Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carpet Adhesive?, What Adhesive to use for carpet set?
cfm9146
post May 18 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,949

I recently received my carpet set for my 914-6. The driver's and passenger's pieces fit perfectly. Can anyone recommend info about what adhesive to use for the peices that need to be glued? Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 18 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I like 3M spray adhesive.

Use just enough to tack the carpet down. If you need to remove anything (and you probably will later on), you don't want to tear it up.

-Rusty (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post May 18 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,432

you will want to use the 3m spray adhesive, i believe its 80 or 88 for heavy duty applications, it sprays out real stringy. Ive bought the 3m that sprays like spray paint before and that just wont work. ITs in a white can last i looked. Theres also another 3m one they sell at home depot in a green can that worked ok. 70 or something....sorry i cant be more specific, its still early
+Quote Post
mihai914
post May 18 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

Contact cement is another option, you brush it on both surfaces then wait untill it's dry to the touch and press the pad un the body. Works good and easy to find.
+Quote Post
skline
post May 18 2005, 06:01 AM
Post #5

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) 3M makes several different types of the spray adhesive. I use the Spray 77. As Lawrence says, use enough to hold it in, dont over do it or you will regret it later. I used to work for Brunswick Defense back in the late 70's and one of their divisions made carpet for a major car manufacturer, (Chrysler) and when we made the pieces for the rear and installed the carpet on the plastic pieces we used the spray 77. It worked great so that is why I use it. Besides, if you have a wasp or hornet problem, it works great to knock them down with. Their wings stick together and the fall as soon as the spray hit them and their wings stick together. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post May 18 2005, 06:10 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,432

yeah 77, i knew it was 70 something. I also use 80 or 88 that is some killer stuff for headliners and such.
+Quote Post
cfm9146
post May 18 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,949

installed the carpet on the plastic pieces we used the spray 77. It worked great so that is why I use it. Besides, if you have a wasp or hornet problem, it works great to knock them down with. Their wings stick together and the fall as soon as the spray hit them and their wings stick together.

Funny! A bodyshop painting a 914 4 "winter car" long ago once told me he discovered a hornet's nest in it and used the spray adhesive from his pad sander to "stick them in place..." . I thought it weird at the time, but have come to enjoy the practice...

Thanks for the carpet adhesive replies, 3M it is. (Some things never change, like 914s umm..., oxidizing, and AA being controversial...)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 11:40 AM