Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpet Adhesive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cfm9146

I recently received my carpet set for my 914-6. The driver's and passenger's pieces fit perfectly. Can anyone recommend info about what adhesive to use for the peices that need to be glued? Thanks!
Rusty
I like 3M spray adhesive.

Use just enough to tack the carpet down. If you need to remove anything (and you probably will later on), you don't want to tear it up.

-Rusty smoke.gif
xsboost90
you will want to use the 3m spray adhesive, i believe its 80 or 88 for heavy duty applications, it sprays out real stringy. Ive bought the 3m that sprays like spray paint before and that just wont work. ITs in a white can last i looked. Theres also another 3m one they sell at home depot in a green can that worked ok. 70 or something....sorry i cant be more specific, its still early
mihai914
Contact cement is another option, you brush it on both surfaces then wait untill it's dry to the touch and press the pad un the body. Works good and easy to find.
skline
agree.gif 3M makes several different types of the spray adhesive. I use the Spray 77. As Lawrence says, use enough to hold it in, dont over do it or you will regret it later. I used to work for Brunswick Defense back in the late 70's and one of their divisions made carpet for a major car manufacturer, (Chrysler) and when we made the pieces for the rear and installed the carpet on the plastic pieces we used the spray 77. It worked great so that is why I use it. Besides, if you have a wasp or hornet problem, it works great to knock them down with. Their wings stick together and the fall as soon as the spray hit them and their wings stick together. biggrin.gif
xsboost90
yeah 77, i knew it was 70 something. I also use 80 or 88 that is some killer stuff for headliners and such.
cfm9146
installed the carpet on the plastic pieces we used the spray 77. It worked great so that is why I use it. Besides, if you have a wasp or hornet problem, it works great to knock them down with. Their wings stick together and the fall as soon as the spray hit them and their wings stick together.

Funny! A bodyshop painting a 914 4 "winter car" long ago once told me he discovered a hornet's nest in it and used the spray adhesive from his pad sander to "stick them in place..." . I thought it weird at the time, but have come to enjoy the practice...

Thanks for the carpet adhesive replies, 3M it is. (Some things never change, like 914s umm..., oxidizing, and AA being controversial...)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.