Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with leaky roof and new front main seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
My front main seal was 44 years old and I replaced it with a new one from Auto Atlanta today.

1) the (new) lateral (parallel to the car length) targa seal, attached to the roof, on the driver's side doesn't match up with the new main seal and cannot be moved forward any more. The gap is almost a full cm. barf.gif I reckon I'll dab some black silicon onto it and the main seal where they meet to try to close the gap, but I highly doubt that my roof won't leak there. mad.gif

2) it took two of us to get the roof on with the new seal, which, btw. was a pain in the ass to get on properly. We needed to put the emergency brake on and push the roof forward with all our might to get the front latch to be able to grab. Does anyone know how long it'll take for this thing to "break in" so that I can put the roof on without a struggle?

Any other tips and / or feedback on this subject?

Thanks! beerchug.gif

M.i.M.
76-914
icon_bump.gif popcorn[1].gif
McMark
Your targa side seals may be too short as well, but this junction is a typical leak. As in, good luck fixing it. It was a bad design.

Did you tap the seal on with a soft mallet? It may not be seated all the way. You'll know if it's not seated, because it will come loose when you remove the targa top. Also there's an adjustment in the front latches, so if someone readjusted them to the old seal, they can be too tight on the new seal.
rhodyguy
Express your dissatisfaction with customer relations at **. Good luck. Esp with a overseas call. Return shipping will be on you if it can even be returned. Was the one you bought cheaper than than the offering at 914rubber?
era vulgaris
Sorry to hear about your problem. If you can return the seals, I would...and never buy anything from AA again. Then buy the seals from 914rubber. I've put main and side targa seals on both my old 914's with the parts from 914rubber, and the fit was perfect. The side seals come oversized so you can cut them perfectly to size, so you won't have the gap issue that you have.
TM_Corey
I'm having fitment issues with my 914Rubber main targa seal, but it is because the shop didn't install it correctly. No cause of 914rubber. Mine also comes off anytime I take the top off and it also takes two people to install/remove it.

I am taking it back into the shop next week to have them try again.
porschetub
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 15 2017, 07:40 AM) *

Express your dissatisfaction with customer relations at **. Good luck. Esp with a overseas call. Return shipping will be on you if it can even be returned. Was the one you bought cheaper than than the offering at 914rubber?

agree.gif Kevin,best of luck to the OP,he is in the same boat so to speak as me,I can't return items economically so I buy very carefully,with 914rubber so commited to this forum I'am surprised people shop elsewhere , AA hasn't had the best track record besides.
Tom_T
I believe that AA supplies that seal to Mark W. & 914Rubber, just as Mark cross supplies many parts to Sierra Madre, Stoddards, AA, & maybe Ecklers/Automotion/Performance Products. So you're really talking same-same on these repro seals.

It's usually a seating issue with that seal, as McMark said, which can be getting it into place &/or any old adhesive not getting completely cleaned off.

I certainly would check that cleaning & seating issue 1st Mike - before having a team Ruck effort to get the top on.

Maybe Mark W. can explain better where he gets this seal for 914Rubber, & proper fitment on there? confused24.gif

Good Luck Mike! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Steve
I installed the 914 rubber one. Since it is new, I had to adjust the front top latches to there longest setting. I also had to replace the side targa top seals to match up with the front seal. After that all is good with minimum gaps.
JawjaPorsche
I bought OEM front seal ($280) a few years ago and had it professionally installed and it fits great.
rhodyguy
Tom, you're saying ** sells their seals to 914rubber? I think it may be the other way around. Mark and the crew seem to remedy problens in short fashion and not give a customer who's simply trying rectify an issue a bunch of grief. Not so much out of marrieta which has been my personal experience. The OP is in Europe. with a HANDLING charge, round trip shipping expense, duties and what not, prob money ahead tossing the ** one in the trash and starting fresh.

Mike, pose your questions and problems at 914club. Pay no attention to the crickets you might hear.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 14 2017, 07:33 AM) *

Your targa side seals may be too short as well, but this junction is a typical leak. As in, good luck fixing it. It was a bad design.

Did you tap the seal on with a soft mallet? It may not be seated all the way. You'll know if it's not seated, because it will come loose when you remove the targa top. Also there's an adjustment in the front latches, so if someone readjusted them to the old seal, they can be too tight on the new seal.

Hi Mark,

awesome news for me, that is, that the latches are adjustable. I didn't know that, so thanks! I had replaced the side seals on the roof last year. I got them from 914 Rubber, a.k.a. you. I did use a mallet but I'm not convinced it's really in properly all along. I haven't taken the roof off again yet, so I'm not sure, but I think I'll still be mucking around with this thing again when I do.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2017, 11:40 AM) *

I'm not dissatisfied with the product. I can't judge it on its merits yet at all, as the problem was likely with my limited (zero) installation experience.

As far as customer service at Auto Atlanta, I've ordered from them a number of times and never had any problems at all. I've had George in the phone personally a few times taking orders and giving advice and he seems like a good guy to me. This is not an invitation for contrary opinions on that. I received an email from him today as well, as he had gotten wind about this thread. It was somewhat helpful.
MikeInMunich
There is likely no problem with the product. I just should have replaced the roof seals and the main seal at the same time. That was my mistake.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Jun 14 2017, 01:23 PM) *

I'm having fitment issues with my 914Rubber main targa seal, but it is because the shop didn't install it correctly. No cause of 914rubber. Mine also comes off anytime I take the top off and it also takes two people to install/remove it.

I am taking it back into the shop next week to have them try again.

Note Mark's comment above! The latches are adjustable. That may prove to be very helpful for you, and me as well. Hope so!
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2017, 05:21 PM) *

Tom, you're saying ** sells their seals to 914rubber? I think it may be the other way around. Mark and the crew seem to remedy problens in short fashion and not give a customer who's simply trying rectify an issue a bunch of grief. Not so much out of marrieta which has been my personal experience. The OP is in Europe. with a HANDLING charge, round trip shipping expense, duties and what not, prob money ahead tossing the ** one in the trash and starting fresh.

Mike, pose your questions and problems at 914club. Pay no attention to the crickets you might hear.

It seems as though you have a personal beef / bad experience with AA. I haven't. George got back to me personally after he heard about this thread. He's there, as the Owner, available and helpful. Not sure why our experiences with him have apparently been so different.
McMark
BTW:

McMark -> Mark D. -> Original Customs restoration
Mikey914 -> Mark W. -> 914Rubber

biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'm a big fan of 914Rubber, and all Mark does to make cool reproduction parts, but the two targa front seals I've had my hands on, I didn't like.

I think he's changed the compound, but on the ones I saw the rubber itself was too sticky and pulled off easily as it stuck to the roof, and made taking the roof off difficult.

I personally have had the best result from the factory seals, but to be honest haven't purchased one in about 10 years.
mepstein
When Glenn at pelican offered a nos front targa seal for $225, I couldn't hit the reply button fast enough. Well I guess I did because I bought it. It's one of those seals that seems to be tricky to reproduce.
rhodyguy
My local P dealer recieved 3 b.o. seals years ago. I got one of them and dave hunt got one.

I got corrected on my ** presumption regarding tom's post. I appologise.
MikeInMunich
Never actually solved this issue. Would like to get back at it soon. I only drive the car when the weather is nice so it’s rarely an issue. But my fitting problem is kinda really crap. Check out this photo. What’s wrong with this picture? blink.gif

Imagine if the rubber on the roof was all the way forward...how the heck would I be able to get the latch snapped shut?? There seems to be something wrong here.

George, if you’re reading, I could and should have sent you this photo long ago.

Click to view attachment
poorsche914
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 19 2020, 03:16 PM) *
Imagine if the rubber on the roof was all the way forward...how the heck would I be able to get the latch snapped shut?? There seems to be something wrong here.

The side seal on the targa roof does not go all the way forward. Below is a shot of mine...
Looks like the windshield frame seal on yours extends too far down the side confused24.gif
Maybe see if you can pull that back in 1/2" or so.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 19 2020, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 19 2020, 03:16 PM) *

The side seal on the targa roof does not go all the way forward. Below is a shot of mine...
Looks like the windshield frame seal on yours extends too far down the side confused24.gif
Maybe see if you can pull that back in 1/2" or so.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

OK. Thanks for that! beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the top side seal is plenty long enough to but against the front windshield frame top seal, remember the extra lip is on the outside. Silicone grease is your friend, When you install the top seal, one must slide down the two sides first and make sure that the block that is in between the lateral and the horizontal is perfectly aligned with the top side seal and not curved in or out

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Jun 13 2017, 11:33 AM) *

My front main seal was 44 years old and I replaced it with a new one from Auto Atlanta today.

1) the (new) lateral (parallel to the car length) targa seal, attached to the roof, on the driver's side doesn't match up with the new main seal and cannot be moved forward any more. The gap is almost a full cm. barf.gif I reckon I'll dab some black silicon onto it and the main seal where they meet to try to close the gap, but I highly doubt that my roof won't leak there. mad.gif

2) it took two of us to get the roof on with the new seal, which, btw. was a pain in the ass to get on properly. We needed to put the emergency brake on and push the roof forward with all our might to get the front latch to be able to grab. Does anyone know how long it'll take for this thing to "break in" so that I can put the roof on without a struggle?

Any other tips and / or feedback on this subject?

Thanks! beerchug.gif

M.i.M.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=730
956]
dr914@autoatlanta.com
as all 914s are not created equal, I have posted several pictures to see how different cars look where the top side seal butts against the front windshield frame seal
Click to view attachment
MikeInMunich
Thanks George! I’ll see what I can do and get back to you again one of these days. And my new seat covers...y’all are waiting on me, I know. I will get back to your peeps on that real soon as well!

All the best,

M.i.M.
PCH
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 19 2020, 02:22 PM) *

Thanks George! I’ll see what I can do and get back to you again one of these days. And my new seat covers...y’all are waiting on me, I know. I will get back to your peeps on that real soon as well!

All the best,

M.i.M.

Mike:

I have had the same problem you did. It turned out that it was the crappy reproduction seal that would never fit.

I bought a genuine Porsche seal and thought I'd check it for fit. In 15 minutes, I (with no one else's help) had it completely installed with a perfect fit. I didn't even get my office clothes dirty! Just make sure you slide the corner into the right place.

Peter

Mikey914
My seal is not from AA, we make our own and they are like OEM in that the internal clip co extruded in the top seal.

What you are running into is the clip is too tight. It should be seated firmly on the pinchweld. The problem with the AA seal is that if you pull it off the rubber can come out of the metal. So if you remove it try not to pull it out. You may be able to get it to sit on the lip properly.

With any installation seating it all the way and straight should allow the roof to fit on. I think this is what you are running into.
Mark

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 14 2017, 04:01 PM) *

I believe that AA supplies that seal to Mark W. & 914Rubber, just as Mark cross supplies many parts to Sierra Madre, Stoddards, AA, & maybe Ecklers/Automotion/Performance Products. So you're really talking same-same on these repro seals.

It's usually a seating issue with that seal, as McMark said, which can be getting it into place &/or any old adhesive not getting completely cleaned off.

I certainly would check that cleaning & seating issue 1st Mike - before having a team Ruck effort to get the top on.

Maybe Mark W. can explain better where he gets this seal for 914Rubber, & proper fitment on there? confused24.gif

Good Luck Mike! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

zfisher6164
I posted a how to install main seal a few months ago, George is correct, use tons of silicone grease and the seal will fit perfectly, make sure your seal has the metal clips in
the top main seal rubber
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.