Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> headlight bucket drain tube debate
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 14 2017, 06:28 AM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

For those on FaceBook (I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) ) On the 914World FB page a guy asked for a source of replacement drain tubes for his headlight buckets. One response was this link Rubber tube
which is a the rubber tube found in some 914 trunk floors.

Attached Image

My response was that they are all metal. Another guy claims his 76 has rubber tubes like the one in the above link. So........ I went out and looked at the 76 parts car I have to check, maybe I was wrong and in 76 they went with rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) , nope it is metal.

So why would a big parts seller list these as headlight drain tubes? 911s don't have them, correct? In the trunk floors yes, but headlights?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 14 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've never seen any rubber tube. All mine are just a simple and pretty large diameter steel tube. Let's debris out as well as water.
I'm pretty sure 911's use small rubber tubes but that's a completely different headlight bucket.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 14 2017, 07:21 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

You are correct Garold. 911 headlight buckets use a rubber tube but it is sourced from the VW beetle. Maybe the later 911 used the 914 front floor plugs.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 14 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

You're not crazy... (yet). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 14 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 14 2017, 05:28 AM) *

For those on FaceBook (I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) ) On the 914World FB page a guy asked for a source of replacement drain tubes for his headlight buckets. One response was this link Rubber tube
which is a the rubber tube found in some 914 trunk floors.

Attached Image

My response was that they are all metal. Another guy claims his 76 has rubber tubes like the one in the above link. So........ I went out and looked at the 76 parts car I have to check, maybe I was wrong and in 76 they went with rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) , nope it is metal.

So why would a big parts seller list these as headlight drain tubes? 911s don't have them, correct? In the trunk floors yes, but headlights?

Garold,

Whoever made that reply is confused on the headlight bucket application. That tube - which is indeed used on the 914 front trunk floor (2) - is NOT used on the 914 headlight buckets - the 914 used the steel tubes in all MYs, as you said.

However, those tubes are originally the headlight bucket drains used in the 911s/912s in the `60's & `70's (not sure up to when stopped on 911s) - which is probably why they are still available from Porsche (or were until recently), since Porsche better supports the 911 crowd.

So that part is both a 911/912 headlight bucket drain tube + 914 front trunk floor drain tube.

I see that AASE Sales (vendor at your link) is listing it as 1959 - 89 with four 911 p/n's - but I'm unaware of a 356 application (perhaps a 356er on here knows), nor am I sure about the end of 911/912/930 application (maybe a 911 guru on here knows).

PS - Those Steel headlight bucket drain tubes are apparently L & R, & are shown as #6 @ illustration 801-15 as p/n's 914-502-429-10 & 914-502-429-11 - steel tube for headlight bucket drain tubes.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 14 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

These are for the front trunk not headlight buckets on the 914. This is also used in the 911 headlight buckets. Hope that helps.
And they are here -
http://shop.914rubber.com/Front-Trunk-Drai...m?categoryId=-1

The purpose is to allow water to drain. The air flowing across the end creates a suction through venturi effect.

Most of these tend to disappear over time, You may still find the grommet in the trunk hole. This is what it was.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:38 AM