Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Key Codes, Can they be reverse engineered?
bbrock
post Jul 31 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

In the down time when I'm not chopping huge chunks of rested metal out of my car, I've been working on more fiddly tasks. Lately it has been cleaning and re-keying all of my locks. Dan (tweet) set me up with a new-to-me OEM ignition lock to replace the VW part installed by a PO, a new master key blank, and the right wafers to complete my matching lock set. He really went above and beyond what I expected making sure I was taken care of! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Now to the question. My original key is pretty worn and nicked up, so I'd like to have a good master cut from the code... which I don't have. I do know the tumbler sequence now. This old thread indicates the wafer sequence and key code are the same. If so, which direction is it read from?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 1 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #2

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Code is read shoulder to tip in a code book. Each tumbler will have 4-5 debths. (Can't remember how many). A real locksmith will look at a worn key and within 1-3 tries cut a new key for you.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 1 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Wafers are numbered 1-4.
Once you know the 10 digit sequence, someone with a digital key cutter can cut the profile in new keys without seeing the old key.
The only other data required by the machine is a code for old Porsche keys to set the spacing between cuts.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 1 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 1 2017, 09:49 AM) *

Code is read shoulder to tip in a code book. Each tumbler will have 4-5 debths. (Can't remember how many). A real locksmith will look at a worn key and within 1-3 tries cut a new key for you.

That's what I needed. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) As I suspected, I wrote down my tumbler sequence exactly reverse of the code (tip to shoulder). FYI, there are 4 depths with #5 being the valet tumbler that doesn't count for the code.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 1 2017, 11:15 AM) *

Wafers are numbered 1-4.
Once you know the 10 digit sequence, someone with a digital key cutter can cut the profile in new keys without seeing the old key.
The only other data required by the machine is a code for old Porsche keys to set the spacing between cuts.

Exactly what I was hoping for Chris. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

In my case I have the old key and now the code. It's nice having a full set of locks working from one key. Owned 3 914s and never had this before. Well, the first one might have had matching locks but I only had the red valet key without knowing that's what it was. Now I just need to get the rust bucket repaired and reassembled so I have something to put my nice re-keyed locks into. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:49 PM