Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebuilding Throttle Bodies, New service. No more sticky throttle!
Bartlett 914
post Jul 17 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Recently I got tired of my sticky uneven throttle body. I was stuck in construction traffic and inching forward became almost impossible. I decided to repair mine. The throttle body shaft has no bearing. It is steel against aluminum. In time the round hole becomes an oval one. This makes the throttle plate operate erratically. It even sticks when in the closed position.

I made a setup in my machine shop to repair these. I accurately locate the shaft hole and boar it to fit an oilite bushing. I have done a dozen of these so far. In my car, the difference was incredible. I expected the operation off idle to be improved which it did but I also found the operation was smoother through the operating range.

I decided I could offer this as a service. In this, I will clean the body and install the new bushings. This operation requires special machining in order to keep things aligned properly. At this point, I am not plating anything. I am only cleaning the steel components. I may offer plated parts later but not at this time. I will need a core in exchange for one I send out or I can repair yours but there will be a delay in doing this. There are some that have 2 ports and some with only one. Some have a built in return spring and the other does not. You can see the differences in the ones pictured.

If you are interested in this service, My starting price is $125.00 plus shipping

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 17 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds like a great deal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 17 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #3

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 17 2017, 07:22 PM) *

Recently I got tired of my sticky uneven throttle body. I was stuck in construction traffic and inching forward became almost impossible. I decided to repair mine. The throttle body shaft has no bearing. It is steel against aluminum. In time the round hole becomes an oval one. This makes the throttle plate operate erratically. It even sticks when in the closed position.

I made a setup in my machine shop to repair these. I accurately locate the shaft hole and boar it to fit an oilite bushing. I have done a dozen of these so far. In my car, the difference was incredible. I expected the operation off idle to be improved which it did but I also found the operation was smoother through the operating range.

I decided I could offer this as a service. In this, I will clean the body and install the new bushings. This operation requires special machining in order to keep things aligned properly. At this point, I am not plating anything. I am only cleaning the steel components. I may offer plated parts later but not at this time. I will need a core in exchange for one I send out or I can repair yours but there will be a delay in doing this. There are some that have 2 ports and some with only one. Some have a built in return spring and the other does not. You can see the differences in the ones pictured.

If you are interested in this service, My starting price is $125.00 plus shipping

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 17 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Nice. Have you thought about doing this with Weber carbs too?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 17 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The late Mike Cooley also provided this service. He pressed Oilite bushings in and reamed to fit. He did a number of them, but it wasn't enough to keep him busy, so eventually he sold off the tooling. When people started asking him to do more of them, he tried with the wrong tooling--and it didn't work very well.

Glad to see someone is providing this service again!

--DD
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 17 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Harry Bieker of Bicker engineering did Webbers but it took forever to get them back but his work was tops. He had lots of special jigs. Drilled bushings out and then pressed new ones in and fit new shafts.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 17 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 17 2017, 10:34 PM) *

Nice. Have you thought about doing this with Weber carbs too?

I am sure I could. Let's see where this goes first
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 18 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Definitely interested. But I need plated parts, so I'll disassemble mine and include pre-plated hardware to reinstall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 18 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 18 2017, 10:44 AM) *

Definitely interested. But I need plated parts, so I'll disassemble mine and include pre-plated hardware to reinstall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Hi Mark

If interested in this, please include any plated parts so I can make sure all fits smoothly. Plating will be available in the not too distant future
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jul 18 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #10

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Very interested in this service. I can send it to you when you're ready - just let me know. Thanks!
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 19 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

I'm interested as well, do you offer core service so my car is not down during the process?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 19 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Got a spare TB stripped down. Wire brushed all the steel parts. Ready for zinc plating. Polished the throttle plate for fun. And soda blasted the body. Once I get the steel back then it'll head your way. It actually feels like it's in pretty good shape, but I'll send it along anyway and wait for your assessment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 19 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(solex @ Jul 19 2017, 09:09 AM) *

I'm interested as well, do you offer core service so my car is not down during the process?

I can do that!
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 19 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2017, 09:28 AM) *

Got a spare TB stripped down. Wire brushed all the steel parts. Ready for zinc plating. Polished the throttle plate for fun. And soda blasted the body. Once I get the steel back then it'll head your way. It actually feels like it's in pretty good shape, but I'll send it along anyway and wait for your assessment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Hi Mark

That look really nice. I realized more people are going to expect a better finish that what I pictured. My camera does seem to make things look worse than they are. I have started to glass bead blast the parts. They are looking better. I am also replacing the nut with a silver colored zinc plated nut. I am also replacing the 2 washers with Stainless steel ones. These are also silver but will never corrode and are very smooth. I am looking into plating.
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 19 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 19 2017, 10:40 AM) *

I can do that!

Let me know what needs to be done. I have a 75' throttle body with a built in return spring.

I also seem to remember someone offering to open up the throat with a larger throttle plate, does this offer any performance enhancement?
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 19 2017, 11:44 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(solex @ Jul 19 2017, 10:41 AM) *

I can do that!

Let me know what needs to be done. I have a 75' throttle body with a built in return spring.

I also seem to remember someone offering to open up the throat with a larger throttle plate, does this offer any performance enhancement?

I am planning on making this available also
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 19 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 19 2017, 01:44 PM) *

I can do that!

Mark or Anyone does modification this make an appreciable difference with a stock euro piston 2.0L with SS heat exchanges and Bursch exhaust.

thanks
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 19 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(solex @ Jul 19 2017, 02:46 PM) *

I can do that!

Mark or Anyone does modification this make an appreciable difference with a stock euro piston 2.0L with SS heat exchanges and Bursch exhaust.

thanks

I have no idea but I did do a calculation on this. The TB is 45mm. A 10% in area (2.0L to a 2.2L) it needs to be 47.5mm
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 19 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #19

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 19 2017, 07:44 AM) *
Hi Mark

That look really nice. I realized more people are going to expect a better finish that what I pictured. My camera does seem to make things look worse than they are. I have started to glass bead blast the parts. They are looking better. I am also replacing the nut with a silver colored zinc plated nut. I am also replacing the 2 washers with Stainless steel ones. These are also silver but will never corrode and are very smooth. I am looking into plating.
Need to be vigilant with thorough cleaning when bead blasting anything that will introduce particles into a motor's internals. Glass beads will destroy a motor's internals.

May I suggest soda blasting as Mark has done? I've seen motors destroyed due to captured, then dislodged glass beads.
+Quote Post
Whip618
post Jul 19 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,448

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 19 2017, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(solex @ Jul 19 2017, 02:46 PM) *

I can do that!

thanks

I have no idea but I did do a calculation on this. The TB is 45mm. A 10% in area (2.0L to a 2.2L) it needs to be 47.5mm

Of the almost three hundred throttle bodies I have machined only a few customers have asked to bore the throttle body casting larger than was necessary to clean up the grooves left from the throttle plate wearing down into the bore and the opinion in almost all cases was that the extra overbore did not contribute a great deal to performance, my goal in re-machining these throttle bodies is to provide a very smooth and long lived assembly that will give the driver a sense of driving a different car by having a stable idle and eliminating the sticky throttle.

Phil
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:39 AM