Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What made you want to get a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Justinp71

My uncle had a 1969 911s back in the 70's and convinced my mom to buy a 914. Well when I was a kid we used to ride around in it. When she decided to get a new car she put the 914 in storage for when I turned 16. Once I turned 16 my uncle found another 914 that was autocross ready for less than what it would cost to get my mom's old 914 on the road. So we bought that 914 20 years ago and that is the one I have today.
worn
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 4 2017, 01:43 AM) *

referring to the flat-4 - 'sounds like a sheet metal stamping plant behind your head'.

The one point where the 911 excels. I remember seeing these new cars in Seattle, when I grew up in Montlake. They had great vibrant colors and were headed to the slopes with Head skis on the racks. Which doesn't explain why the first Porsche I bought was a 911. What does make sense is my '72 sounds and drives better with a transplanted engine from a 911. oh yeah, as they say.
mgphoto
It was 1979, a porsche for VW money!
What else can I say.

I was used to VW's for porsche money!!

Freezin 914
Bought a 74 911 targa in 99 when I lived at home, "life" hadn't happened yet. I was racing shifter karts, at the time most of my money went to that. Had to sell it so I could afford to buy my first house. Always thought I wanted a car with wide wheels and a huge wing. Then I grew up and started to appreciate all kinds of cars for what they are, not what I think they should be. I now love what most of us love, early 911's with or with out wings, narrow body, RS bodied. I had seen a few 914's in magazines, etc, never thought much of them........Over the years, I had grown to absolutely love them. In all forms! .Now, I love them more than any other car, that has ever existed! (except maybe a Singer in the gulf livery). I will always have a 914, Running or not, HA! These cars hold a special place in my life. They put a smile on my face every time I see one, a driver, parts car, concours. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to be on this forum, with guys that love these killer little cars as much as I do. I just wish I was more mechanically knowledgeable like you guys. Sincerely, thank each and every one of you!
ClayPerrine
In 1985, I was friends with a guy who was into SCCA racing. I was a drag racer, but he slowly got me hooked. So I decided to buy a sports car. In his apartment parking lot there was a 1979 924 that was for sale. I ended up buying it.

I took it to an SCCA AX at Fair Park in Dallas. My friends were supposed to go, but they were too hung over to even get out of bed. So I went alone. While I was there, I noticed an orange Porsche, so I decided to take a look. Turns out it was owned by a woman. By the time the event was over, I had gotten my clock cleaned by the little orange Porsche. So I asked her out on a date.

Spend the whole of the first date in the passenger seat staring at a fogged over passenger side windshield.

3 years later, we drove home in that same little orange Porsche. Yes it was, and still is a 914.

32 years later, we are prepping to drive the same little orange Porsche to Georgia for Okteenerfest.

During that time, I sold the 924 at a loss, bought my own 914 and really got hooked.

I almost skipped going to that autocross in Fair Park. Looking back, I am glad I went.

struckn
Way back in early '70s after I got out of the Navy I Autocross'd a Gremlin X V8 in E Stock. Did well with it but the fasted Bad Ass Car was a 914-6 that was in Modified set up for Auto X. It was what I really wanted but could not afford. Then there was a Girl Friend with a 914-4. Sold the Gremlin and I bought a used 72 240Z. I wished I still had one but were do you find one these days in decent shape. So, I bought a '68 AMC AMX it.Years later I bought anther 2 seater that I still have, a '68 AMC AMX two seater. and it's a Show Car. Still wanting a true Sports Car I saw a '74 914-4 a few years back, all the stars aligned, and I finally got a Porsche, the one I always wanted. It far exceeded my expectations, had some of the better qualities of all the other cars but is Unique and in a Class of it's own, IMO. It's more fun to drive than any car I've owned not the fastest, not a daily driver for me, it's 100% for fun, it always makes me smile, never disappoints.
914 RZ-1
I hate to admit it, but it was the typical midlife crisis. I really like my wife, so I got a car. I wanted a simple and cheap car that was fun to drive. It had to be a stick shift, and I wanted one I could work on, even thought I don't know much about cars. I wanted to learn, so I asked a friend and he had one, so he recommended it. He also helps me work on it.

When I brought it home, my lovely wife looked at me and said: "It stinks, it's ugly, it's a piece of shit and I hate it", then turned around and walked in the house. She's warmed up a bit since then. My goal is to get her to ride in it with me.
IronHillRestorations
1978, after a girl pulled out in front of my Opel GT and totaled it; I started shopping for a car and came up on a white appearance group '74 1.8 with steel wheels. I'd always liked the 914, and hadn't drove one until then. Four months later, and after putting new SSI's on it, it was a victim of the winter of '79. Got a Datsun 200SX, which was a nice car, but not close to a 914. Four months after that I found another 914, and sold the Datsun. I kept that for 15 years, and restored it twice. I only sold it because I had a wide body 914 that I ended up putting a 3.0 into, that was 1993 long before 6 conversions were so common. I have a few 914's (none roadworthy) but unfortunately the only ones I drive belong to customers, and have to get my Porsche fix with a '91 Targa.
RickS
Forgot to mention that before I got the 914 I had a 72 911T targa, which was great to drive with the top off on our the few warm summer evenings (Seattle). Had to sell it because I was laid off and couldn't afford it's incessant demands for $500 bills.

10 years later I was taken for a drive in a 914 I will never forget. I was visiting a local indy Porsche shop who used to work on my 72 and there was a beautiful signal orange 914-6 converted with a 2.7 RS MFI and front oil cooler and limited slip. Talked to the owner about it and he asked if I wanted to go for a quick ride. I jumped at the chance and he said I better buckle up. OMG the acceleration was lightning quick which was cool but what really knocked my sox off was power sliding that car through the corners.
He would blast into a corner at what I thought was an insane speed and the car just hung in there, would start to slide, he would nail the throttle and off we would exit like shot from a gun. It put my old 911 to shame and also convinced me I had to get one.
amfab
My Father was always into Porsches, He had a 356 when I was too young to remember, a 76 turbo and a 78 SC. So I had been around them growing up.
My first car was a Thing (181) at 16. Got my license suspended for 6 mo. so I sold the 181, took the money 6 mo. later to by a used Ghia convertible. On the way to the lot, I passed another lot with a 73 green 2.0 for a couple hundred more. Bought it, and loved it. A neighbor had a ‘68 911L Targa. He was selling the 2.0 and putting a 2.4 in, so I bought the motor, found an oil tank and was on a way to a conversion. Before the neighbor put the 2.4 in he found a good deal on an SC so he bought that and offered me the 911L roller and would put the motor back in. So I sold the 914 and got into a 911. I drove the L for a few years and it was cool, but I always missed the 914. Later I bought an ‘84 Carrera Targa and drove that for 18 years until I sold it and bought a 993 Targa.
All the while I missed the 914. So the 993 was in the shop for a rebuild last year and I was renting a Fiat 500 and I was thinking, maybe I should pick one of these up for around town to keep the mileage down on the 993.Then I though to myself WTF? Buy a Fiat? Why not pick up the car you miss so much? So I did. Now I am driving the 993 to the metal supply store to pick up 18 ga every few weeks to repair what was hidden when I bought the 914.

-Andrew
bretth
I got one because they are air cooled, the price was right, and I had a little garage space to spare.

EDIT: Didn't hurt that when I was test driving my 914 I kept hearing "Nice car" from passing drivers.
gandalf_025
1973, I was 18 and wanted a new 750 Honda.. My parents said..
Buy a nice car instead... I already had 3 cars.. But said SURE..
My dad knew the owner of the Local VW/ Porsche Dealership.
I went there and saw a 6 that had just been traded in..
My dad co-signed the loan... still sitting out in the garage..
Dredwin
As a kid, I always liked the shape until I was "corrected" that the 911 was THE Porsche to own, not the 914. Granted he was a drug dealer and had a 911 with Turbo flares/whale tail and it was crazy fast so I get why he thought that way about a 914. But it was my first love and always in the back of my mind. My middle school teacher also had one and she was pretty cool so that added to me wanting one.

When I was looking for a car for my kid, I started snooping around at 914s and bought one off a member here. Felt sort of bad that I gave my kid my beat up car while I bought my dream car but you should never argue with someone giving you a free car so I bought my 914. After reading that many people have multiple 914s, I thought that would never be me since I couldn't fabricate another reason to get another...but I'm smarter than I look and convinced my wife that the "finished" car I bought from Renegade hybrid would save me 5-10 years of having my original car on blocks. And I could sell the all original 914 to help offset the cost of my new 914. So it took less than a few months before my wife questioned my decision to sell my original 914 and it would eventually be hers when all the bugs were worked out and it would start reliably.

So I am living the dream...understanding (and slightly gullible) wife and 2 dream cars (one original, the other crazy fast). And to think, I was also looking at Miata's as my mid life crisis cars...not bad cars but I'd imagine one ever says "what is that car" like they do my 914s every time I stop to get gas or go to the store.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.