Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 27 28 29  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tony's Subaru Conversion Thread
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 22 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #561

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Since I re-did the cooling system I ended up capping off the top nipple. Otherwise it wouldn't hold pressure...

-Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
martin914
post Sep 9 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #562

martin914

Member No.: 4,987

hi tony i have been reading your thread with a lot of interest i want to do a suby conversion on my 73 2.0 liter i already have the engine a 2.5 from a low miles 04 imprezza i would like to know how your car drive can you drive it evererday more like a modern car . iam concern you mention that next time you would go with the motor and the transmission do you have driveability problem with the stock trans also i was a bit disapointed with the fact that you moved the rad in the front maybe i wont have the temperature problem here in canada the wheater is colder a lot of vanagon run suby engine with the rad on the back bumper without problem. keep on the good work and the post comming
+Quote Post
Brando
post Sep 9 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #563

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Only problem I can see with hood vents on the top is you lose front trunk space. I don't know about you guys, but I like having some front trunk space. I guess there's always the option of fabbing up something that blows out the sides of the hood behind the headlights... At least then you can keep some front trunk space.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Sep 9 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #564

That's my ride.

I drive my 914 every day. In the full year that I have had the conversin done, only recently did I have a problem. When I did the engine installation I had neglected to replace a missing connector housing for the crankshaft position sensor. Eventually the sockets loosened up and I had ignitino problems. Since I replaced the housing it has run perfectly. So yes, this car is super reliable, much more so than with the stock (albeit unmaintained) engine.

Keeping the radiator in the engine bay is possible, and others have done it. Maybe I just needed a better radiator, or some minor tweaks.

The onyl reason I would go with a Subaru transmission is that the gearing is probably a little better, and its a heck of a lot cheaper to replace/rebuild than a 901 transmission.

Tony
+Quote Post
Brando
post Sep 9 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #565

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

On the reliability note... If you follow proper maintenance on a Type 4 and don't flog it like a red-headed stepchild, it will last quite a while.

Now, if you want reliability, go-fast fun and to shave a few pounds... Subie or Turbo-Subie is one of the best ways to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
martin914
post Sep 14 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #566

martin914

Member No.: 4,987

QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 9 2007, 12:20 PM) *

On the reliability note... If you follow proper maintenance on a Type 4 and don't flog it like a red-headed stepchild, it will last quite a while.

Now, if you want reliability, go-fast fun and to shave a few pounds... Subie or Turbo-Subie is one of the best ways to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

hi guys thanks for the reply tony you convince me i start collecting parts for the conversion i will keep you post on the progress martin
+Quote Post
silver arrow
post Feb 28 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #567

Member No.: 8,760

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 1 2007, 12:30 AM) *

I did a break down of my costs HERE!!!

NA is Naturally Asperated or non-turbo in the sooby world. As far as time, i could do another one in 2 weeks pretty easy. This one took just under 6weeks. Mostly relaxing evenings.

BJH

If using renegades kit, how much additional fabrication did it take? Did you use the Suby trans and how did you solve the axle/cv problem?

I'm interested in using the stock ECU, a cat, an a 2.5l WRX motor with uses the DBW throttle vice a throttle cable. Do you see problems with that?
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jul 17 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #568

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=40733

see above

jim

--

QUOTE(silver arrow @ Feb 28 2008, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 1 2007, 12:30 AM) *

I did a break down of my costs HERE!!!

NA is Naturally Asperated or non-turbo in the sooby world. As far as time, i could do another one in 2 weeks pretty easy. This one took just under 6weeks. Mostly relaxing evenings.

BJH

If using renegades kit, how much additional fabrication did it take? Did you use the Suby trans and how did you solve the axle/cv problem?

I'm interested in using the stock ECU, a cat, an a 2.5l WRX motor with uses the DBW throttle vice a throttle cable. Do you see problems with that?

+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Jul 17 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #569

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jun 11 2007, 03:12 PM) *

It looks like everyone is routing the air out of the fender wells. Is there a reason not to vent it out of the bottom of the trunk, under the car?

It would seem to me that dumping that air to the fender wells would have the added benefit of cooling the front brakes.

I realize the air coming out of the radiator is warmer than the ambient air, but is it cool enough to cool brakes?
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 28 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #570

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Sep 9 2007, 01:14 PM) *

I drive my 914 every day. In the full year that I have had the conversin done, only recently did I have a problem. When I did the engine installation I had neglected to replace a missing connector housing for the crankshaft position sensor. Eventually the sockets loosened up and I had ignitino problems. Since I replaced the housing it has run perfectly. So yes, this car is super reliable, much more so than with the stock (albeit unmaintained) engine.

Keeping the radiator in the engine bay is possible, and others have done it. Maybe I just needed a better radiator, or some minor tweaks.

The onyl reason I would go with a Subaru transmission is that the gearing is probably a little better, and its a heck of a lot cheaper to replace/rebuild than a 901 transmission.

Tony

Tony,

Wat sup? did those lenses get finished? No hurry, they are sooo down on my list... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Dec 17 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #571

That's my ride.

Well, there is some news to report. I think my starter motor finally gave up the ghost today. I had been using a normal old 914 starter for my motor and it has always had a hard time starting. The EJ25 has a 10:1 compression ratio to it takes a fair amount of torque to turn it over compared to the stock 1.7 motor. SO this weekend it looks like I'll be underneath the car for the first time in quite a while. I'm probably going to put in a high torque geared starter this time.

-Tony
+Quote Post
914helo
post Dec 17 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #572

Member No.: 2,859

Tony, my EG33 engine conversion, out of an SVX, is also 10:1 compression and I've found the high-torque starters to be necessarry. The $115 Evilbay ones work fine, just don't last very long. I had to shim my Evilbay ones, but some have reported they haven't needed to. Quality control? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Apr 3 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #573

That's my ride.

I finally got exhaust pipes installed! Until now, exhaust had been exiting underneath the trunk. Now it exits near the license plate. I haven't seen an exhaut like this on a 914. It almost remind me of the exhaust on a VW bug!

-Tony

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
westgl
post Apr 5 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #574

Member No.: 9,756

NICE!

I think it's great that you have followed this through from begining to end (never finished)

I looked acouple of times through the posts, I have not seen a current sound bite (U tube) to hear the exhaust with mufflers. What kind of mufflers did you go with.

a sound bite of inside the car driving around, top on and off would be great.

I have accumulated all parts during winter and I am now ready to do my 04' 2.5L Subi swap into a 74' 914 with side shifter trans.

Thanks

Westgl
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Apr 5 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #575

That's my ride.

I will definitely do some videos shortly! The mufflers are whatever generic thing the muffler shop had, probably some kind of flowmaster or equivalent.

Good luck with your conversion!
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Feb 18 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #576

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Member No.: 5,674

Hey Tony!!! I just got my car started last weekend!

Anyways, I just wanted to see how your car was doing, and if you had changed anything or had any problems. Also thought I would bump your thread up to the top in case there is anyone who hasn't read your insanely in-depth project thread. Let us know how she is running.

-Peter
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Feb 18 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #577

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Dec 17 2008, 09:35 AM) *

Well, there is some news to report. I think my starter motor finally gave up the ghost today. I had been using a normal old 914 starter for my motor and it has always had a hard time starting. The EJ25 has a 10:1 compression ratio to it takes a fair amount of torque to turn it over compared to the stock 1.7 motor. SO this weekend it looks like I'll be underneath the car for the first time in quite a while. I'm probably going to put in a high torque geared starter this time.

-Tony

Tony,

What did you end up using for the starter? You left us hanging. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hope it's running well.

-- brett
+Quote Post
hwyix
post Feb 14 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #578

Member No.: 21,891
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Apr 5 2009, 08:38 PM) *

I will definitely do some videos shortly! The mufflers are whatever generic thing the muffler shop had, probably some kind of flowmaster or equivalent.

have some videos you would like to share?

car looks great.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 14 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #579

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(hwyix @ Feb 14 2018, 04:03 PM) *

car looks great.

You did notice the last previous post was 8 years ago right?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 15 2018, 04:15 AM
Post #580

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 14 2018, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(hwyix @ Feb 14 2018, 04:03 PM) *

car looks great.

You did notice the last previous post was 8 years ago right?

Wasn't this covered in a Sandbox thread?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 27 28 29
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:35 AM