Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which GT is better?
Mercurial
post Sep 4 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,388
Region Association: None

All,

I just want to thank everyone again for the comments, opinions, and information. I learned so much just from yesterday alone. This is a great place, and I'm looking forward to finding the right car for me and joining the fold!

Instead of creating a new thread, but still staying on topic, can I get your opinions on this car? Seems to be a good driver. The owner is a forum member.

1970 914-6 For Sale

Thanks again!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 4 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #42

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 4 2017, 11:39 AM) *

All,

I just want to thank everyone again for the comments, opinions, and information. I learned so much just from yesterday alone. This is a great place, and I'm looking forward to finding the right car for me and joining the fold!

Instead of creating a new thread, but still staying on topic, can I get your opinions on this car? Seems to be a good driver. The owner is a forum member.

1970 914-6 For Sale

Thanks again!

I don't like the flares but that would be a decent price even if the car had started out as a 4. He has a lot into that car. Add GT flares and you are good to go.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 4 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #43

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 4 2017, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 4 2017, 11:39 AM) *

All,

1970 914-6 For Sale

Thanks again!

I don't like the flares but that would be a decent price even if the car had started out as a 4. He has a lot into that car. Add GT flares and you are good to go.

Thanks mepstein! Not a big fan of the flares either. Wonder why it hasn't sold? At least it hasn't been posted as sold.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Sep 4 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 12,741

I see you want a car to drive and not a garage queen, but have you ever driven any 914's? Long thread, perhaps I missed it.

If so, what engines, narrow and wide bodies? Since you are coming from the late air-cooled 911 community and looking for something more visceral, in my opinion a nicely done 2056 or 2258 with suspension upgrades makes for a wonderful driving experience.

If you haven't thought about this aspect, you might want to check out this article:

http://fatperformance.com/home/?p=681

But if you are set on a wide-body 6, go for a 4 conversion for less money than a modified original 6, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 4 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 3 2017, 06:30 PM) *

In my mind, neither of these cars is a 914-6 GT replica, clone, tribute or what ever you want to call it.

I concur and am tired of seeing every car with flares called a GT.
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 4 2017, 11:18 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Did I miss something or is it strange that a real six would have side vents on the dash.

I looked at the restoration pix and the chassis is an early one. I am guessing that the side vents connect to nothing???
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 4 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #47

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(gms @ Sep 4 2017, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 3 2017, 06:30 PM) *

In my mind, neither of these cars is a 914-6 GT replica, clone, tribute or what ever you want to call it.

I concur and am tired of seeing every car with flares called a GT.

I think that ship has already sailed. Only a few people know what an M471 car is. Just like a 491 Carrera, Turbo look is how most people know them.

If I mentioned to my wife that I wanted a 471 car, she might guess BMW. It would then involve a long conversation, her eyes would glaze over and the dog would start farting.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 4 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #48

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(gms @ Sep 4 2017, 01:18 PM) *

Did I miss something or is it strange that a real six would have side vents on the dash.

I looked at the restoration pix and the chassis is an early one. I am guessing that the side vents connect to nothing???
Attached Image

Well then it's settled. Its just strange to use a later sub dash in a 6.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Sep 4 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The car also has the later window mechanisms in the doors as well.
Plus movable passenger seat.
On, and on, and on.
So many later 914 items on this real 914-6.
Makes you wonder how many other non original 914-6 things are on this car???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 4 2017, 10:28 AM) *

Attached Image

Well then it's settled. Its just strange to use a later sub dash in a 6.

+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 4 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(somd914 @ Sep 4 2017, 09:44 AM) *

I see you want a car to drive and not a garage queen, but have you ever driven any 914's? Long thread, perhaps I missed it.

If so, what engines, narrow and wide bodies? Since you are coming from the late air-cooled 911 community and looking for something more visceral, in my opinion a nicely done 2056 or 2258 with suspension upgrades makes for a wonderful driving experience.

If you haven't thought about this aspect, you might want to check out this article:

http://fatperformance.com/home/?p=681

But if you are set on a wide-body 6, go for a 4 conversion for less money than a modified original 6, in my opinion.

Thanks for you input and the link! Yes, I've driven a few 914's, the latest being this one that's for sale in my area...

1973 914-6 Hot Rod

Really good car, very visceral, but there were some things that didn't quite do it for me. Ideally, I'd like bigger displacement (3.2), but I'm open to other options.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 4 2017, 10:25 AM) *

If I mentioned to my wife that I wanted a 471 car, she might guess BMW. It would then involve a long conversation, her eyes would glaze over and the dog would start farting.

LMAO!!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 4 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #51

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 4 2017, 10:25 AM) *
... a long conversation, her eyes would glaze over and the dog would start farting.

Oh, sure--blame it on the dog!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 4 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I bet it was just a case of not finding a suitable upper Early dash...it was terribly troublesome for me too. Since so much is borrowed from later cars - this was quite possibly a "convenient" option. Has anyone else thought how the "judging" in Spokane might be in over their heads as it relates to teeners? That is allot of common sense detail for 914 experts to miss.

T

Attached Image

+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 4 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2017, 07:42 PM) *

The early four's also had the vent, I believe, so it has nothing to do relative to being a six or not...I am not a purist or original freak so I might be fuzzy on detail.

T

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 3 2017, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2017, 02:41 PM) *

I don't see a vent in the center of the top of the dash. Add in the title issues and something is starting to sound suspicious.

I'm not sure what you mean about the vent b/c of my knowledge level...assuming it's something inherent to 6's? The title issue is surely a red flag.

914/6s do not have center vents
Very early 914/4 don't have them either (#76 and earlier anyway)
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Sep 4 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Mercurial @ Sep 4 2017, 01:34 PM) *
Thanks for you input and the link! Yes, I've driven a few 914's, the latest being this one that's for sale in my area...

1973 914-6 Hot Rod

Really good car, very visceral, but there were some things that didn't quite do it for me. Ideally, I'd like bigger displacement (3.2), but I'm open to other options.

wow, thats an amazing car. I'd love to drive that!
+Quote Post
jmz
post Sep 4 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 19,886

[/quote]

1973 914-6 Hot Rod

[quote name='mepstein' post='2524228' date='Sep 4 2017, 10:25 AM']

I will chime in here. I agree with a whole lot of what has been said.

None of these are GT clones. They are all really nice cars and would be fun, great for cars and coffee, spirited drives and maybe more practical than a proper GT clone.

...the blue car is a serial numbered six and that has a certain panache and you will take a fair amount of pride in knowing that. Sure it is probably missing a few original parts but if that bothered you it can be remedied. I'd like to know more about the specs of the engine.

The white car is gorgeous. I know the car and witnessed the build. ...truly rust free and has some nice touches. ...just finding a rust free 914 or one that has been made rust free is a big deal.
I like that it has a 2.0. I'd rather have a small displacement high revving engine in a six GT style car than a motronic 3.2

The orange car with the 2.8 if it the engine is built right would be my choice of cars if I was just choosing based on engines. I'd rather have a 2.8 high strung motor than a 3.2 any day!

The black car. ...bought right and then 2-3K in metal work adding GT flares would be cool too. I am a big fan of the 915 conversion but that is just me. ...it's not a cheap modification either.

I'd probably put a bid in on the white car that I'd be comfortable with and then try look at either the blue car or black car. If the black car can be verified rust free-ish and is close to 25K less than the blue car, I'd go there but it would be a tough call.

Good Luck and have fun.

+Quote Post
larryM
post Sep 6 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #56

emoze

Member No.: 65

the essential question here is whether you are ready to drop CASH on any of the cars ???? - or are you just window-shopping?

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2017, 04:13 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Reconstructed title plus late dash in an early chassis = more scrutiny is required.

it could be multiple 914s turned into one. The car does seems like a bit of a deal in light of some other recent 914-6 sales

a few yrs ago i was offered the opportunity to buy a "real six" near Folsom, CA - it had been underwater in a flood & then just sat derelict, so the engine was obviously junk;

the seller was a credible & knowledgeable "car guy" well known for costly restorations of various imports

on inspection i noted the late vented dash - more inspection revealed it was a sectioned car - front half was late, back end was the real six - of course the real six numbers had been transferred

i passed on the deal

regarding the car of current interest:

there are a LOT of six conversions & "six-restos" found & described on this site & elsewhere that are equally suspect as to "originality" (if we are talking about the parts & panels the car was originally made with) - we are regularly treated to extensive views of rust-orations with extensive replacement of major components

- so any 914/6 body with original numbers is apparently credible & highly desirable - and any $25K -4-conversion can be a great bargain as a driver with cafe cache

- i have owned & sold (cheaply) 2 totally rusted-out "real six" shells with correct vin & title that apparently have been resurrected into nice-looking cars - no way either of them has the original body shell anymore -

+Quote Post
post Sep 7 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 21,298
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 4 2017, 06:52 PM) *

I think so too...especially in person. There were just a few nits that kept me from moving forward on it.

Check out the new video that's been added in the FS ad:

1973 Porsche 914 Hot Rod FS

QUOTE(jmz @ Sep 4 2017, 07:45 PM) *

None of these are GT clones. They are all really nice cars and would be fun, great for cars and coffee, spirited drives and maybe more practical than a proper GT clone.

...the blue car is a serial numbered six and that has a certain panache and you will take a fair amount of pride in knowing that. Sure it is probably missing a few original parts but if that bothered you it can be remedied. I'd like to know more about the specs of the engine.

The white car is gorgeous. I know the car and witnessed the build. ...truly rust free and has some nice touches. ...just finding a rust free 914 or one that has been made rust free is a big deal.
I like that it has a 2.0. I'd rather have a small displacement high revving engine in a six GT style car than a motronic 3.2

The orange car with the 2.8 if it the engine is built right would be my choice of cars if I was just choosing based on engines. I'd rather have a 2.8 high strung motor than a 3.2 any day!

The black car. ...bought right and then 2-3K in metal work adding GT flares would be cool too. I am a big fan of the 915 conversion but that is just me. ...it's not a cheap modification either.

I'd probably put a bid in on the white car that I'd be comfortable with and then try look at either the blue car or black car. If the black car can be verified rust free-ish and is close to 25K less than the blue car, I'd go there but it would be a tough call.

Good Luck and have fun.

Thanks for your input! The evaluation process is truly a fun and interesting experience! I lost interest in the blue once some red flags popped up...the biggest one being the title issue.

The white car on BAT is sitting at $47k with about 2 hours left to go. I'm anticipating a very exciting race right down to the wire! Does anyone think it will surpass $55k? Any predictions on where this will land? $60k possibly?

1975 Porsche 914 Hot Rod on BAT
QUOTE(larryM @ Sep 6 2017, 06:05 PM) *

the essential question here is whether you are ready to drop CASH on any of the cars ???? - or are you just window-shopping?

a few yrs ago i was offered the opportunity to buy a "real six" near Folsom, CA - it had been underwater in a flood & then just sat derelict, so the engine was obviously junk;

the seller was a credible & knowledgeable "car guy" well known for costly restorations of various imports

on inspection i noted the late vented dash - more inspection revealed it was a sectioned car - front half was late, back end was the real six - of course the real six numbers had been transferred

i passed on the deal

there are a LOT of six conversions & "six-restos" found & described on this site & elsewhere that are equally suspect as to "originality" (if we are talking about the parts & panels the car was originally made with) - we are regularly treated to extensive views of rust-orations with extensive replacement of major components

- so any 914/6 body with original numbers is apparently credible & highly desirable - and any $25K -4-conversion can be a great bargain as a driver with cafe cache

- i have owned & sold (cheaply) 2 totally rusted-out "real six" shells with correct vin & title that apparently have been resurrected into nice-looking cars - no way either of them has the original body shell anymore -

Thanks for sharing your experience...looks like you dodged a big bullet by passing on that 6!

I was window shopping earlier this year, but I think I'm beyond that phase now, and I'm ready to pull the trigger! I may have one in my sights now. I'll update as things unfold.
+Quote Post
Mercurial
post Sep 7 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(206 @ Sep 7 2017, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 4 2017, 06:52 PM) *

I think so too...especially in person. There were just a few nits that kept me from moving forward on it.

Check out the new video that's been added in the FS ad:

1973 Porsche 914 Hot Rod FS

QUOTE(jmz @ Sep 4 2017, 07:45 PM) *

Good Luck and have fun.

Thanks for your input! The evaluation process is truly a fun and interesting experience! I lost interest in the blue once some red flags popped up...the biggest one being the title issue.

The white car on BAT is sitting at $47k with about 2 hours left to go. I'm anticipating a very exciting race right down to the wire! Does anyone think it will surpass $55k? Any predictions on where this will land? $60k possibly?

1975 Porsche 914 Hot Rod on BAT
QUOTE(larryM @ Sep 6 2017, 06:05 PM) *

i passed on the deal

Thanks for sharing your experience...looks like you dodged a big bullet by passing on that 6!

I was window shopping earlier this year, but I think I'm beyond that phase now, and I'm ready to pull the trigger! I may have one in my sights now. I'll update as things unfold.

This post was actually from me. When I first registered, I created 2 different screen names, but I like this one more, so I'll be sticking with it. Sorry for the confusion...if anyone cares. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Sep 7 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 1,073

Because I would want to drive my GT clone, both options posted stink..

Why? cause I don't like the blue cars appearance but like its motor and cause I think the white car looks much better, but a stock 2.0 t spec motor has got no balls.

Buy both, swap motors and then keep the white one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Winning its PCA concours class does NOT equal it being a "factory correct" type car. As noted with the myriad of updates. Its all about presentation, not "correctness" for the class it was entered in. In essence, the blue car is a hacked up six whose value resides in its vin plate. The white car is a well hacked up 4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 7 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #60

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 3 2017, 04:49 PM) *

I see the white car landing on a number north of $55K before the auction ends. It is a conversion and in the end, the real six will always be worth more. Both are very well done. The white car could use a GT front valence. If you are truly in the market, reach a little deeper and get the six. With probably less than 2000 of them left, I think the value still has some growing room.

I was wrong. Gotta work on my accuracy...

Off by $3001.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 11:10 AM