Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What made you want to get a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
burton73
What made you want to get a 914?
driving.gif I will start.

I had friends with 911 and I got a 911. When I spun a bearing in my 73 911 my car was in the machine shop in Burbank, CA I went there for lunch on a regular basis.
One of the friends of the owner had a factory real 914-6 with a 3.0 in it. This was back in 1978 and this was not the norm for 914s

Well this friend gave me a ride back from the restaurant and I noted not only how his car seemed faster than my 911 but he was going around 50 miles per hour and he made a right turn. I thought we would crash but instead his car in Slot Like form just made the turn. Like on Rails like a fast ride in Disneyland.

After that I always wanted one. And when someone stole my 911, I got my first of many.

Bob B
tradisrad
A friend had a 914 and I thought it was a cool little car. I was stupid and young, so I bought one too. This had to be 1988 and I have had one ever since.
914_7T3
My dad had one and this photo was taken of me with that car on my 5th Birthday.

44 years later I bought one of my own. My '73 2.0 came off the line approximately 2 months after this photo was taken.

Click to view attachment
thelogo
I got it cause i started with a baja bug
This was the next logical step since its really
The highest performance car my air cooled mechanic

Will work on .

And if you ask me the 914 is the best little car
Around .

Plenty sporty plenty fast
SKL1
Was a car nut from as long as I could remember. My parents said I could tell cars apart when a little kid in the early 50's.
My dad said I couldn't get my own car until I graduated from college- he was a lot smarter than I was- he knew I would have never gotten the grades to get into med school if I had a car.
When done with college, it was either a 914 or a 2002 and I went for the sports car. Coudln't spend the money on a 911 so it was a 914. I still have it, and it will always stay in the family. My kids inherited the car gene... it is a dominant gene for sure!
Beach914
Recovering from a heart attack and my wife and I decided that it would be good stress relief to have a fun project. Didn't know 914's that well and bought a rust bucket. I had been a British car fanatic before that.
oakdalecurtis

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

When I was in High School, I started dating my wife of now 39 years. My car was a Ford Pinto, and even then we called it the "blow up car", knowing that if we were ever rear ended, the cars were known to become roman candles. I was mowing my neighbor's lawn one afternoon, and he approached me and asked if I was going to the school prom soon with my girlfriend. When I told him I was, he informed me that it just wasn't right to take her on this big date in a Pinto. He had just purchased a new silver 914 and he offered it to me to use to take her to the dance! I couldn't believe it, and neither could she when I pulled up in this little racy Porsche to take her out for the big night!. My generous neighbor continued to let me use the 914 whenever I had a significant date night, and I will be forever grateful to him. After we were married, my wife and I always said that whenever we had a little extra coin someday, we would pick up a 914. We finally made it financially, and my wife and son went out and bought a nice yellow one and surprised me with it! When I told my friends that my wife bought my 914 for me, they asked where they could get one. I said "A car like this?". And they said "No, we can get the car anywhere, we want to know where to get a wife that will buy us a sports car!". Good luck, she's pretty special. I'm not so sure I would lend out my 914 today to some punk 16 year old kid like I was then!
Ed_Turbo
My dad of course. I remember cruising in his 914 as a kid. Since the car is a family heirloom there is sendimental value.

He got into 914's because he use to race them. Loved the power/ weight ratio and handling so he bought the mighty 914 (that I resurrected) in 1980.
Lucky9146
About 8 years ago a good friend bought a turnkey 914-6 conversion and he took me for a ride in it on the Ortega Highway. He once had a real 914-6 that he auto crossed back in the day. Since he used to race and was/ is a good driver he was passing slow cars on the Ortega. I will tell you that was impressive! And man that car was fast.

I started to look for a turnkey 6 conversion for myself and the first one I drove well that did it because it was quick and sorted. I now really had the bug! It was an OK car sorted but needed work and I didn't get it and that was a BIG mistake to pass on that one in hind sight! Because I could only find crap after that, and I looked on and off for several years until I found the one I have now. Didn't plan to buy a project but there was just too many good points not to. Just have to finish it.

Drive a 6 and done.
Maltese Falcon
In 1974 I was driving a '69 SS 350 Camaro which was a Sunday Lions dragstrip Car, Wednesday night Van Nuys Blvd street racer and daily driver. So- so as a canyon racer but a heavy nosed, understeering lug. A friend of mine that owned a record store on Melrose Ave. just got a new toy from their Family 's auto body shop located in the rear of the property; a freshly repaired + painted '73 914 2.0. He also owned an early 1967 302 Z28 (had a special sn# stamped on the fan shroud), '73 911S and now the 914.
He threw me the keys , said that it wasn't very quick and that I should take it up Woodrow Wilson, Nichols and Laurel Canyon for a couple hours for a look see. It was just about an average 90 hp drive getting up there in a car that had a recognizable VW pushrod sound...but when the climb was over and the canyons opened up...it was like Wham ! Just pushing this slot car around in 2nd and 3rd, just about ran out of brakes coming down the canyon back into Hollywood.
Thanked him for the drive opportunity and bought a new black '74 2.0 appearance -group that weekend at Downtown L.A. Porsche Audi.
mgp4591
I never liked the looks of a 914 - thought they were a goofy looking little car with a VW engine in it. My dad had a 68 Beetle I'd take on dates and such, very underpowered and not very charismatic especially to the girls I went out with. So I always had big block muscle and had quite a few but I always wanted to build a car from the ground up so to speak. By now I'm more into the handling rather than burning the tires off... maybe I'm growing up but I seriously doubt it.
I started looking around for a sports car because only 2 seats are kinda cool. What handles the best? Mid engine... Add the rest of the handling aspects to it and you come up with an expensive Porsche or an even more expensive (and somewhat unreliable) Italian car. I guess a 914 might do the job...
I started looking at members cars on this site and found the same hot rodding spirit that I used to enjoy to be welcomed here rather than shunned - even encouraged by some! I see the water cooled options, decide to go for it and with the help of some local folks have come up with a workable plan that I'm happy with. Bought my car, moved to a bigger house just in time to be creamed on my motorcycle by a truck right after I cut the floor out... I'm still recovering but have been able to do quite a bit but not the huge chunks of work this thing needs...yet. Bit by bit though she's coming around!
RickS
When I was 13 my 16 YO cousin bought the plain Jane light blue 72 with steelies. She took me for a ride in this very spartan car and blasted through a couple corners and I told myself I would buy her car or get another someday.

Fast forward 50 years and I found an almost rust free 71 sitting on a friend's patio covered in tarps. It started with the first twist of the key and I asked, how much?
Pursang
1. Sports car fan since junior high school.
2. First car was a Sprite I bought from my dad when I started college (and he bought a TR4).
3. Best friend had a TR3. I loved it.
4. Got out of the Army in 1969 and went to the International Car Show in San Francisco. Saw the debut of the 914 there. I loved it.

fast forward 18 years. Married with children. Want to sell my car (wife has a station wagon).

5. Looking at two possibilities: TR3 or 914.
6. Lots of 914s available back then but most of them are mediocre.
7. Eventually find one of each and both are in good condition.
8. Chose the 914 because it was 15 years newer, had VW reliability and (meaning no offense) was not British.

I have had this car since 1987 and still love it. I attended the All British Field Meet this weekend in Portland and drooled over the old TRs. If only I had the money...and a good supply of oil.
porschetub
Saw one in a car yard down the road from my parents place when I was about 18yrs old,never forgot how much I liked that car.
Got most of the house payments out of the way and decided I wanted a 356,went for a drive in a fully restored 63 model...didn't do much for me.
A friend that had a VW shop somehow ended up with a 2.2T motor and wanted a quick sale,my wife thought I was mad but I bought it anyway,the idea was to fit it to a 911,never found one that was even worth fixing and prices were going to the moon.
Fast forward to late 2013,put a Blaupunkt stereo up for auction and a guy contacted me saying he was keen and wanted to know the shipping cost,after he bought it we started bouncing emails,he had a 71 911 in a poor state and needed cash to do the bodywork,he said I have a 914/6 conversion I would like to sell to fast forward the 911 project.
I looked @ all the pics he sent and the car was a solid low mileage example been barn stored since 1999 (true) so gave him a non refundable deposit and he mentioned it needed some finishing work that he would complete when he had time,I was happy to wait.
Meanwhile my wife was given a rather short time to live so was very busy looking after her ,while she was ok to travel I took her on a bucket list visit to see friends in several parts of my country,it was great for her,giving her meds one morning she said 'when are you going to buy that car" ?,we were due to fly home so payed the owner that morning.
I thought what am I doing?,the current situation was not going to improve,my wife passed Nov 2014 and I just forgot about the car,nothing could improve my interest @ that time,around Jan 2015 I had it shipped close to my town and trailered it home.
The rest is history as they say biggrin.gif .

914 Ranch
My Volkswagen broke.
AZ914
Pontiac Fiero hide.gif

I was 14 when the Fiero came out and I thought it was the coolest car ever. I liked the GT with the 6-cyl and rounded off nose. Saw it at the Chicago Auto Show, had pictures on my wall, etc. Then I was reading an article in Road & Track about it, and there was a sidebar about the 'other' 2 seater mid-engine car from the 70's, the 914. I remember them referring to the flat-4 - 'sounds like a sheet metal stamping plant behind your head'. I finally recognized a few on the street and decided it was for me. Got my car when I was 20. 27 years later, I still have it!
falcor75
I liked cars as much as any other kid but I wasnt superinterested untill I got my drivers license at 18. (1994) My dad wasnt mechanically interested or interested in cars at all but driving a car really hooked me.

My first "sports car" was a 1981 VW Scirocco GTI that I fixed up and hotrodded with a turbo engine over 8 years. After that I wanted something "finished" that I could just drive and service. Looked at a Boxster S but I was put off by the depreciation of those. For the same money I found a 1990 964 Carrera 2. I bought that, its was my favorite 911 bodystyle. I loved that car but sold it after a few years, the project bug had reared its ugly head again and I missed the tinkering nad building. Maybe the 964 was too perfect? It was at least way to common, turning up to a Porsche club meeting and there were at least 20 others like it.

In 2013 I bought an ex California '74 2.0 from Germany and had it transported to Sweden. The restoration took 4 years and this summer was the first that I've enjoyed my 914. Love the reactions from people that range from "Oooh I drove one of those once it was awsome" to "Hey dude, nice Alfa Romeo" blink.gif
daytona
I have loved cars (sports cars in particular) since I was a little kid. As I was growing up I concentrated on British and Italian cars.
In early 1973 I was dating a girl who's brother had a room mate that had just gotten out of the Navy after serving in Viet Nam. The first thing he did was buy him self a sports car. It was a yellow 914. Knowing that I liked sports cars he came by my house and took me for a thrill ride. I knew about 914s from reading publications like Autoweek and Road&Track. We talked about the car and I mentioned that I was surprised at how fast it was. That is when he told me that that one was a 914-6. That was my first real life exposure to the 914. Over the years I owned several British and Italian sports cars, including a 1967 911S (my first Porsche).
Fast forward to October 2011. A long time business associate tells me that he wants to sell his 75 914 that he has owned since 1976. It was metallic copper whith white interior.
I bought it for my wife, but we did not keep it more than a few months because she wanted a car with AC (we live in Florida) and I could not blame her. We sold the car to a friend, which was a bad idea because I kept seeing the car all the time and I still liked it. In may of 2014 I purchased a 1974 signal orange in bone stock condition. I still have this one, but not enough power. So, in October of 2015 I purchased a 914-6 conversion that I am working on now. It took me 38 years to purchase my first 914. But now I three parts cars, 2 running 914s, and there is this silver one on crags list that sounds like a deal...
Robnxious
Back when I was in high school, my track and cross country coach was a HUGE air cooled van, with various bugs and vans. Anyway, one day he shows up with a new car, a signal orange 914. I thought it was extremely cool looking and one day he took me for a drive. I did not know at this time that there were different engine sizes and that I was riding in an original -6. It was just so cool being that low to the ground and the torque and handling was fantastic (unfortunately, unlike Oakdale Curtis, my coach WASN'T stupid enough to let some 17 year old idiot drive it.) I remember that ride to this day.

A few years later, I was looking at this one nice little -4, but since I was in the spend it as fast as you get it mode, had to ask my father for a loan of $1500, to which he claimed poverty, and I wasn't able to get that (on a side note, turns out he was broke because he had just bought my younger brother a brand new car).

A couple of more years pass, and I was finally able to get my little 2 seat sports car, though it was a 1st gen MR2. LOVED that car, had plenty of pick up, was fun to drive and it was my favorite car, right up until I walked out of work one day, and it was missing. The officer who responded thought it was VERY funny that they had already found the car, and that it was totaled.

Fast forward now to last year. As someone mentioned when I finally "joined" the board, I had been a member here since 2006, so the bug to own one never left. I kept looking, but never bought one, since I was too busy being responsible. After my father and his wife passed away, I was left with a little bit of money, and after I put some aside, I still had a decent amount left, and decided I was finally going to get my 914. I was able to find mine fairly quickly, like within one week.

An older couple had posted it for sale on a website, but didn't use a premium ad, nor did they do that great of a job "selling it". He had owned the car for over 30 years, and never would have sold except that his hip was replaced and he couldn't drive it anymore. I actually bought it after only looking at it, not driving it (it was raining when I went there), since when I told a friend I was worried about spending $7500 on a straight, pretty rust free car that really just needed cosmetic updates, and having the engine blow up on me quickly, he told me " Who cares, throw a 2.0 in it for 2K and you are still getting a steal".

This car is EVERYTHING I hoped for (except for speed, but THAT will be taken care of shortly shades.gif ). I love it and wish I would have gotten one earlier, but I probably wouldn't have been able to update things like I have now.

carking1996
An old game I played, need for speed Porsche unleashed, had a 914 in it. I loved it ever since I was a kid playing the game

IPB Image
Andyrew
QUOTE(carking1996 @ Sep 4 2017, 09:15 AM) *

An old game I played, need for speed Porsche unleashed, had a 914 in it. I loved it ever since I was a kid playing the game

IPB Image

Oh I loved that game! Still have it on my laptop.

My 914 was my first car. I either wanted a 67 mustang or a 914. My dad was big into autox as we went about once a month and we would always go somewhere in his 944. I wanted something I could autox. Eventually through many years of saving I found a deal on ebay for a 914 near me. My dad and I went over to the guy and found out he had three of them, two at his appartment complex and one in storage. We made a deal of 1,050 for tthe three and limped mine home. The other 2 went to a friends place where we chopped one up for parts and gave another shell to the friend. I had a shed full of parts that I would slowly sell off to help fund other parts.
I was 14 when I bought my 914.
flmont
For me I was a 911 guy at first, because I had seen one on a interstate way back in the late 70's,,I had always wanted a collection of Porsche's so as I learned about 911's and 944's,..I ran across a 914 and I liked it right off,.That became my second purchase from Ca. a signal orange and black 74' as I started to drive it around Tucson,az It was just so much more fun to drive to me, that I now have only 914's,.the rest have been sold ,But I would like to own a 968 or a boxster someday.
whitetwinturbo
Loved my 1970 Opel GT, CHP red, and my girlfriend had a 64 Mustang which she sold and replaced with a 1.8 white 914 with Riveras and ANSA quad pipes out back. WOW, what a throttle-steering slot car. I was/am a BMW/911 guy but always remembered she and her car wub.gif
Dave_Darling
A co-worker of mine autocrossed his 911SC. I was looking for a car that was more fun than my first car, a Honda Accord. He recommended 914s, because they always did very well at autoX events and were pretty inexpensive.

I bought the wrong one, broke a lot of stuff, and had to fix it myself because I couldn't afford Porsche mechanic prices. That was in about 1990.

After a couple of years, I bought a better 914, a few years later sold that first one. (For $500; and I had people trying to bargain the price down from there!!)

--DD
Porscheguy912
My 1968 soft window targa had horsepower of 93.
JOEPROPER
A long time ago a friend of mine watched races at Watkins Glen from the pit area. He told me about the awesome 914s there and the interest was sparked from there
I didn't get one until some 20+ years later, (by accident) and have jumped in with both feet. Now I understand why they say "if you want to join the club, you have to pay the dues'. I don't have any plans to bail out any time soon.
arne
My reason is far less 914-centered. For years my primary hobby has been to find fun but derelict cars and return them to usefulness. Examples include an MGB, 240Z, Corrado G60 and a BMW e21 323i. This 914 is my latest project. I'm happy to say it seems to be turning out quite nice. But there's no telling whether this will be the only teener in my life or not.
flat4guy
My brother and Dad had 911's, my sister had a 914. I have always wanted a 911 but way too expensive - so a 914 seemed like the next best car.
914-300Hemi
My best friend bought a used black 1.8 914 when we were in high school. He would let borrow the car to go on dates or just have fun. We went to Mammoth to ski and Palm Springs for spring break. We just had a blast and then I bought one and drove around with my kids with the top off. They had the biggest smile whenever we went for a drive.
So we can thank my friend for this addiction.
gereed75
I was very mechanically inclined youth, bikes,slot cars, then go-carts, mini bikes then motorcycles then cars used to never miss Lemans on Wide World of Sports. Read all the mags, especially R&T. When the 914 came out, first it was mid engined, then it was just something about the engineering that grabbed me - neat, clean, elegantly simple, efficient.

As things worked out, I got a new one in 73', 2 liter marathon blue. It was everything I thought it would be. Was headed to a Navy duty assignment overseas for three years in 76, so sold the 4 and bought a six as I figured it would hold its value when I got back.

I was hooked. Still love the engineering. Still elegantly simple, still efficient.
Rand
I wanted a small, light, affordable, targa top sports car. I looked at Toyota MR2s, Honda Del Sols, and everything else out there. None of them have the soul of the 914. Then as you know, once bitten, it's an addiction.
kgruen2
I have always been a sports car fan. When I was 14 in the early 60's, I wrote myself a note that I would buy a sports car someday. My favorite at the time was the Triumph TR2/3. Porsches were not on my list. When the 914 first came out, I was not that impressed, liking the Datsun 240Z better. The 914 started to grow on me and I appreciated its "purposeful" design. My brother-in-law bought a '70 914 and let me drive it. Loved the way it drove. Got a '76 914 in the early 80's. Great fun, but traded it for a "family" car. Got the bug again to get a 914 and found the "perfect" one in Jan. 2015 at Truspeed Motorcars, a '73 2.0 with a tired engine. Have since had the motor rebuilt by Raby Air Cooled Technology to a 2270cc, 178 hp (on the dyno, probably 150+ at the rear wheels) little hot rod. What a blast to drive. Always puts a smile on my face. biggrin.gifClick to view attachment
Spoke
Always loved Porsches. I attended the Watkins Glen 6-hour endurance races and CanAm races in '70, '71, and '72. This was at a time when before and after the races anyone could walk through the paddock and pits and I saw the 917's up close.

Then in '73 I started dating a girl who lived about 10 miles from me out towards the country. Being 15 I couldn't drive and was always looking for a ride to her house. Just so happens her older sister's boyfriend bought a 914 and picked me up in it many times.

The one ride to her house that stood out was when there was about 1-2 inches of snow on the road. He took it easy but that car never slid or anything in the snow. I remember falling in love with the front turnsignal look and pop-up lights.

As a cautionary tale, I commented about the squeaking coming from the roof and he said he needed to squirt some lubricant on it to make it stop. So even brand new the 914 was a "flexible flyer".

I got my first 914 when I was in my late 40's.
Chris914n6
It was an issue of VW & Porsche around 1989, had an article about setting up 914 suspensions for racing. Also influenced by a black 914 with vented rocker panels and rubber skirts parked near UNLV that I would bike by couple times a month.

Decided the 914 would be a good first step towards a racing career. I went with the first 914 my parents finally let me look at. At $3500 I could buy it or an 86 RX7. Shouldn't have. Spent what little money I had left fixing it instead of racing, and Mom decided she would only $upport a college related future. So the reality was me driving a black on black car with no A/C to summer jobs headbang.gif

An old man in a new Lexus killed that car. I found a rust free non-running car a block away while cycle training for $1000. Couldn't drive and swap parts at the same time, so I bought a Nissan pickup (parts hauler) with the V6, and A/C. (forshadowing)

First 914 had a mutt 2 liter with Solex industrial carbs, the second nice Webber 40s on a 1.8 that I couldn't get running right, so I bought 914 #3 for the strong 2.0FI and #4 as part of the package for $2000.

The rest of the story belongs in a build thread sunglasses.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 3 2017, 06:21 PM) *

I didn't ...
biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 4 2017, 07:58 PM) *

I didn't ...
biggrin.gif

So what made it stick for you? smile.gif
iankarr
My doc said I'm iron deficient and recommended playing with rusty metal.

Great stories guys!

My first car was a Fiat X 1/9, which I always thought was the poor man's 914. Funny...911 guys call us NARPS...but at least we don't have a fraction on our badging. I eventually came to realize that 1/9 referred to the number of days the car wouldn't break down. The throttle linkage actually fell apart on the way to prom and I fixed it roadside in a tuxedo. James Bond style.

Fast forward 35 years and I'm still working on cars (no tux, but more lbs). I went to the Caffeine and Carburetors show in New Canaan, CT, saw a beautiful 73 2.0 and was reminded how much I loved the 914. I instantly fell under its spell.

I'm on my second 914 now...the addiction is strong....
jmitro
drove and customized a 73 VW bug as my first car in high school.

Now in my mid 40s with disposable income, I wanted an air cooled car to work on as a project; it's been a labor of love for two years and counting beerchug.gif
PancakePorsche
After my job transferred me to So. California in '78 one of my first new friends had a silver 6, I just fell in love with that car. I could not afford one then because they were selling for a whopping $5500 so I settled for a silver '74 2.0
carcus
Owned a Euro Spec 914-6 while stationed in Italy overseas I could not bring back, owned a 1970 VW bug, owned a 2000 Porsche 996. I wanted simple and fun with my 914 again. Granted, many years have passed since I owned my 914-6 in 1990.....but traded wanted some of my youth back. The 914 checks all the boxes for me and fun box also. For speed, I have have the custom SC Stang pulling 750HP. With the 914, not about speed, comfort....just a feeling. Hard to explain. Time machine for me. Funny thing is mechanics forgot how to work on older cars now.
falcor75
Reading all these answers makes me feel like I'm the youngest guy in here...and I'm 42 ?
kgruen2
QUOTE(carcus @ Sep 4 2017, 09:51 PM) *

Owned a Euro Spec 914-6 while stationed in Italy overseas I could not bring back, owned a 1970 VW bug, owned a 2000 Porsche 996. I wanted simple and fun with my 914 again. Granted, many years have passed since I owned my 914-6 in 1990.....but traded wanted some of my youth back. The 914 checks all the boxes for me and fun box also. For speed, I have have the custom SC Stang pulling 750HP. With the 914, not about speed, comfort....just a feeling. Hard to explain. Time machine for me. Funny thing is mechanics forgot how to work on older cars now.

When were you stationed in Italy? I was stationed in Vicenza from late '69 to mid '70, and in Livorno from mid '70 to early '71. That's where I learned to appreciate Porsches. A Carabaneri I worked with said the 911 was a "bella Machina". Imagine that, from the land of Ferraris and Lamborghinis.
carking1996
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 5 2017, 01:33 AM) *

Reading all these answers makes me feel like I'm the youngest guy in here...and I'm 42 ?

Nope. I'm 21. Pretty young here. But I sure there might still be younger biggrin.gif
mb911
My dad always had fixer upper Porsches while I was growing up including 4 356s, 2 912s 1 914 1 924turbo (great car by the way) and then later on he had another 356 and a boxster.. I liked the 914 the most of his bunch.. It was open topped and unloved by so many I felt it was my duty to show some love.. So this is my 3rd 914 have had a 911 turbo, 964, 74 911, a couple 912s and the 914s are the best driver cars.. My biggest concern is seating position once I get it all running.
sb914
Because there badass! So I got two. confused24.gif
mepstein
Because I like the pain. headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 4 2017, 07:59 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 4 2017, 07:58 PM) *

I didn't ...
biggrin.gif
So what made it stick for you? smile.gif

Never liked the 914 much growing up. I always wanted a Guards Red 911 Turbo with the big whale tail.

One day in 2000 i was driving to my storage unit in San Rafael which took me past Hi-Tec Automotive. They always had the odd Porsche for sale in the lot and on that day, there was a Guards Red 914 with wide fender flares.
I stopped on my way back from the storage place and took it for a test drive. The car had a tired 1.8L in it that barely came back to life and there was standing water behind the seats because they had left it out in the rain with a fallen down window.

Gave the car a good beating on the freeway and it finally opened up and started running well. Came back the next day with cash in hand and took it home.

At the time, i wasn't even looking for a car ...
biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
In 1995 was in my 8th year of a on again off again relationship. We were only a one week away from getting married when I came to my senses and realized this was not going to work so I called off the wedding (and the relationship).

So after buying "us" a house, lost deposits, and other wedding expense you can't get back I was having a "poor me" moment. Always wanted a 911, but was not in the best $$ position to buy a nice used one (really wanted this 80 911SC) so decided I could afford a "newer" 944.

Seen an ad for a 88 944 for sale and made arrangements to go look at it. When I got there this guy also had a black 73 914 2.0. I had no idea what they were. I asked if it was for sale also and was told "everything is for sale". I never even looked at the 944. I took the 914 for a drive and was hooked. Made the deal and the rest is history as they would say.
mmichalik
For me, it started in the late 70's, early 80's, when I was 9 or 10 with the Porsche 914 and BMW's 2002. My father had a body shop in town and we would see all sorts of cars.

The BMW fascination came about when one of his vendors / guy he worked with a lot would bring his highly modified 2002's into the shop for paint and body work.

The 914 infatuation happened because I used to see quite a few of them in Del Mar, California, when we would head down there to go to the beach. When ever I see one now, I instantly think back to overcast beach mornings on the coast. Great memories. It will be awesome when I can drive my own down there on those overcast beach days.

When I was able to talk my mechanic out of his 2002, I bought it immediately. When I found a friend of mine that had a 914 that he was selling, I snatched it up as quickly as I could.

Both cars are a labor of love. The 914 is going through a very heavy refresh / restoration from bumper to bumper. I can't wait until I get to drive it. Once it's running, I'll put 100k miles on it, like have have with my BMW, while the 2002 goes through it's restoration.

I have to say that I'm glad I have a wife that supports all of my hair-brained schemes. Just hope she doesn't ever go through the receipt folders for either of the cars. I might have some explaining to do.
EdwardBlume
Dad bought my car 40 years ago. Sitting in the passenger seat nailed it for me. Hard to admit its spent more time in disrepair than on the road, but that's just the way it is....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.