Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Cable Tube question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
Title says it all...

I'm replacing my throttle cable with a nice smooth new one from TerryCable, and need a little assistance. My previous cable was actually run through the speedometer cable tube and electric-taped to the speedo cable. I ran a stiff wire into the proper throttle cable tube, and got it to go about 2 feet in before it stopped cold. Exactly how far does the throttle cable tube extend forward? How much forward of the shifter does it go?

A prior owner has already cut his own access panels between the shifter and the "real" access panel next to the accelerator pedal, and tack welded them back in place. I've considered cutting them back out and making a new cover panel that screws back into place. I think it was done to fix a broken clutch tube.

Anyway, the throttle cable tube is blocked somewhere along its path, and I'm needing a way to open it back up. Any BTDT advice?

914work
Not sure this will help your situation but I often have found that a sticky accell cable is due to obstruction or crustiness in the tube.
One way I clear an intact tube is to use a coat hanger or similar stiff heavy gauge wire that I flatten on the end to provide a scraping tool then chuck up the other end in a drill,
Insert and work it with varying speed and pressure till it emerges the other end.
Resist the urge to use grease or penetrating oil or if you do clean & dry the tube before inserting your new cable
Dave_Darling
How about some pictures of the inside of a center tunnel?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...nter_tunnel.htm

--DD
clapeza
@914Werke: Great idea! I'll probably make a few wires of varying lengths and go from there.

@Dave: Great links. I knew there were several good photos out there, but couldn't find them initially.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.