Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Key Codes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
In the down time when I'm not chopping huge chunks of rested metal out of my car, I've been working on more fiddly tasks. Lately it has been cleaning and re-keying all of my locks. Dan (tweet) set me up with a new-to-me OEM ignition lock to replace the VW part installed by a PO, a new master key blank, and the right wafers to complete my matching lock set. He really went above and beyond what I expected making sure I was taken care of! smilie_pokal.gif

Now to the question. My original key is pretty worn and nicked up, so I'd like to have a good master cut from the code... which I don't have. I do know the tumbler sequence now. This old thread indicates the wafer sequence and key code are the same. If so, which direction is it read from?

Thanks.
bandjoey
Code is read shoulder to tip in a code book. Each tumbler will have 4-5 debths. (Can't remember how many). A real locksmith will look at a worn key and within 1-3 tries cut a new key for you.
ChrisFoley
Wafers are numbered 1-4.
Once you know the 10 digit sequence, someone with a digital key cutter can cut the profile in new keys without seeing the old key.
The only other data required by the machine is a code for old Porsche keys to set the spacing between cuts.
bbrock
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 1 2017, 09:49 AM) *

Code is read shoulder to tip in a code book. Each tumbler will have 4-5 debths. (Can't remember how many). A real locksmith will look at a worn key and within 1-3 tries cut a new key for you.

That's what I needed. Thanks! beerchug.gif As I suspected, I wrote down my tumbler sequence exactly reverse of the code (tip to shoulder). FYI, there are 4 depths with #5 being the valet tumbler that doesn't count for the code.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 1 2017, 11:15 AM) *

Wafers are numbered 1-4.
Once you know the 10 digit sequence, someone with a digital key cutter can cut the profile in new keys without seeing the old key.
The only other data required by the machine is a code for old Porsche keys to set the spacing between cuts.

Exactly what I was hoping for Chris. Thanks! beer.gif

In my case I have the old key and now the code. It's nice having a full set of locks working from one key. Owned 3 914s and never had this before. Well, the first one might have had matching locks but I only had the red valet key without knowing that's what it was. Now I just need to get the rust bucket repaired and reassembled so I have something to put my nice re-keyed locks into. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.