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good Luck Mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 14 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I installed the 914 rubber one. Since it is new, I had to adjust the front top latches to there longest setting. I also had to replace the side targa top seals to match up with the front seal. After that all is good with minimum gaps.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jun 14 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I bought OEM front seal ($280) a few years ago and had it professionally installed and it fits great.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 14 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #11

Tom, you're saying ** sells their seals to 914rubber? I think it may be the other way around. Mark and the crew seem to remedy problens in short fashion and not give a customer who's simply trying rectify an issue a bunch of grief. Not so much out of marrieta which has been my personal experience. The OP is in Europe. with a HANDLING charge, round trip shipping expense, duties and what not, prob money ahead tossing the ** one in the trash and starting fresh.

Mike, pose your questions and problems at 914club. Pay no attention to the crickets you might hear.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jun 15 2017, 02:08 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 14 2017, 07:33 AM) *

Your targa side seals may be too short as well, but this junction is a typical leak. As in, good luck fixing it. It was a bad design.

Did you tap the seal on with a soft mallet? It may not be seated all the way. You'll know if it's not seated, because it will come loose when you remove the targa top. Also there's an adjustment in the front latches, so if someone readjusted them to the old seal, they can be too tight on the new seal.

Hi Mark,

awesome news for me, that is, that the latches are adjustable. I didn't know that, so thanks! I had replaced the side seals on the roof last year. I got them from 914 Rubber, a.k.a. you. I did use a mallet but I'm not convinced it's really in properly all along. I haven't taken the roof off again yet, so I'm not sure, but I think I'll still be mucking around with this thing again when I do.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jun 15 2017, 02:13 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2017, 11:40 AM) *

I'm not dissatisfied with the product. I can't judge it on its merits yet at all, as the problem was likely with my limited (zero) installation experience.

As far as customer service at Auto Atlanta, I've ordered from them a number of times and never had any problems at all. I've had George in the phone personally a few times taking orders and giving advice and he seems like a good guy to me. This is not an invitation for contrary opinions on that. I received an email from him today as well, as he had gotten wind about this thread. It was somewhat helpful.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jun 15 2017, 02:15 AM
Post #14

There is likely no problem with the product. I just should have replaced the roof seals and the main seal at the same time. That was my mistake.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jun 15 2017, 02:16 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Jun 14 2017, 01:23 PM) *

I'm having fitment issues with my 914Rubber main targa seal, but it is because the shop didn't install it correctly. No cause of 914rubber. Mine also comes off anytime I take the top off and it also takes two people to install/remove it.

I am taking it back into the shop next week to have them try again.

Note Mark's comment above! The latches are adjustable. That may prove to be very helpful for you, and me as well. Hope so!
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jun 15 2017, 02:20 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2017, 05:21 PM) *

Tom, you're saying ** sells their seals to 914rubber? I think it may be the other way around. Mark and the crew seem to remedy problens in short fashion and not give a customer who's simply trying rectify an issue a bunch of grief. Not so much out of marrieta which has been my personal experience. The OP is in Europe. with a HANDLING charge, round trip shipping expense, duties and what not, prob money ahead tossing the ** one in the trash and starting fresh.

Mike, pose your questions and problems at 914club. Pay no attention to the crickets you might hear.

It seems as though you have a personal beef / bad experience with AA. I haven't. George got back to me personally after he heard about this thread. He's there, as the Owner, available and helpful. Not sure why our experiences with him have apparently been so different.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 15 2017, 05:52 AM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

BTW:

McMark -> Mark D. -> Original Customs restoration
Mikey914 -> Mark W. -> 914Rubber

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 15 2017, 06:44 AM
Post #18

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I'm a big fan of 914Rubber, and all Mark does to make cool reproduction parts, but the two targa front seals I've had my hands on, I didn't like.

I think he's changed the compound, but on the ones I saw the rubber itself was too sticky and pulled off easily as it stuck to the roof, and made taking the roof off difficult.

I personally have had the best result from the factory seals, but to be honest haven't purchased one in about 10 years.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 15 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

When Glenn at pelican offered a nos front targa seal for $225, I couldn't hit the reply button fast enough. Well I guess I did because I bought it. It's one of those seals that seems to be tricky to reproduce.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 15 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #20

My local P dealer recieved 3 b.o. seals years ago. I got one of them and dave hunt got one.

I got corrected on my ** presumption regarding tom's post. I appologise.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:17 PM