Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Throttle Cable Tube question, How far does it extend?
clapeza
post Jul 6 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,677
Region Association: South East States

Title says it all...

I'm replacing my throttle cable with a nice smooth new one from TerryCable, and need a little assistance. My previous cable was actually run through the speedometer cable tube and electric-taped to the speedo cable. I ran a stiff wire into the proper throttle cable tube, and got it to go about 2 feet in before it stopped cold. Exactly how far does the throttle cable tube extend forward? How much forward of the shifter does it go?

A prior owner has already cut his own access panels between the shifter and the "real" access panel next to the accelerator pedal, and tack welded them back in place. I've considered cutting them back out and making a new cover panel that screws back into place. I think it was done to fix a broken clutch tube.

Anyway, the throttle cable tube is blocked somewhere along its path, and I'm needing a way to open it back up. Any BTDT advice?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
914work
post Jul 6 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,762
Region Association: None

Not sure this will help your situation but I often have found that a sticky accell cable is due to obstruction or crustiness in the tube.
One way I clear an intact tube is to use a coat hanger or similar stiff heavy gauge wire that I flatten on the end to provide a scraping tool then chuck up the other end in a drill,
Insert and work it with varying speed and pressure till it emerges the other end.
Resist the urge to use grease or penetrating oil or if you do clean & dry the tube before inserting your new cable
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 6 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

How about some pictures of the inside of a center tunnel?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...nter_tunnel.htm

--DD
+Quote Post
clapeza
post Jul 7 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,677
Region Association: South East States

@914Werke: Great idea! I'll probably make a few wires of varying lengths and go from there.

@Dave: Great links. I knew there were several good photos out there, but couldn't find them initially.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:41 AM