Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which GT is better?
burton73
post Sep 3 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #21

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

They say:---- “Ventilated, drilled brake rotors with aluminum ͞S͟ calipers front, ͞M͟ 911 calipers rear. Hand brake currently not installed, but parts included.”----

This I do not 100% get. The real deal would have been to use the early aluminum S brakes up front like they did back then. In the back you should have the 914-6 Calipers with the spacers and ventilated set up like I have in my 6. At a minimum you should have e brakes from an early 911. I have that for my V8 car. You need E Brakes in the back.

Maybe I have this wrong and someone with respond to it but you want to get the e brakes to work.

Also the paperwork on the Car.

------“Following the 2 ½ year restoration to a street-able 914-6 GT tribute since a previous title could not be located by the Oregon or California DMV, it was issued an Oregon ͞Reconstructed͟ Title and vintage 1970 license plate with a ͞Special Interest͟ tag.”-------

Not sure I understand this. Odd registration may make it harder to sell at a later date. I always look to how I will sell something when I buy it. What will you get from California?

Can you get a clear Pink Slip here in CA. With land you do a title search and there is insurance to cover any legal on the property as far as clear title goes. This may be an issue on big buck cars in the further. I have heard stories on people having to give cars back to an old owner because a car was stolen. Not saying this is the case, just bringing up a point of clear title on classic cars. There is a value on a very clear title with a Pink.

Points on cars in general.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 3 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't see a vent in the center of the top of the dash. Add in the title issues and something is starting to sound suspicious.
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 21,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 3 2017, 02:34 PM) *

They say:---- “Ventilated, drilled brake rotors with aluminum ͞S͟ calipers front, ͞M͟ 911 calipers rear. Hand brake currently not installed, but parts included.”----

This I do not 100% get. The real deal would have been to use the early aluminum S brakes up front like they did back then. In the back you should have the 914-6 Calipers with the spacers and ventilated set up like I have in my 6. At a minimum you should have e brakes from an early 911. I have that for my V8 car. You need E Brakes in the back.

Maybe I have this wrong and someone with respond to it but you want to get the e brakes to work.

Also the paperwork on the Car.

------“Following the 2 ½ year restoration to a street-able 914-6 GT tribute since a previous title could not be located by the Oregon or California DMV, it was issued an Oregon ͞Reconstructed͟ Title and vintage 1970 license plate with a ͞Special Interest͟ tag.”-------

Not sure I understand this. Odd registration may make it harder to sell at a later date. I always look to how I will sell something when I buy it. What will you get from California?

Can you get a clear Pink Slip here in CA. With land you do a title search and there is insurance to cover any legal on the property as far as clear title goes. This may be an issue on big buck cars in the further. I have heard stories on people having to give cars back to an old owner because a car was stolen. Not saying this is the case, just bringing up a point of clear title on classic cars. There is a value on a very clear title with a Pink.

Points on cars in general.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The odd registration does make me hesitate. The Oregon Reconstructed Title is equivalent to a salvage title. This might give me enough pause to make me walk away. Does anyone else agree?

Also, why would the e-brakes not be installed?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 3 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I own a real 6 since 1983. All stock except for easily changed parts.
I'm in the middle of doing a light ivory 3.0 conversion GT on a '75 chassis.
A conversion is where the fun is for the future.
I can pervert it any way I want with no consequences.
As for the real car, I loved it when it wasn't worth much.
I love it even more today and it has nothing to do with the cash.
You'll have more fun for less money and less stress in the conversion.
Plus...the real 6 for sale here will never be full value because it does not include
its original engine.

+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2017, 02:41 PM) *

I don't see a vent in the center of the top of the dash. Add in the title issues and something is starting to sound suspicious.

I'm not sure what you mean about the vent b/c of my knowledge level...assuming it's something inherent to 6's? The title issue is surely a red flag.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 3 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 3 2017, 12:23 PM) *

Without a doubt, I want a car to drive!

The conversion car will be easier to drive without as much worry. The structure should be a little stronger (crash beams in the doors, etc.) and you don't have to worry about taking a rare car out of circulation if someone who isn't paying attention runs into it.

--DD
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 3 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #27

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 3 2017, 07:00 PM) *

I'm not sure what you mean about the vent b/c of my knowledge level...assuming it's something inherent to 6's? The title issue is surely a red flag.

Early vs late thing. All sixes were early, with the last being '72 models...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 3 2017, 03:04 PM) *

The conversion car will be easier to drive without as much worry. The structure should be a little stronger (crash beams in the doors, etc.) and you don't have to worry about taking a rare car out of circulation if someone who isn't paying attention runs into it.

--DD

There is something to be said about driving a car around with no worries!
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 3 2017, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks for the info! Does this mean it's not a 6 after all?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 3 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 3 2017, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 3 2017, 03:04 PM) *

--DD

There is something to be said about driving a car around with no worries!
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 3 2017, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks for the info! Does this mean it's not a 6 after all?

It means there is more to the story. Not sure what it is just yet. But a late dash in an early car is strange. Especially in a 6.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 3 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2017, 03:42 PM) *

It means there is more to the story. Not sure what it is just yet. But a late dash in an early car is strange. Especially in a 6.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Reconstructed title plus late dash in an early chassis = more scrutiny is required.

Could be just fine, or it could be multiple 914s turned into one. The car does seems like a bit of a deal in light of some other recent 914-6 sales in the $100,000 range—though it is a hot rod and therefore in its own space.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Sep 3 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here....I'll piss on the ant pile. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

In my mind, neither of these cars is a 914-6 GT replica, clone, tribute or what ever you want to call it.

To me, they are more like 914 hotrods....R Gruppe cars if you will.

914-6 GT were all race cars.
So they came with roll cages, lightweight bonnets, stripped out interiors, race suspensions, etc, etc.
I think a 2.0 or 2.5 engine making over 200hp was normal on these.

Couple of pics for examples:

Attached Image

Attached Image

So just slapping on a set of "GT" flares doesn't really make the car a GT replica/tribute.
A stock 2 liter engine making 110hp? doesn't seem too GT-ish to me?
The 3 liter certainly makes more power, but again isn't part of the GT formula.

I think that if you like the looks and feel of these two cars, what you're after is a nice 914-6 hotrod/R Gruppe style car.

So there's my take.
Are these two cars GT replica/clone/tribute cars?....not even close in my mind.
Real GT cars have so many interesting and unique details that are specialized for their particular purpose.

Now don't get me wrong, they are both nice and well thought out cars.
The white one needs some more beans (HP), ditch the megaphones and ugly front spoiler, and it would be a fun hotrod 914-6.
The blue car only needs to lose the blue dash and a couple other minor details to be a very nice R Gruppe style 914-6.

With the prices of real 914-6's skyrocketing, I would be cautious in doing anything that wasn't factory stock to an authentic 914-6.
With most 914-4's, you really don't have to worry about their appreciation potential as much, so the sky's the limit in mods.

PS.... 1972 914-6's had the ignition switch on the steering column as far as I know. That's one really makes that year unique.
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 3 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2017, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2017, 04:13 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Reconstructed title plus late dash in an early chassis = more scrutiny is required.

Could be just fine, or it could be multiple 914s turned into one. The car does seems like a bit of a deal in light of some other recent 914-6 sales in the $100,000 range—though it is a hot rod and therefore in its own space.

Thank you guys!

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 3 2017, 04:30 PM) *

In my mind, neither of these cars is a 914-6 GT replica, clone, tribute or what ever you want to call it.

To me, they are more like 914 hotrods....R Gruppe cars if you will.

914-6 GT were all race cars.
So they came with roll cages, lightweight bonnets, stripped out interiors, race suspensions, etc, etc.
I think a 2.0 or 2.5 engine making over 200hp was normal on these.

So just slapping on a set of "GT" flares doesn't really make the car a GT replica/tribute.
A stock 2 liter engine making 110hp? doesn't seem too GT-ish to me?
The 3 liter certainly makes more power, but again isn't part of the GT formula.

I think that if you like the looks and feel of these two cars, what you're after is a nice 914-6 hotrod/R Gruppe style car.

So there's my take.
Are these two cars GT replica/clone/tribute cars?....not even close in my mind.
Real GT cars have so many interesting and unique details that are specialized for their particular purpose.

Now don't get me wrong, they are both nice and well thought out cars.
The white one needs some more beans (HP), ditch the megaphones and ugly front spoiler, and it would be a fun hotrod 914-6.
The blue car only needs to lose the blue dash and a couple other minor details to be a very nice R Gruppe style 914-6.

With the prices of real 914-6's skyrocketing, I would be cautious in doing anything that wasn't factory stock to an authentic 914-6.
With most 914-4's, you really don't have to worry about their appreciation potential as much, so the sky's the limit in mods.

PS.... 1972 914-6's had the ignition switch on the steering column as far as I know. That's one really makes that year unique.

Thanks for the info...it's really important to understand the terminology and the differences between each.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 3 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #33

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Very well put.

Bob B

914-6 Number 41. A true VW HotRod
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 3 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #34

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 3 2017, 08:30 PM) *

That is true. And a stark visual difference. But for me, the 1972 - 6 is most unique due to the fact that out of 3318 914-6 cars, only 229 were made for 1972. Rarist of the rare...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 3 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

The early four's also had the vent, I believe, so it has nothing to do relative to being a six or not...I am not a purist or original freak so I might be fuzzy on detail.

T

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 3 2017, 06:00 PM) *

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 3 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #36

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2017, 08:42 PM) *

The early four's also had the vent, I believe, so it has nothing to do relative to being a six or not...I am not a purist or original freak so I might be fuzzy on detail.

T

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 3 2017, 06:00 PM) *

Right. I'm saying that there seems to be something off about this car. It has a late dash & sub dash on a 6. That's not something most people do to their 6, especially a "GT tribute", It was either reworked or it's a late chassis (73-76) with a 6 vin.
God knows it wouldn't be the first time.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 3 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I hear you Mark but the OP kept asking about that detail referencing an early Six...like it was ONLY a Six feature.

T
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 3 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #38

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2017, 09:16 PM) *

I hear you Mark but the OP kept asking about that detail referencing an early Six...like it was ONLY a Six feature.

T

My mistake.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Sep 3 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In fact, instead of calling these two cars GT clone, replica or tribute.
I would call them 914-6 M471 clone, replica or tribute.

They are much closer to the M471 option than a true GT racer.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Sep 3 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I agree that M471 is the closest to accurate for most street flared 914/6 conversions but this term really means nothing to most of the general public and Porsche people.
People seem to understand the GT term a bit better even if it's not as accurate.

I refer to my car as both depending on who I am speaking with.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:14 PM