Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the slippery slope..., Porsche 6-cylinder conversion
Optimusglen
post Jul 7 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 7 2017, 09:34 AM) *

BTW and just an FYI Ben would have given you a better deal on the tank than the ebay guy.

Ben and I had talked, he wanted more than that and I'd still need to supply my own fittings. He did have another option with fittings included but it was even more. In the end I'm more comfortable machining than bending sheetmetal so I went this route. We have been talking though.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 7 2017, 09:52 AM) *
Glen I currently have one of the vellios tanks that I bought in halves.. It is not as simple as just mill,drill and weld.. The screen, plumbing has to be done or you destroy an engine in short order.

I understand the design of the tank, with the screens and oil pipes inside, I'm a mechanical designer by trade so I'm not going to booger weld it together and call it a day.

I know you are selling the Vellios tank you built up while designing your tank, but that tank is completed, and well over double what I will have into this, and it would take all of the fun out of building my own.

For the tensioners, yes I had already planned a rebuild to go with the collars. I may be cheap, but I'm not going to half-ass this engine build.

I'm also getting the parts properly inspected, the case halves line bored, proper case savers installed (I will probably do this myself) the cylinder base decks machined, etc etc etc. I'm not a hillbilly in my backyard and I know when it's time to bring in a professional.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 7 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

So one option for tensioners when talking extensively with Henry at supertec was to drill into the bottom of the chain cases and put a removable plug in there so mechanical adjusters could be adjusted in the car and then plugged .. Might be an option.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 7 2017, 09:28 AM
Post #43

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 7 2017, 10:55 AM) *

... proper case savers installed (I will probably do this myself) the cylinder base decks machined, etc etc etc. I'm not a hillbilly in my backyard and I know when it's time to bring in a professional.

Case savers have to be done on a mill, I've seen a fair share of "porcupine cases" where the casesavers have been done by hand or on a drill press and not a single stud is square.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 7 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #44

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 7 2017, 10:28 AM) *

Case savers have to be done on a mill, I've seen a fair share of "porcupine cases" where the casesavers have been done by hand or on a drill press and not a single stud is square.

Haha, from earlier in the thread:

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 6 2017, 08:09 PM) *
I have access to an end mill, lathe, and pretty much entire machine shop (CNC is off limits).

I should add that I've been trained on these as well, I'm not just jimmying my way into the shop after hours.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 7 2017, 09:58 AM
Post #45

that's what I do!

That's great...but I bet you still go over budget. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 7 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #46

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 7 2017, 10:58 AM) *

That's great...but I bet you still go over budget. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

In other news, water is wet and boobs are good. More at eleven.

LOl, do builds ever go under budget? none of mine have.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 7 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #47

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 7 2017, 12:08 PM) *

Depends on if you are asking...or my wife is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 7 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 7 2017, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 7 2017, 12:08 PM) *

Depends on if you are asking...or my wife is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thats for sure.. Lol
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Jul 7 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
I have a 70's 911T in my 914. If you need parts for the zeniths let me know. I acquired a few of them.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 13 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #50

Yesterday I made the drive to a friends to pick up the specialty tools for removing the cam gears, got a little box of goodies from his engine build as well, case sealer etc.

So, now I was able to dig into the motor more (technically, I could have without the tools, but potato tomato) Started with the cyl 1-2-3 bank. pulled the rockers, cam, cam housing, heads, and cylinders.

cam is 901.105.133.0R which is the stock cam for this engine (1971 911T). I'll be measuring them up to see if they've been ground at all.

cam - #3 cyl end
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959839.1.jpg)

cam - middle
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959839.2.jpg)

cam - #1 cyl end
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959839.3.jpg)

#1 head
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959840.4.jpg)

#2 head
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959840.5.jpg)

#3 head
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959840.6.jpg)

all of the cylinders looked like this
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959840.7.jpg)

everything is generally caked in either carbon deposits or oil/grime, but is in generally good shape.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959840.8.jpg)

So, everything looks pretty good. And by pretty good I mean nothing terribly terribly borked. i.e. no valve/piston contact or broken rings. The whole thing came apart pretty easily, no complaints.

Of course I've been bagging and tagging all the hardware, bigger items go into my build cabinet
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1499959840.9.jpg)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 14 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #51

Tore down a bit more. #4/5/6 pistons, cylinders, and heads all in equal shape to 1/2/3 that I pictured above, no terminal damage so far. To be honest, to me it looks like a pretty good rebuild by whomever did it.

Not pictured, but the chain wheels look almost new.

Went to inspect the head studs and found something...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1500043051.1.jpg)

Looks like someone installed case savers already. Judging by the fact that all of the cylinders and heads came up with no issues, I'd say they're straight. The one on the left is slightly proud of the surface, where the right one is flush.

All of the studs on this case half have them, didn't even think to flip it over and check the other side, I got called away right after I took this pic.

Again, no history on this motor. Complete unknown. So it's nice to see this when I very well could have been looking at toasted valves, heads, chains, and much more.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jul 14 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Hard too beat the sound and feel of the flat six.

Since your buying new pistons consider larger barrels and pistons (if possible). EBS racing at least used to have many options. When I did my motor I could have up'd the liter size by .2 for only a few hundred dollars (I was buying barrels anyways). and this will increase horsepower and overall value. Also fyi Henry at Supertec has a good oil pump rebuild program if you are doing the bottom end.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 14 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #53

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I get all my parts from Henry and he just did my oil pump as well.. Looks like you have time certs and not case savers not that it really matters. Attached Image my case has case savers that Henry installed.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 14 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #54

914 Guru

Did you find any chunk s in the sump screen?
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 14 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #55

screen is clear of any/all chunks.

Yeah I have time serts looks like, real case savers are larger.

So, given that it's not going to be a high compression motor, I think I'll just keep these and not drill for case savers. Especially since these are all straight and no boogerage. What do you guys think?
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jul 14 2017, 12:51 PM
Post #56

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 14 2017, 08:44 AM) *

So, given that it's not going to be a high compression motor, I think I'll just keep these and not drill for case savers. Especially since these are all straight and no boogerage. What do you guys think?

What would be considered high compression? I have a 2.7 with what looks like time certs (look like yours), and I plan on running 9.5:1 JEs. Wondering if I can get away with these as well...
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 14 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #57

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 7 2017, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 6 2017, 07:10 PM) *

I doubt if I will do Carrera tensioners.

Slippery slope........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And at 800 for a kit crazy money.

On the Carrera tensioners. When I asked my engine builder why we did not go with the oil fed tensioners he said that even though Porsche used them on the later cars rebuilding the old 930 tensioners was very low in price and that they work for a super long time.
Plus he said they are like shock absorbers and as they may go out at some time it does not just fail without some noise giving an owner a notice that they are not working right,

Now the complete failure of one of the tensioner could mean destroying you engine. I feel that I will be fine. Keep clean oil and who is going to put 150,000 miles on there 914? The last set of oil fed tensioners was $500. I guess the price keeps going up.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 14 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 14 2017, 01:51 PM) *

What would be considered high compression? I have a 2.7 with what looks like time certs (look like yours), and I plan on running 9.5:1 JEs. Wondering if I can get away with these as well...

Since I am far from an expert, I'd say you should either do the research and decide for yourself, or talk to someone that would actually know what they're talking about. Lots of threads on Pelican about the topic, and good ol google searching.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 14 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #59

914 Guru

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 14 2017, 08:44 AM) *

I would agree and to be honest on a "low" hp engine time certs or case savers just are not needed.. Now 2.7s well most need it.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 14 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I would be quite happy with what you found on the inside of this /6 engine. That looks like a nice start, and you have saved some money in that it isn't all fu*ked up like a lot of "unknown" or "it ran great when pulled" engines can be.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:20 PM