Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmisson
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I drive a 74 4 cylinder. W pulling my shift into 1st, say at a complete stop I have a very difficult time pulling the shift into 1st and sometimes I have to put in 2nd to go. Most of the time I will put it in 1st while coasting to a stop. When going through the rest of the gears the trans shifts very smooth. Any help would be appreciated. Mike
Elliot Cannon
Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted.
Rand
This is very common with worn 901 transmissions. Like Elliot said, check your clutch adjustment. Maybe you'll get lucky. Sadly, it's usually the synchros/sliders in the tranny which requires tearing it apart and replacing parts.

In the mean time, slipping into 3rd just before into 1st can help, as it slows down the moving parts when the synchros aren't doing their job.

This has been a huge frustration to me as well, because my current car was sold to me as "good shifting" but it's the same old problem I've had with two other bagged out sideshifters. It's ironic when the best shifting car I've ever had was a 1970 tailshifter. Simply a matter of the wear factor on the internal parts.

I'm in the market for a Dr Evil clinic or an absolutely trustworthy fresh sideshift tranny.... Or, should I wait to go all Subie?

Sorry for the hijack Mike, but seemed on topic enough to fit the conversation.
mlindner
Mike, the first gear slider and synchro can be changed without a transmission tear down.....Only need to take off rear cone where first and reverse reside. Best, Mark
stownsen914
Other common causes of shifting issues that may be looking into if the above suggestions don't work:
Loose set screw in the knuckle on the shift rod just behind the engine firewall.
Shift linkages bushings worn. One in firewall, another back where linkage attaches to the trans.
Less likely, but misaligned shift linkage (just below shifter, where it attaches to shift rod).
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 25 2017, 05:02 AM) *

Other common causes of shifting issues that may be looking into if the above suggestions don't work:
Loose set screw in the knuckle on the shift rod just behind the engine firewall.
Shift linkages bushings worn. One in firewall, another back where linkage attaches to the trans.
Less likely, but misaligned shift linkage (just below shifter, where it attaches to shift rod).

and to add another possible issue: the clutch fork may have a worn plastic bushing therein causing inadequate compression of the t/o bearing. I had this problem with a solution of inserting a shaved edge dime into the fork cup then reinserting the bushing. All gears with no gnashing whatsoever now.

cheers
Mark Henry
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jun 27 2017, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 25 2017, 05:02 AM) *

and to add another possible issue: the clutch fork may have a worn plastic bushing therein causing inadequate compression of the t/o bearing. I had this problem with a solution of inserting a shaved edge dime into the fork cup then reinserting the bushing. All gears with no gnashing whatsoever now.

cheers

Also engine rubber mounts may be shot.
xperu
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 24 2017, 04:44 PM) *

I made the clutch adjustment................ first time I've done this, but it works much better. 1st gear slides right in. I replaced the motor mounts and all bushing a couple of years ago. Thanks everyone. Always a good education here! Thanks Mike
ndfrigi
QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 6 2017, 01:41 PM) *

I made the clutch adjustment................ first time I've done this, but it works much better. 1st gear slides right in. I replaced the motor mounts and all bushing a couple of years ago. Thanks everyone. Always a good education here! Thanks Mike

If in case, after few miles or driving it and issue comes back. Probably your clutch tube need some attention too.
xperu
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 6 2017, 07:39 PM) *

If in case, after few miles or driving it and issue comes back. Probably your clutch tube need some attention too.

Got it! Thanks Mike
Elliot Cannon

When trouble shooting a problem, you should always do the easiest thing first. In other words, it's a lot easier to first make sure the clutch is adjusted properly than it is to pull the engine and trans. to check the clutch fork. IMHO
xperu
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 7 2017, 01:45 PM) *

When trouble shooting a problem, you should always do the easiest thing first. In other words, it's a lot easier to first make sure the clutch is adjusted properly than it is to pull the engine and trans. to check the clutch fork. IMHO

Funny, but very true. Mike Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.