Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LS water pumpers
timothy_nd28
post Aug 18 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What is this F-log adapter? Where can you buy them or what parts are used for a work around? Thanks in advance
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 18 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 18 2017, 06:24 PM) *

What is this F-log adapter? Where can you buy them or what parts are used for a work around? Thanks in advance
Attached Image

Water pump on the cool side only? hmmmm, seems like it would last longer with less heat.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 18 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2017, 06:42 PM) *

Attached Image

Water pump on the cool side only? hmmmm, seems like it would last longer with less heat.

Thats why they say to run the water pump on the cool side. Thats what I did.

On topic it looks like the f log adapter just converts the two block outputs to a single line to run to the radiator.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 18 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 18 2017, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 18 2017, 06:42 PM) *

Thats why they say to run the water pump on the cool side. Thats what I did.

On topic it looks like the f log adapter just converts the two block outputs to a single line to run to the radiator.

Similar to this guys stuff?

http://toy-jet.com/Index119.html

I'm going to make something similar for mine.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Aug 18 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

In hindsight, I should of bought this toyjet adapter:
Attached Image

But instead, I got this overpriced Renegade Hybrids cooling kit:
Attached Image

The return is easy because the electric water pump has two inlet ports, so each pipe has a place to go. However, the supply coolant is slightly different. I guess I'll find some coolant Y pipe to merge both coolant hoses together, which raises another question all together. Shouldn't the coolant hoses be matched in size (length) so that water flow doesn't favor one circuit vs the other? The toyjet adapter solves this problem, really wish I bought that instead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Renegade also sucks for not giving you any instructions. I received a box of parts which took many hours to figure out what is what.

On a side note, does anyone happen to know what alternator to use with the Renegade Hybrid alternator relocation kit?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 19 2017, 06:20 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I used all AN fittings and hoses on my water inlet and outlets. I was able to connect the outlets with Peterson Y AN16 fitting. This allowed me to mount my engine about 2 inchs closer to the firewall than the way Renegade does it. This gives a better angle on the axles with the boxster transaxle. All fittings and hoses were bought at a Nascar race shop and were less than the list price of the Y fitting alone.

Y fitting
Attached Image
Hoses
Attached Image
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Aug 19 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thank you sir, I'll do exactly what you did
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 19 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Is that Y fitting where the arrow is point or not shown in picture. Spendy at $150 each!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
billium01
post Aug 24 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,764

Renegade is making a one piece water manifold like toyjet. I've got one, its a really nice piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3RpKx8FaPY
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 24 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 18 2017, 08:21 PM) *

In hindsight, I should of bought this toyjet adapter:
Attached Image

But instead, I got this overpriced Renegade Hybrids cooling kit:
Attached Image

The return is easy because the electric water pump has two inlet ports, so each pipe has a place to go. However, the supply coolant is slightly different. I guess I'll find some coolant Y pipe to merge both coolant hoses together, which raises another question all together. Shouldn't the coolant hoses be matched in size (length) so that water flow doesn't favor one circuit vs the other? The toyjet adapter solves this problem, really wish I bought that instead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Renegade also sucks for not giving you any instructions. I received a box of parts which took many hours to figure out what is what.

On a side note, does anyone happen to know what alternator to use with the Renegade Hybrid alternator relocation kit?

Tim - I have that new Renegade water block that's essentially like the ToyJet adaptor. I may not need it. PM me if you'd maybe be interested.
As to the alternator, I had to replace the Renegade alternator adaptor that I got with the kit with "the black one" (no part #, just the name!). I have an LS 3 so I'm not sure about anything but that engine. On the specific alternator, I needed one from 1998 - 2002 Camaro.
Hope this helps.
Chris
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Aug 24 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Hi Chris. I really appreciate the offer but I think you will need to use this adapter for your setup, only if your adapter happens to look like the toyjet.
In the picture above is a similar setup to what I have. Renegade sold me their complete cooling kit, perhaps I got the early version adapters and they later switched to the toyjet lookalike version?

The issue: trying to get my LS4 mounted as far forward as possible, while keeping the stock rear firewall untouched. When I tried this, the hose fittings on the coolant adapter hits the rear firewall. Moreover, so does the drivers side valve cover metal boss that receives a bolt from the ignition coil. But wow, when I had it mocked up this way, the CV geometry was looking awesome! Sadly, I had to flip Renegade's engine bar 180, and push the engine back and provide some clearance. With it flipped, my engine is too far back now. I'm contemplating modifying Renegade's engine bar so I can find a happy medium.

I think your LS3 is mounted pretty forward, which is good, but I think you will need to use the low profile toyjet style coolant adapter, so that it won't rub on the firewall.

Thanks for the info on the alternator. My LS4 alternator is radially mounted which won't work.
+Quote Post
andys
post Aug 24 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

What transaxle are you using?

On my LS1, I'm running the stock (LS2) water pump. I did bump the firewall out 1 1/8", though I was able to retain the stock backpad. My axles line up. See my build:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0build%20thread

Andys
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 24 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Tim - I actually have both Renegade water block set ups. And with my drive train moved forward 1.5", the ToyJet style model still clears my firewall. That said, I'm working on mods to my firewall that will let me run the water lines straight off the front of the engine.
Again, I'll have to see what I end up with as I explore that in more detail. I'll be posting pics as I get to it. Hopefully soon.

RE: your engine mount, take a look at how I modified mine by aligning the boss with the cross bar. But I also have the whole custom lower firewall so I can't speak to if that would work with an unmodified chassis...

Ain't it all just the funnest?!?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 24 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

The LS1 corvette damper is .75 " shorter than the 4th gen F Body and the Truck one is about 2"longer. The new LS3 crate engines are the same spacing as the Truck damper.
I used a corvette damper and got a SFI approved one.
I think if I was doing it again I would go the way Andy did his and use the stock water pump.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Aug 24 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

The LS4 has the shortest length of all the LS's. I was trying to be slick by installing this LS4 as it is (fully dressed)

Attached Image

Look at the entry/exit coolant hose location, it would of been perfect! However, it's been nothing but a fight. I was left with 2 options, undressing the engine to bare block and using Renegade's cooling solution or modify the firewall to accept the LS4 as it is, but faced with a near future consequence of figuring out a custom interior. So, I waved the white flag in defeat and ordered Renegade's cooling kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/owned.gif)

I'll go through your guys build threads, love learning what other people have done. The LS4 sounded good in theory, Renegade Hybrids gave me a tongue lashing to not use it and not to use my wrong year boxster S 6 speed transmission (too new), So I was and currently am out to prove them wrong.

My son will be driving in a few years. It was my thought to have a secret switch hidden somewhere that would utilize a feature on the LS4 by turning off 4 of the 8 cylinders (DOD).

Chris, I think I will modify the engine bar by putting some DOM pipe right thru the rectangle cross bar tubing, pretty sure that would split the difference. Renegade gave me some plates that have oblong holes, which should give me some fine adjustment. Also, the engine bar from Renegade has some diagonal support bars, which is kinda in the way of my future air conditioner compressor. Even the smaller Saden compressor is too deep, and will interfere with that diagonal support bar.

I'll call you later tonight about your quad gauge. FWIW, I'm doing a getty dash just because I'll need data points from all 5 gauges.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:00 PM