Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Which GT is better?
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,388
Region Association: None

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to 914's and looking to start a GT project at some point. Right now, I want to learn as much as I can before I go down the path.

Over the past few days, I've seen the following two 914-6 GT Tribute cars for sale. They both seem to be equally great cars, and I'm trying to figure out which is the "better" car....

1975 914-6 GT Tribute

1970 914-6 GT Tribute

Based on my limited experience, the fact that the blue car's chassis is an original 914-6 and it has a 3.0 liter engine makes it more desirable. Also, the color...Mexico Blue is one of my favorites.

I know many aspects of what makes a car "better" is subjective, but I just wanted to start a discussion and get different perspectives from those who are more experienced so I can fill in my knowledge gaps.

Looking forward to hearing different viewpoints...thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Cracker
post Sep 3 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I do not think you can go wrong either way...the 2.0 in the white car would be quite a bit off the 3.0 cars performance. Enjoy whatever you end up with...

Tony
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 3 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A factory Six adds 26000, I just sold one needing complete restoration , non running, for that number.. In one day

too bad the Blue car doesnt have a front oil cooler..
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 12:13 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2017, 10:34 AM) *

I do not think you can go wrong either way...the 2.0 in the white car would be quite a bit off the 3.0 cars performance. Enjoy whatever you end up with...

Tony

Tony, exactly what I was thinking. The 2.0 in the white car is an original 914-6 engine. Does that add any appeal, or is it all about the performance?

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 3 2017, 10:40 AM) *

A factory Six adds 26000, I just sold one needing complete restoration , non running, for that number.. In one day

too bad the Blue car doesnt have a front oil cooler..

Wow, $26k, that's an amazing figure! Was it matching numbers or chassis only?

Blue car definitely needs a front oil cooler.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 3 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Are you making an investment or do you want a car to drive? If it's for the driving pleasure, do you want old school (carbs) or more of a retro mod? Do you want to spend time making improvements? Makes a big difference in what's right for you
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 3 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Much as I like the white car—and that's a lot....

A "GT" on a real 914-6 chassis > a "GT" on a 1975 914-4.

The white car looks to be very well done, but so does the blue car. Front spoiler aside, I like the presentation and details of the white car better. But, put the blue car on similar 15-inch wheels, paint the gauge surrounds back to black, consider some more aggressive seats, etc. and it would be very bit as visually appealing as the white car—with a stronger engine and its own advantages. And that Parade Prep award suggests the car stands up to some pretty serious scrutiny. The pic with Wolfgang ain't bad, either. Doesn't necessarily "do it" for me, but it's another piece of the car's story.

If the gap between these is, say, $25k, the blue car is a very, very good buy. It is one of very few sixes by comparison to all the fours, and always will be.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 3 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Did I miss something or is it strange that a real six would have side vents on the dash.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 3 2017, 01:13 PM
Post #8

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

First off, the 75 car will never be a real 6 vin number. In real estate location is the most important thing, in 914s they are not making any more 6s and with 4s there are a lot of them. As an investment the real 6 is the better bet right off.

The quality of the build is hard to really see on just a few photos but the real 6 won 914-6 Gt Tribute Winner Porsche National Concourse so it must be decent. I think that car is a deal. Now you would spend the $50,000 to build a 4 to a tribute car but I think the gap of money will widen over the next 10 years between a real 6 or not. But that is just my guess. If you are going to steep up with the cash you better take your best guess. Olympic Blue is not a color that the car came with in 1970. People will tell you to paint the car the same color as it came from production in. Not sure if you will take a ding in that later but if you dive the car and enjoy it not sure it will matter. Also just because the 75 car has a 6 engine it is not worth as much as a 3.0 in a non-6 car. This will be the case I believe from now on.

Sixnotfour is right Blue car definitely needs a front oil cooler.
You need to get all the info on that blue car and we may have not seen it. Post it here so we can look at it.

Bob B

+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Thanks everyone for your input, please keep it coming!

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 3 2017, 11:31 AM) *

Are you making an investment or do you want a car to drive? If it's for the driving pleasure, do you want old school (carbs) or more of a retro mod? Do you want to spend time making improvements? Makes a big difference in what's right for you

I've been down the garage queen road, and it's not for me. The cool factor of owning a pristine, low mileage wore off pretty quickly. I hated the paranoid feeling of de-valuing the car every time I drove it...putting on miles, getting into an accident, etc,...

Without a doubt, I want a car to drive! I know it's a higher price point, but coming from later air cooled 911's, I'd prefer a 3.2...but I also appreciate the old school visceral experience of carbs.

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2017, 11:33 AM) *

Much as I like the white car—and that's a lot....

A "GT" on a real 914-6 chassis > a "GT" on a 1975 914-4.

The white car looks to be very well done, but so does the blue car. Front spoiler aside, I like the presentation and details of the white car better. But, put the blue car on similar 15-inch wheels, paint the gauge surrounds back to black, consider some more aggressive seats, etc. and it would be very bit as visually appealing as the white car—with a stronger engine and its own advantages. And that Parade Prep award suggests the car stands up to some pretty serious scrutiny. The pic with Wolfgang ain't bad, either. Doesn't necessarily "do it" for me, but it's another piece of the car's story.

If the gap between these is, say, $25k, the blue car is a very, very good buy. It is one of very few sixes by comparison to all the fours, and always will be.

Thanks for your thoughts...every point you make is in line with my thought process.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2017, 11:45 AM) *

Did I miss something or is it strange that a real six would have side vents on the dash.

I don't have enough knowledge to know. Does anyone know the answer to this?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 3 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I see the white car landing on a number north of $55K before the auction ends. It is a conversion and in the end, the real six will always be worth more. Both are very well done. The white car could use a GT front valence. If you are truly in the market, reach a little deeper and get the six. With probably less than 2000 of them left, I think the value still has some growing room.
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 3 2017, 12:13 PM) *

First off, the 75 car will never be a real 6 vin number. In real estate location is the most important thing, in 914s they are not making any more 6s and with 4s there are a lot of them. As an investment the real 6 is the better bet right off.

The quality of the build is hard to really see on just a few photos but the real 6 won 914-6 Gt Tribute Winner Porsche National Concourse so it must be decent. I think that car is a deal. Now you would spend the $50,000 to build a 4 to a tribute car but I think the gap of money will widen over the next 10 years between a real 6 or not. But that is just my guess. If you are going to steep up with the cash you better take your best guess. Olympic Blue is not a color that the car came with in 1970. People will tell you to paint the car the same color as it came from production in. Not sure if you will take a ding in that later but if you dive the car and enjoy it not sure it will matter. Also just because the 75 car has a 6 engine it is not worth as much as a 3.0 in a non-6 car. This will be the case I believe from now on.

Sixnotfour is right Blue car definitely needs a front oil cooler.
You need to get all the info on that blue car and we may have not seen it. Post it here so we can look at it.

Bob B

Makes complete sense. I agree on all points. Here's more info on the blue car...

FOR SALE:1970 914-6 GT #9140432390

Acquired 2006 and underwent a 2 ½ year full restoration and conversion to GT specifications. Mileage: 6,150 since completion in Oct. 2008 GT alterations: Front oil cooler , Boxed trailing arms, chassis stiffening plates installed, metal factory wheel flares, flared valances and rocker panels, light weight front and rear bumpers and valances, GT engine cover. The original steel front and rear decklids were retained as well as the removable top and headlamp motors.

Acquired 2006 and underwent a 2 ½ year full restoration and conversion to GT specifications. Mileage: 6,150 since completion in Oct. 2008
GT alterations:
Front oil cooler , Boxed trailing arms, chassis stiffening plates installed, metal factory wheel flares, flared valances and rocker panels, light weight front and rear bumpers and valances, GT engine cover. The original steel front and rear decklids were retained as well as the removable top and headlamp motors.

Features: -3.0 liter 1978 SC engine converted to triple weber carburation, recurved distributor, ported manifolds and heads, top-end rebuild and reseal by Werkstat Porsche Service, stainless steel headers with heat exchangers, new clutch, turbo valve covers, hydraulic chain tensioners. Dyno’d at 210 hp, 216 torque

-914 side shifter transmission, rebuilt German Transaxle of America
-Fuchs Wheels – 7x16 front, 9x16 rear
-Ventilated, drilled brake rotors with aluminum ͞S͟ calipers front, ͞M͟ 911 calipers rear. Hand brake currently not installed, but parts included.
-89 Carrera front suspension and steering -Bilstein struts and shocks with 140# rear springs
-GTS vintage racing seats in black leather with paint-matching plaid inserts, 5 point Schroth harnesses.
-Black full leather RS-style interior
-Mexico Blue single stage enamel paint (Porsche code 336)
-Black out trim and mirrors

HISTORY: Early history is unknown. This original ͞6͟ had been dismantled and the bare metal chassis and boxes of parts were purchased on a Bill of Sale in California in 2006 and shipped to my home in Oregon. Following the 2 ½ year restoration to a street-able 914-6 GT tribute since a previous title could not be located by the Oregon or California DMV, it was issued an Oregon ͞Reconstructed͟ Title and vintage 1970 license plate with a ͞Special Interest͟ tag.

The car has been shown in many local and regional car shows. It also participated in approximately 10 PCA Drivers Education events and Track Days. It has been only used for touring the past 2 years. The car was entered in the PCA Parade Concours d’Elegance in Spokane in July, 2017. The car was in the ͞Preparation͟group, ͞Full͟ class (PP02F). Approximately 300 hours were put into cleaning, restoring, and freshening the car prior to the Parade.

This stunning car won the Blue Ribbon for Best in Class, receiving 294 out of 300 possible points. It was then re-judged by a second panel of 6 judges against all the other Blue Ribbon ͞Full Preparation͟ cars and was selected ͞Best of the Best͟, winning the 1st Place award in the Preparation category.The only 914-6 to ever win this award! Dr. Wolfgang Porsche, Chairman Porsche AG, offered his congratulations with a photo at the Concours Awards Banquet where the car was displayed.

The sale includes many boxes of original and spare parts that can be utilized if desired. Inventory available.

Also available is an original 914-6 engine (not the engine number that originally came with the car per the COA), incomplete, disassembled. Inquire.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 3 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A real six will always be worth more simply becuase of vin.. I like the white one allot but if I were in similar situation to you I would be buying a real 6.
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 3 2017, 12:49 PM) *

I see the white car landing on a number north of $55K before the auction ends. It is a conversion and in the end, the real six will always be worth more. Both are very well done. The white car could use a GT front valence. If you are truly in the market, reach a little deeper and get the six. With probably less than 2000 of them left, I think the value still has some growing room.

Appreciate your input...seems to be the consensus here. I am definitely in the market, but, oh man, that reach for a six is a big one! I do definitely see the value in it though.
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 3 2017, 01:04 PM) *

A real six will always be worth more simply becuase of vin.. I like the white one allot but if I were in similar situation to you I would be buying a real 6.

Thank you! It looks like that's the road I want to take.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 3 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Which state are you in? I could be incorrect but the '75 might give you some issues with registration/smog...anyone?

T
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 3 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #16

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2017, 05:36 PM) *

Which state are you in? I could be incorrect but the '75 might give you some issues with registration/smog...anyone?

T

Not in LA. Smog tests start in '76...
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 3 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Yeah, but what do you know about smog testing??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 3 2017, 04:42 PM) *

T

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 3 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #18

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2017, 05:52 PM) *

Yeah, but what do you know about smog testing??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 3 2017, 04:42 PM) *

T

Haha! Almost nothing. My smog tech handles that. I make the bank deposits, pay the bills and put the rest in my SEP IRA...
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 3 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

I have a real six - narrow body with a 2.4 hot rod motor. It is a very solid car in good driver condition (mechanically nearly perfect) everything works. It runs and drives very nicely. Cosmetically it is a 10 footer. I drive it routinely mostly because I love and appreciate the classic characteristics of the experience that put Porsche on the map - visceral carbed motor attached to a drivers chassis. I am comfortable doing that partly because it is not a collector level car.

If I were to build or buy a GT clone for driving, I would start with a four. As evidenced by the BAT car, the economics are starting to make some sense and when you are done, you can drive it without fear of devaluing a dwindling asset.

If you are a collector or want to play in that arena, then start with or buy a six based car. I would have some trepidation about turning a narrow body car to an M471, but that is a personal conundrum. If I was buying one already done wide body, then no hesitation.

Obviously it is a very personal matter that is influenced by your personal values, intended use and finances. Either way you better be doing it for some intrinsic appreciation of these cars that will make it worthwhile for you
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 3 2017, 01:57 PM) *

I have a real six - narrow body with a 2.4 hot rod motor. It is a very solid car in good driver condition (mechanically nearly perfect) everything works. It runs and drives very nicely. Cosmetically it is a 10 footer. I drive it routinely mostly because I love and appreciate the classic characteristics of the experience that put Porsche on the map - visceral carbed motor attached to a drivers chassis. I am comfortable doing that partly because it is not a collector level car.

If I were to build or buy a GT clone for driving, I would start with a four. As evidenced by the BAT car, the economics are starting to make some sense and when you are done, you can drive it without fear of devaluing a dwindling asset.

If you are a collector or want to play in that arena, then start with or buy a six based car. I would have some trepidation about turning a narrow body car to an M471, but that is a personal conundrum. If I was buying one already done wide body, then no hesitation.

Obviously it is a very personal matter that is influenced by your personal values, intended use and finances. Either way you better be doing it for some intrinsic appreciation of these cars that will make it worthwhile for you

Very well stated. I'm with you...I couldn't cut up a 6 and turn it into a wide body, but I could definitely buy one that's already been done...given a car and price that works for me.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:51 PM