Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What made you want to get a 914?, I will start
burton73
post Sep 3 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #1

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

What made you want to get a 914?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I will start.

I had friends with 911 and I got a 911. When I spun a bearing in my 73 911 my car was in the machine shop in Burbank, CA I went there for lunch on a regular basis.
One of the friends of the owner had a factory real 914-6 with a 3.0 in it. This was back in 1978 and this was not the norm for 914s

Well this friend gave me a ride back from the restaurant and I noted not only how his car seemed faster than my 911 but he was going around 50 miles per hour and he made a right turn. I thought we would crash but instead his car in Slot Like form just made the turn. Like on Rails like a fast ride in Disneyland.

After that I always wanted one. And when someone stole my 911, I got my first of many.

Bob B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Sep 3 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

A friend had a 914 and I thought it was a cool little car. I was stupid and young, so I bought one too. This had to be 1988 and I have had one ever since.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Sep 3 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #3

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

My dad had one and this photo was taken of me with that car on my 5th Birthday.

44 years later I bought one of my own. My '73 2.0 came off the line approximately 2 months after this photo was taken.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 3 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

I got it cause i started with a baja bug
This was the next logical step since its really
The highest performance car my air cooled mechanic

Will work on .

And if you ask me the 914 is the best little car
Around .

Plenty sporty plenty fast
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Sep 3 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Was a car nut from as long as I could remember. My parents said I could tell cars apart when a little kid in the early 50's.
My dad said I couldn't get my own car until I graduated from college- he was a lot smarter than I was- he knew I would have never gotten the grades to get into med school if I had a car.
When done with college, it was either a 914 or a 2002 and I went for the sports car. Coudln't spend the money on a 911 so it was a 914. I still have it, and it will always stay in the family. My kids inherited the car gene... it is a dominant gene for sure!
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Sep 3 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,519

Recovering from a heart attack and my wife and I decided that it would be good stress relief to have a fun project. Didn't know 914's that well and bought a rust bucket. I had been a British car fanatic before that.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 3 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

When I was in High School, I started dating my wife of now 39 years. My car was a Ford Pinto, and even then we called it the "blow up car", knowing that if we were ever rear ended, the cars were known to become roman candles. I was mowing my neighbor's lawn one afternoon, and he approached me and asked if I was going to the school prom soon with my girlfriend. When I told him I was, he informed me that it just wasn't right to take her on this big date in a Pinto. He had just purchased a new silver 914 and he offered it to me to use to take her to the dance! I couldn't believe it, and neither could she when I pulled up in this little racy Porsche to take her out for the big night!. My generous neighbor continued to let me use the 914 whenever I had a significant date night, and I will be forever grateful to him. After we were married, my wife and I always said that whenever we had a little extra coin someday, we would pick up a 914. We finally made it financially, and my wife and son went out and bought a nice yellow one and surprised me with it! When I told my friends that my wife bought my 914 for me, they asked where they could get one. I said "A car like this?". And they said "No, we can get the car anywhere, we want to know where to get a wife that will buy us a sports car!". Good luck, she's pretty special. I'm not so sure I would lend out my 914 today to some punk 16 year old kid like I was then!
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Sep 3 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 21,151

My dad of course. I remember cruising in his 914 as a kid. Since the car is a family heirloom there is sendimental value.

He got into 914's because he use to race them. Loved the power/ weight ratio and handling so he bought the mighty 914 (that I resurrected) in 1980.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 3 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #9

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

About 8 years ago a good friend bought a turnkey 914-6 conversion and he took me for a ride in it on the Ortega Highway. He once had a real 914-6 that he auto crossed back in the day. Since he used to race and was/ is a good driver he was passing slow cars on the Ortega. I will tell you that was impressive! And man that car was fast.

I started to look for a turnkey 6 conversion for myself and the first one I drove well that did it because it was quick and sorted. I now really had the bug! It was an OK car sorted but needed work and I didn't get it and that was a BIG mistake to pass on that one in hind sight! Because I could only find crap after that, and I looked on and off for several years until I found the one I have now. Didn't plan to buy a project but there was just too many good points not to. Just have to finish it.

Drive a 6 and done.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 3 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

In 1974 I was driving a '69 SS 350 Camaro which was a Sunday Lions dragstrip Car, Wednesday night Van Nuys Blvd street racer and daily driver. So- so as a canyon racer but a heavy nosed, understeering lug. A friend of mine that owned a record store on Melrose Ave. just got a new toy from their Family 's auto body shop located in the rear of the property; a freshly repaired + painted '73 914 2.0. He also owned an early 1967 302 Z28 (had a special sn# stamped on the fan shroud), '73 911S and now the 914.
He threw me the keys , said that it wasn't very quick and that I should take it up Woodrow Wilson, Nichols and Laurel Canyon for a couple hours for a look see. It was just about an average 90 hp drive getting up there in a car that had a recognizable VW pushrod sound...but when the climb was over and the canyons opened up...it was like Wham ! Just pushing this slot car around in 2nd and 3rd, just about ran out of brakes coming down the canyon back into Hollywood.
Thanked him for the drive opportunity and bought a new black '74 2.0 appearance -group that weekend at Downtown L.A. Porsche Audi.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 3 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I never liked the looks of a 914 - thought they were a goofy looking little car with a VW engine in it. My dad had a 68 Beetle I'd take on dates and such, very underpowered and not very charismatic especially to the girls I went out with. So I always had big block muscle and had quite a few but I always wanted to build a car from the ground up so to speak. By now I'm more into the handling rather than burning the tires off... maybe I'm growing up but I seriously doubt it.
I started looking around for a sports car because only 2 seats are kinda cool. What handles the best? Mid engine... Add the rest of the handling aspects to it and you come up with an expensive Porsche or an even more expensive (and somewhat unreliable) Italian car. I guess a 914 might do the job...
I started looking at members cars on this site and found the same hot rodding spirit that I used to enjoy to be welcomed here rather than shunned - even encouraged by some! I see the water cooled options, decide to go for it and with the help of some local folks have come up with a workable plan that I'm happy with. Bought my car, moved to a bigger house just in time to be creamed on my motorcycle by a truck right after I cut the floor out... I'm still recovering but have been able to do quite a bit but not the huge chunks of work this thing needs...yet. Bit by bit though she's coming around!
+Quote Post
RickS
post Sep 4 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,880

When I was 13 my 16 YO cousin bought the plain Jane light blue 72 with steelies. She took me for a ride in this very spartan car and blasted through a couple corners and I told myself I would buy her car or get another someday.

Fast forward 50 years and I found an almost rust free 71 sitting on a friend's patio covered in tarps. It started with the first twist of the key and I asked, how much?
+Quote Post
Pursang
post Sep 4 2017, 12:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,386
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

1. Sports car fan since junior high school.
2. First car was a Sprite I bought from my dad when I started college (and he bought a TR4).
3. Best friend had a TR3. I loved it.
4. Got out of the Army in 1969 and went to the International Car Show in San Francisco. Saw the debut of the 914 there. I loved it.

fast forward 18 years. Married with children. Want to sell my car (wife has a station wagon).

5. Looking at two possibilities: TR3 or 914.
6. Lots of 914s available back then but most of them are mediocre.
7. Eventually find one of each and both are in good condition.
8. Chose the 914 because it was 15 years newer, had VW reliability and (meaning no offense) was not British.

I have had this car since 1987 and still love it. I attended the All British Field Meet this weekend in Portland and drooled over the old TRs. If only I had the money...and a good supply of oil.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 4 2017, 01:59 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Saw one in a car yard down the road from my parents place when I was about 18yrs old,never forgot how much I liked that car.
Got most of the house payments out of the way and decided I wanted a 356,went for a drive in a fully restored 63 model...didn't do much for me.
A friend that had a VW shop somehow ended up with a 2.2T motor and wanted a quick sale,my wife thought I was mad but I bought it anyway,the idea was to fit it to a 911,never found one that was even worth fixing and prices were going to the moon.
Fast forward to late 2013,put a Blaupunkt stereo up for auction and a guy contacted me saying he was keen and wanted to know the shipping cost,after he bought it we started bouncing emails,he had a 71 911 in a poor state and needed cash to do the bodywork,he said I have a 914/6 conversion I would like to sell to fast forward the 911 project.
I looked @ all the pics he sent and the car was a solid low mileage example been barn stored since 1999 (true) so gave him a non refundable deposit and he mentioned it needed some finishing work that he would complete when he had time,I was happy to wait.
Meanwhile my wife was given a rather short time to live so was very busy looking after her ,while she was ok to travel I took her on a bucket list visit to see friends in several parts of my country,it was great for her,giving her meds one morning she said 'when are you going to buy that car" ?,we were due to fly home so payed the owner that morning.
I thought what am I doing?,the current situation was not going to improve,my wife passed Nov 2014 and I just forgot about the car,nothing could improve my interest @ that time,around Jan 2015 I had it shipped close to my town and trailered it home.
The rest is history as they say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Sep 4 2017, 02:14 AM
Post #15

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

My Volkswagen broke.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Sep 4 2017, 03:43 AM
Post #16

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Pontiac Fiero (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

I was 14 when the Fiero came out and I thought it was the coolest car ever. I liked the GT with the 6-cyl and rounded off nose. Saw it at the Chicago Auto Show, had pictures on my wall, etc. Then I was reading an article in Road & Track about it, and there was a sidebar about the 'other' 2 seater mid-engine car from the 70's, the 914. I remember them referring to the flat-4 - 'sounds like a sheet metal stamping plant behind your head'. I finally recognized a few on the street and decided it was for me. Got my car when I was 20. 27 years later, I still have it!
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 4 2017, 05:13 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I liked cars as much as any other kid but I wasnt superinterested untill I got my drivers license at 18. (1994) My dad wasnt mechanically interested or interested in cars at all but driving a car really hooked me.

My first "sports car" was a 1981 VW Scirocco GTI that I fixed up and hotrodded with a turbo engine over 8 years. After that I wanted something "finished" that I could just drive and service. Looked at a Boxster S but I was put off by the depreciation of those. For the same money I found a 1990 964 Carrera 2. I bought that, its was my favorite 911 bodystyle. I loved that car but sold it after a few years, the project bug had reared its ugly head again and I missed the tinkering nad building. Maybe the 964 was too perfect? It was at least way to common, turning up to a Porsche club meeting and there were at least 20 others like it.

In 2013 I bought an ex California '74 2.0 from Germany and had it transported to Sweden. The restoration took 4 years and this summer was the first that I've enjoyed my 914. Love the reactions from people that range from "Oooh I drove one of those once it was awsome" to "Hey dude, nice Alfa Romeo" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
daytona
post Sep 4 2017, 09:12 AM
Post #18

daytona

Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

I have loved cars (sports cars in particular) since I was a little kid. As I was growing up I concentrated on British and Italian cars.
In early 1973 I was dating a girl who's brother had a room mate that had just gotten out of the Navy after serving in Viet Nam. The first thing he did was buy him self a sports car. It was a yellow 914. Knowing that I liked sports cars he came by my house and took me for a thrill ride. I knew about 914s from reading publications like Autoweek and Road&Track. We talked about the car and I mentioned that I was surprised at how fast it was. That is when he told me that that one was a 914-6. That was my first real life exposure to the 914. Over the years I owned several British and Italian sports cars, including a 1967 911S (my first Porsche).
Fast forward to October 2011. A long time business associate tells me that he wants to sell his 75 914 that he has owned since 1976. It was metallic copper whith white interior.
I bought it for my wife, but we did not keep it more than a few months because she wanted a car with AC (we live in Florida) and I could not blame her. We sold the car to a friend, which was a bad idea because I kept seeing the car all the time and I still liked it. In may of 2014 I purchased a 1974 signal orange in bone stock condition. I still have this one, but not enough power. So, in October of 2015 I purchased a 914-6 conversion that I am working on now. It took me 38 years to purchase my first 914. But now I three parts cars, 2 running 914s, and there is this silver one on crags list that sounds like a deal...
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post Sep 4 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #19

RobnxiousOne

Member No.: 7,097
Region Association: Northern California

Back when I was in high school, my track and cross country coach was a HUGE air cooled van, with various bugs and vans. Anyway, one day he shows up with a new car, a signal orange 914. I thought it was extremely cool looking and one day he took me for a drive. I did not know at this time that there were different engine sizes and that I was riding in an original -6. It was just so cool being that low to the ground and the torque and handling was fantastic (unfortunately, unlike Oakdale Curtis, my coach WASN'T stupid enough to let some 17 year old idiot drive it.) I remember that ride to this day.

A few years later, I was looking at this one nice little -4, but since I was in the spend it as fast as you get it mode, had to ask my father for a loan of $1500, to which he claimed poverty, and I wasn't able to get that (on a side note, turns out he was broke because he had just bought my younger brother a brand new car).

A couple of more years pass, and I was finally able to get my little 2 seat sports car, though it was a 1st gen MR2. LOVED that car, had plenty of pick up, was fun to drive and it was my favorite car, right up until I walked out of work one day, and it was missing. The officer who responded thought it was VERY funny that they had already found the car, and that it was totaled.

Fast forward now to last year. As someone mentioned when I finally "joined" the board, I had been a member here since 2006, so the bug to own one never left. I kept looking, but never bought one, since I was too busy being responsible. After my father and his wife passed away, I was left with a little bit of money, and after I put some aside, I still had a decent amount left, and decided I was finally going to get my 914. I was able to find mine fairly quickly, like within one week.

An older couple had posted it for sale on a website, but didn't use a premium ad, nor did they do that great of a job "selling it". He had owned the car for over 30 years, and never would have sold except that his hip was replaced and he couldn't drive it anymore. I actually bought it after only looking at it, not driving it (it was raining when I went there), since when I told a friend I was worried about spending $7500 on a straight, pretty rust free car that really just needed cosmetic updates, and having the engine blow up on me quickly, he told me " Who cares, throw a 2.0 in it for 2K and you are still getting a steal".

This car is EVERYTHING I hoped for (except for speed, but THAT will be taken care of shortly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ). I love it and wish I would have gotten one earlier, but I probably wouldn't have been able to update things like I have now.

+Quote Post
carking1996
post Sep 4 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,399
Region Association: North East States

An old game I played, need for speed Porsche unleashed, had a 914 in it. I loved it ever since I was a kid playing the game

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.igcd.net-20399-1504541704.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:14 AM