Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need harness guide bar & belts, Where and how much?
phantom914
post May 17 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #21

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 17 2005, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 17 2005, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (seanery @ May 17 2005, 03:07 PM)
I had a harness bar in my car for about a week. It is in an odd position, if you are tall and like the seat all the way back, you may have a problem.

im trying to have one made like the one in joe sharps car.
it has a hump over the headrests

You could always beat the top of your head flat (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

I'll do it for him.

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
spunone
post May 17 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,901
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 17 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #23

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

simple

bolts in at the same place.... has a slight hump over each seat. thus enabling one to run their seat all the way back, AND be able to use a harness bar.
dont make me use MS paint!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 17 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

The harness bar with belts will not keep you in the seat in the event of a rollover. Your body will slide up because there is nothing to hold you down. SCCA rules state the harness' must be below shoulder level to properly hold you in the car. Mount them too low and the compression of the spine becomes an issue. Mount them the way all the manufacturers suggest and you will be fine.

B
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jun 3 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #25

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ok...I have been going back through all of the "harness bar" related threads and taking everyone's opinion on the issue and it is pretty mixed. So this is what I have come up with:

I disagree with the idea that you should ONLY put in harnesses if you are going to put in a full cage. Maybe that is a good idea for the hard-core guys but lets face it, that isn't me. I have a bone stock 1.8 that I drive when the weather is nice and I plan on autoX when it starts this fall. I think there is hardly a need for a full cage.

The use of a harness bar however, I can't quite decide on. I talked to guy at a local shop here that recommended one so the harnesses aren't falling down in the seat when you take them off. Trekkor, are yours a PIA to get off and on or is it really no big deal? He also recommended a harness guide bar that has loops to run the harnesses through so they don't slide left or right. Good idea? He showed me the set up on his 944. I know, its a different car but it illustrated his point. Like all of you, he was also very focused on the positioning of the mounting points in the back of the car. He made sure that everyone was clear on the fact that it is merely a "guide" bar.

I did buy some real nice harnesses from xitspd so now I just need to decide on "to bar, or not to bar....THAT is the question" BTW - Dan(xitspd) has been great to work with.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jun 3 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #26

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jun 3 2005, 07:28 AM)
Ok...I have been going back through all of the "harness bar" related threads and taking everyone's opinion on the issue and it is pretty mixed. So this is what I have come up with:

I disagree with the idea that you should ONLY put in harnesses if you are going to put in a full cage. Maybe that is a good idea for the hard-core guys but lets face it, that isn't me. I have a bone stock 1.8 that I drive when the weather is nice and I plan on autoX when it starts this fall. I think there is hardly a need for a full cage.

The use of a harness bar however, I can't quite decide on. I talked to guy at a local shop here that recommended one so the harnesses aren't falling down in the seat when you take them off. Trekkor, are yours a PIA to get off and on or is it really no big deal? He also recommended a harness guide bar that has loops to run the harnesses through so they don't slide left or right. Good idea? He showed me the set up on his 944. I know, its a different car but it illustrated his point. Like all of you, he was also very focused on the positioning of the mounting points in the back of the car. He made sure that everyone was clear on the fact that it is merely a "guide" bar.

I did buy some real nice harnesses from xitspd so now I just need to decide on "to bar, or not to bar....THAT is the question" BTW - Dan(xitspd) has been great to work with.

What year car do you have? The early cars 70 & 71 with the non moving passenger seat could be a problem. The head rest "might" be in the way of the harness bar. My car is a 70 and that is one reason why I didn't go with a harness bar.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Dan is a stand up guy and I am more than happy everything he has done for me. Thanks Dan (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jun 3 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #27

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mine is a 75. No problems with the fixed seat.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 3 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #28

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

so... what are the threads on the eyebolts?

i need 5 eyebolts per harness, and i need 2 that fit into the stock lap belt bolt holes....

[/hijack]
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 02:14 PM