Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What made you want to get a 914?, I will start
Andyrew
post Sep 4 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(carking1996 @ Sep 4 2017, 09:15 AM) *

An old game I played, need for speed Porsche unleashed, had a 914 in it. I loved it ever since I was a kid playing the game

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.igcd.net-20399-1504541704.1.jpg)

Oh I loved that game! Still have it on my laptop.

My 914 was my first car. I either wanted a 67 mustang or a 914. My dad was big into autox as we went about once a month and we would always go somewhere in his 944. I wanted something I could autox. Eventually through many years of saving I found a deal on ebay for a 914 near me. My dad and I went over to the guy and found out he had three of them, two at his appartment complex and one in storage. We made a deal of 1,050 for tthe three and limped mine home. The other 2 went to a friends place where we chopped one up for parts and gave another shell to the friend. I had a shed full of parts that I would slowly sell off to help fund other parts.
I was 14 when I bought my 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flmont
post Sep 4 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

For me I was a 911 guy at first, because I had seen one on a interstate way back in the late 70's,,I had always wanted a collection of Porsche's so as I learned about 911's and 944's,..I ran across a 914 and I liked it right off,.That became my second purchase from Ca. a signal orange and black 74' as I started to drive it around Tucson,az It was just so much more fun to drive to me, that I now have only 914's,.the rest have been sold ,But I would like to own a 968 or a boxster someday.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Sep 4 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #23

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

Loved my 1970 Opel GT, CHP red, and my girlfriend had a 64 Mustang which she sold and replaced with a 1.8 white 914 with Riveras and ANSA quad pipes out back. WOW, what a throttle-steering slot car. I was/am a BMW/911 guy but always remembered she and her car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 4 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #24

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

A co-worker of mine autocrossed his 911SC. I was looking for a car that was more fun than my first car, a Honda Accord. He recommended 914s, because they always did very well at autoX events and were pretty inexpensive.

I bought the wrong one, broke a lot of stuff, and had to fix it myself because I couldn't afford Porsche mechanic prices. That was in about 1990.

After a couple of years, I bought a better 914, a few years later sold that first one. (For $500; and I had people trying to bargain the price down from there!!)

--DD
+Quote Post
Porscheguy912
post Sep 4 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #25

porscheguy912

Member No.: 17,236
Region Association: North East States

My 1968 soft window targa had horsepower of 93.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Sep 4 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #26

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387

A long time ago a friend of mine watched races at Watkins Glen from the pit area. He told me about the awesome 914s there and the interest was sparked from there
I didn't get one until some 20+ years later, (by accident) and have jumped in with both feet. Now I understand why they say "if you want to join the club, you have to pay the dues'. I don't have any plans to bail out any time soon.
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 4 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #27

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

My reason is far less 914-centered. For years my primary hobby has been to find fun but derelict cars and return them to usefulness. Examples include an MGB, 240Z, Corrado G60 and a BMW e21 323i. This 914 is my latest project. I'm happy to say it seems to be turning out quite nice. But there's no telling whether this will be the only teener in my life or not.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Sep 4 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 20,484

My brother and Dad had 911's, my sister had a 914. I have always wanted a 911 but way too expensive - so a 914 seemed like the next best car.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Sep 4 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

My best friend bought a used black 1.8 914 when we were in high school. He would let borrow the car to go on dates or just have fun. We went to Mammoth to ski and Palm Springs for spring break. We just had a blast and then I bought one and drove around with my kids with the top off. They had the biggest smile whenever we went for a drive.
So we can thank my friend for this addiction.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 4 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 15,674

I was very mechanically inclined youth, bikes,slot cars, then go-carts, mini bikes then motorcycles then cars used to never miss Lemans on Wide World of Sports. Read all the mags, especially R&T. When the 914 came out, first it was mid engined, then it was just something about the engineering that grabbed me - neat, clean, elegantly simple, efficient.

As things worked out, I got a new one in 73', 2 liter marathon blue. It was everything I thought it would be. Was headed to a Navy duty assignment overseas for three years in 76, so sold the 4 and bought a six as I figured it would hold its value when I got back.

I was hooked. Still love the engineering. Still elegantly simple, still efficient.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 4 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #31

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I wanted a small, light, affordable, targa top sports car. I looked at Toyota MR2s, Honda Del Sols, and everything else out there. None of them have the soul of the 914. Then as you know, once bitten, it's an addiction.
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Sep 4 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 18,459

I have always been a sports car fan. When I was 14 in the early 60's, I wrote myself a note that I would buy a sports car someday. My favorite at the time was the Triumph TR2/3. Porsches were not on my list. When the 914 first came out, I was not that impressed, liking the Datsun 240Z better. The 914 started to grow on me and I appreciated its "purposeful" design. My brother-in-law bought a '70 914 and let me drive it. Loved the way it drove. Got a '76 914 in the early 80's. Great fun, but traded it for a "family" car. Got the bug again to get a 914 and found the "perfect" one in Jan. 2015 at Truspeed Motorcars, a '73 2.0 with a tired engine. Have since had the motor rebuilt by Raby Air Cooled Technology to a 2270cc, 178 hp (on the dyno, probably 150+ at the rear wheels) little hot rod. What a blast to drive. Always puts a smile on my face. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 4 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #33

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Always loved Porsches. I attended the Watkins Glen 6-hour endurance races and CanAm races in '70, '71, and '72. This was at a time when before and after the races anyone could walk through the paddock and pits and I saw the 917's up close.

Then in '73 I started dating a girl who lived about 10 miles from me out towards the country. Being 15 I couldn't drive and was always looking for a ride to her house. Just so happens her older sister's boyfriend bought a 914 and picked me up in it many times.

The one ride to her house that stood out was when there was about 1-2 inches of snow on the road. He took it easy but that car never slid or anything in the snow. I remember falling in love with the front turnsignal look and pop-up lights.

As a cautionary tale, I commented about the squeaking coming from the roof and he said he needed to squirt some lubricant on it to make it stop. So even brand new the 914 was a "flexible flyer".

I got my first 914 when I was in my late 40's.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 4 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #34

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

It was an issue of VW & Porsche around 1989, had an article about setting up 914 suspensions for racing. Also influenced by a black 914 with vented rocker panels and rubber skirts parked near UNLV that I would bike by couple times a month.

Decided the 914 would be a good first step towards a racing career. I went with the first 914 my parents finally let me look at. At $3500 I could buy it or an 86 RX7. Shouldn't have. Spent what little money I had left fixing it instead of racing, and Mom decided she would only $upport a college related future. So the reality was me driving a black on black car with no A/C to summer jobs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

An old man in a new Lexus killed that car. I found a rust free non-running car a block away while cycle training for $1000. Couldn't drive and swap parts at the same time, so I bought a Nissan pickup (parts hauler) with the V6, and A/C. (forshadowing)

First 914 had a mutt 2 liter with Solex industrial carbs, the second nice Webber 40s on a 1.8 that I couldn't get running right, so I bought 914 #3 for the strong 2.0FI and #4 as part of the package for $2000.

The rest of the story belongs in a build thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 4 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #35

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 3 2017, 06:21 PM) *
What made you want to get a 914?

I didn't ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 4 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #36

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 4 2017, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 3 2017, 06:21 PM) *
What made you want to get a 914?

I didn't ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So what made it stick for you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 4 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #37

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

My doc said I'm iron deficient and recommended playing with rusty metal.

Great stories guys!

My first car was a Fiat X 1/9, which I always thought was the poor man's 914. Funny...911 guys call us NARPS...but at least we don't have a fraction on our badging. I eventually came to realize that 1/9 referred to the number of days the car wouldn't break down. The throttle linkage actually fell apart on the way to prom and I fixed it roadside in a tuxedo. James Bond style.

Fast forward 35 years and I'm still working on cars (no tux, but more lbs). I went to the Caffeine and Carburetors show in New Canaan, CT, saw a beautiful 73 2.0 and was reminded how much I loved the 914. I instantly fell under its spell.

I'm on my second 914 now...the addiction is strong....
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Sep 4 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 18,986

drove and customized a 73 VW bug as my first car in high school.

Now in my mid 40s with disposable income, I wanted an air cooled car to work on as a project; it's been a labor of love for two years and counting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Sep 4 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 13,373

After my job transferred me to So. California in '78 one of my first new friends had a silver 6, I just fell in love with that car. I could not afford one then because they were selling for a whopping $5500 so I settled for a silver '74 2.0
+Quote Post
carcus
post Sep 4 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Owned a Euro Spec 914-6 while stationed in Italy overseas I could not bring back, owned a 1970 VW bug, owned a 2000 Porsche 996. I wanted simple and fun with my 914 again. Granted, many years have passed since I owned my 914-6 in 1990.....but traded wanted some of my youth back. The 914 checks all the boxes for me and fun box also. For speed, I have have the custom SC Stang pulling 750HP. With the 914, not about speed, comfort....just a feeling. Hard to explain. Time machine for me. Funny thing is mechanics forgot how to work on older cars now.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 06:23 AM