Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmisson, 1st Gear Question
xperu
post Jun 24 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #1

TEXAS

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,213
Region Association: None

I drive a 74 4 cylinder. W pulling my shift into 1st, say at a complete stop I have a very difficult time pulling the shift into 1st and sometimes I have to put in 2nd to go. Most of the time I will put it in 1st while coasting to a stop. When going through the rest of the gears the trans shifts very smooth. Any help would be appreciated. Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 24 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 24 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

This is very common with worn 901 transmissions. Like Elliot said, check your clutch adjustment. Maybe you'll get lucky. Sadly, it's usually the synchros/sliders in the tranny which requires tearing it apart and replacing parts.

In the mean time, slipping into 3rd just before into 1st can help, as it slows down the moving parts when the synchros aren't doing their job.

This has been a huge frustration to me as well, because my current car was sold to me as "good shifting" but it's the same old problem I've had with two other bagged out sideshifters. It's ironic when the best shifting car I've ever had was a 1970 tailshifter. Simply a matter of the wear factor on the internal parts.

I'm in the market for a Dr Evil clinic or an absolutely trustworthy fresh sideshift tranny.... Or, should I wait to go all Subie?

Sorry for the hijack Mike, but seemed on topic enough to fit the conversation.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 25 2017, 05:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mike, the first gear slider and synchro can be changed without a transmission tear down.....Only need to take off rear cone where first and reverse reside. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jun 25 2017, 06:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,985

Other common causes of shifting issues that may be looking into if the above suggestions don't work:
Loose set screw in the knuckle on the shift rod just behind the engine firewall.
Shift linkages bushings worn. One in firewall, another back where linkage attaches to the trans.
Less likely, but misaligned shift linkage (just below shifter, where it attaches to shift rod).
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jun 27 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 25 2017, 05:02 AM) *

Other common causes of shifting issues that may be looking into if the above suggestions don't work:
Loose set screw in the knuckle on the shift rod just behind the engine firewall.
Shift linkages bushings worn. One in firewall, another back where linkage attaches to the trans.
Less likely, but misaligned shift linkage (just below shifter, where it attaches to shift rod).

and to add another possible issue: the clutch fork may have a worn plastic bushing therein causing inadequate compression of the t/o bearing. I had this problem with a solution of inserting a shaved edge dime into the fork cup then reinserting the bushing. All gears with no gnashing whatsoever now.

cheers
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 27 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jun 27 2017, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 25 2017, 05:02 AM) *

and to add another possible issue: the clutch fork may have a worn plastic bushing therein causing inadequate compression of the t/o bearing. I had this problem with a solution of inserting a shaved edge dime into the fork cup then reinserting the bushing. All gears with no gnashing whatsoever now.

cheers

Also engine rubber mounts may be shot.
+Quote Post
xperu
post Jul 6 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #8

TEXAS

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 24 2017, 04:44 PM) *

I made the clutch adjustment................ first time I've done this, but it works much better. 1st gear slides right in. I replaced the motor mounts and all bushing a couple of years ago. Thanks everyone. Always a good education here! Thanks Mike
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 6 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 6 2017, 01:41 PM) *

I made the clutch adjustment................ first time I've done this, but it works much better. 1st gear slides right in. I replaced the motor mounts and all bushing a couple of years ago. Thanks everyone. Always a good education here! Thanks Mike

If in case, after few miles or driving it and issue comes back. Probably your clutch tube need some attention too.
+Quote Post
xperu
post Jul 7 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #10

TEXAS

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 6 2017, 07:39 PM) *

If in case, after few miles or driving it and issue comes back. Probably your clutch tube need some attention too.

Got it! Thanks Mike
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 7 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

When trouble shooting a problem, you should always do the easiest thing first. In other words, it's a lot easier to first make sure the clutch is adjusted properly than it is to pull the engine and trans. to check the clutch fork. IMHO
+Quote Post
xperu
post Jul 11 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #12

TEXAS

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 7 2017, 01:45 PM) *

When trouble shooting a problem, you should always do the easiest thing first. In other words, it's a lot easier to first make sure the clutch is adjusted properly than it is to pull the engine and trans. to check the clutch fork. IMHO

Funny, but very true. Mike Kelly
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:30 AM