Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight bucket drain tube debate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
For those on FaceBook (I know icon8.gif ) On the 914World FB page a guy asked for a source of replacement drain tubes for his headlight buckets. One response was this link Rubber tube
which is a the rubber tube found in some 914 trunk floors.

Click to view attachment

My response was that they are all metal. Another guy claims his 76 has rubber tubes like the one in the above link. So........ I went out and looked at the 76 parts car I have to check, maybe I was wrong and in 76 they went with rubber confused24.gif , nope it is metal.

So why would a big parts seller list these as headlight drain tubes? 911s don't have them, correct? In the trunk floors yes, but headlights?
mepstein
I've never seen any rubber tube. All mine are just a simple and pretty large diameter steel tube. Let's debris out as well as water.
I'm pretty sure 911's use small rubber tubes but that's a completely different headlight bucket.
914Sixer
You are correct Garold. 911 headlight buckets use a rubber tube but it is sourced from the VW beetle. Maybe the later 911 used the 914 front floor plugs.
McMark
You're not crazy... (yet). happy11.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 14 2017, 05:28 AM) *

For those on FaceBook (I know icon8.gif ) On the 914World FB page a guy asked for a source of replacement drain tubes for his headlight buckets. One response was this link Rubber tube
which is a the rubber tube found in some 914 trunk floors.

Click to view attachment

My response was that they are all metal. Another guy claims his 76 has rubber tubes like the one in the above link. So........ I went out and looked at the 76 parts car I have to check, maybe I was wrong and in 76 they went with rubber confused24.gif , nope it is metal.

So why would a big parts seller list these as headlight drain tubes? 911s don't have them, correct? In the trunk floors yes, but headlights?

Garold,

Whoever made that reply is confused on the headlight bucket application. That tube - which is indeed used on the 914 front trunk floor (2) - is NOT used on the 914 headlight buckets - the 914 used the steel tubes in all MYs, as you said.

However, those tubes are originally the headlight bucket drains used in the 911s/912s in the `60's & `70's (not sure up to when stopped on 911s) - which is probably why they are still available from Porsche (or were until recently), since Porsche better supports the 911 crowd.

So that part is both a 911/912 headlight bucket drain tube + 914 front trunk floor drain tube.

I see that AASE Sales (vendor at your link) is listing it as 1959 - 89 with four 911 p/n's - but I'm unaware of a 356 application (perhaps a 356er on here knows), nor am I sure about the end of 911/912/930 application (maybe a 911 guru on here knows).

PS - Those Steel headlight bucket drain tubes are apparently L & R, & are shown as #6 @ illustration 801-15 as p/n's 914-502-429-10 & 914-502-429-11 - steel tube for headlight bucket drain tubes.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
These are for the front trunk not headlight buckets on the 914. This is also used in the 911 headlight buckets. Hope that helps.
And they are here -
http://shop.914rubber.com/Front-Trunk-Drai...m?categoryId=-1

The purpose is to allow water to drain. The air flowing across the end creates a suction through venturi effect.

Most of these tend to disappear over time, You may still find the grommet in the trunk hole. This is what it was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.