Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Right side of car lower than left after suspension replacement.
tornik550
post Aug 17 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I have been quite busy with life lately and haven't had any time to work on my car. I drove it into my barn yesterday. I recently replaced my complete front suspension with a 87 911 front suspension. I took off my rear suspension to do a 5 lug conversion. My car did have a few alignment shims in the rear when I removed the suspension however I forgot to add them back when I reinstalled the suspension. The camber visibly looks ok. Obviously need to get an alignment however it is a fairly long drive to the place that I trusT so I would like to get the car reasonably leveled out before driving it far. The car drives straight.

What adjustments would increase the ground clearance on the right front? Will adding the alignment shims to the right rear increase the ground clearance on the right rear?

I am fairly embarrassed to ask these questions. I obviously am not very adept at working on suspensions.

I guess I could drive it the way it is- everyone will think I have hydraulics!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 17 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Have you driven it yet. Shocks need some miles to settle in. If you had one side jacked up for each shock replacement, it will be off untill you drive it. Also, every time you exit the car, you will unweight the driver side and the car might look a little uneven.

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Aug 17 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #3

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Definitely be sure the suspension is settled, there is a height adjustment bolt on each side of the cross member where the a arm meets the crossmember.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 17 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #4

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Get a tape measure and make the adjustment on the front. You should be able to lie on the ground and with a socket and ratchet lower it. Then go to the front fender and push it down and let it come up several times and measure it in the same place on your fender well to the ground. Keep doing this till both sides are the same and where you want them for ride height. I do not remember what most guys have. It is the torsion bars that have to settle.

That is the way I have done it on 914s and 911s.

Bob B
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Aug 17 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #5

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Aug 17 2017, 12:32 PM) *

Definitely be sure the suspension is settled, there is a height adjustment bolt on each side of the cross member where the a arm meets the crossmember.

Adjusters are at the rear of the front torsion bars, car needs to be lifted off the ground to make adjustments, I believe it is 11mm, the adjusting screw.

Adjust, lower car, settle suspension, measure and no more than 5 mm .2" difference from side to side, factory manual states, 90 mm wheel center to center of torsion bar, but I measure the height from the adjuster to the ground.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 17 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

From Dave at the Bird: Part # 17, "adjusting screw". Screw it in to raise the car, I think. Measure, adjust, roll the car around to settle the suspension, measure. Repeat until you've got the results you want.

--DD

I have done this with the car on the ground. My arms are not that long. If you need to remove the torsion cup you have to unweight that side.

Bob B
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:28 AM