Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1911 injectors?, re-hash, I know
r3dplanet
post Jul 19 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

Hi.

Does someone know which injectors are best to use with a 1911cc engine? The D-Jet system is from a 1973 1.7 liter engine. I originally did not know that the engine had larger displacement and tried to use the VW black injectors, but those didn't squirt enough fuel. The yellow injectors were near impossible to find but I think those are also not adequate.

Your thoughts? Share them with me.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 19 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I don't think the injectors are the problem. I've always understood the stock injectors to be a bit on the large size for our engines.

You can also just bump the fuel pressure to give enrichment across the board. So 1.7 injectors could be fine by running an extra few PSI. Worth a shot for free.
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jul 19 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #3

Interesting...

The injectors I was using aren't stock. The stock yellow injectors were unavailable at the time, so I switched to the black injectors for 1600cc engines. At the time I didn't know the displacement was 1911cc. The stock displacement is 1679cc so I figured the black injectors would be good enough. I could never get the engine to run right because it ran horribly lean as you can imagine. My thinking is that the black injectors are inadequate for the job.

I'll try bumping the fuel pressure just as soon as I put the engine back together. Just planning ahead.

I appreciate your thoughts.

-m.

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2017, 10:32 AM) *

I don't think the injectors are the problem. I've always understood the stock injectors to be a bit on the large size for our engines.

You can also just bump the fuel pressure to give enrichment across the board. So 1.7 injectors could be fine by running an extra few PSI. Worth a shot for free.

+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 19 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Another thought....

You might also tee in a vacuum gauge with your MPS hose, just to see what sort of vacuum signal you're getting at idle. Maybe they swapped in a cam with more overlap and the MPS isn't getting enough vacuum. Inserting a small orifice (MIG welder tips work well for this) can slow down the vacuum signal, sort of averaging. That may make a difference as well.
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jul 19 2017, 03:13 PM
Post #5

I think you're a mind reader sometimes.

Yes, the autopsy showed that it had a hotter cam in it now that I remember some of the details. I'm toying with the idea of maybe just selling the D-Jet as a complete running kit. I went through the MPS with a rebuild kit and verified its function with a Fluke meter.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself. Maybe I should figure out whether I'll keep or sell the D-Jet assembly before I dink with it too much. I just didn't want to sell it unless I knew for sure it was perfect.

Hmm... wish I had a 1.7 runner sitting here.

Thanks!

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2017, 01:47 PM) *

Another thought....

You might also tee in a vacuum gauge with your MPS hose, just to see what sort of vacuum signal you're getting at idle. Maybe they swapped in a cam with more overlap and the MPS isn't getting enough vacuum. Inserting a small orifice (MIG welder tips work well for this) can slow down the vacuum signal, sort of averaging. That may make a difference as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:54 PM