Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mahle cylinder boring
Bsherrard
post Sep 9 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,077
Region Association: South East States

Looking for a shop to bore my German Mahle cylinders to 96mm. Not having any luck. Does anyone know of a shop that can do this??
Brook
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 9 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Probably easier to go to AA Pistons and order a new set. You still have to check them but the quality is good now. Usually the web site pops up a discount coupon to make oit even better.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Sep 9 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Bsherrard @ Sep 9 2017, 04:20 PM) *

Looking for a shop to bore my German Mahle cylinders to 96mm. Not having any luck. Does anyone know of a shop that can do this??
Brook

Check for a shop that will handle motorcycle work...they should have the thrust plate setup. Or try Len Hoffman at HAM Inc.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 9 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #4

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Shouldn't you be hiding from Irma?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 10 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 10 2017, 02:10 PM) *

Brook

Check for a shop that will handle motorcycle work...they should have the thrust plate setup. Or try Len Hoffman at HAM Inc.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) best place ,only way you get a straight bore ,very important then you can run new pistons and not worry about bore clearance.
Curt your comment was so "off"I'am lost for words...really,all time low for you.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Sep 10 2017, 06:33 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 10 2017, 01:30 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 10 2017, 02:10 PM) *

Brook

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) best place ,only way you get a straight bore ,very important then you can run new pistons and not worry about bore clearance.
Curt your comment was so "off"I'am lost for words...really,all time low for you.

I didn't think it was that "off". I read this thread and had a similar thought. I have a real concern for all in Florida right now. It is hard to imaging anyone in Florida doing anything but worrying about Irma.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 10 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Just how was that comment"low"? He's in Florida with a huge hurricane headed for him. If I were there, if be hiding or leaving. I think your comment (like a lot of them) is rather crass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
Bsherrard
post Sep 10 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #8

Hey everyone, I spent the last two days boarding up my house. We are prepared and there is a lot of waiting for the storm to hit so I might as well plan the next steps for my 912E. I went through Hugo in St Thomas so Imam well aware of hurricanes. I built my house so I know it is solid - I am an architect. I appreciate the concerns from all and the responds to my question. I really think I will be better off with the original german cylinders if I can get them bored compared to the new stuff currently available.
Len is doing my heads but doesn't do cylinders. I had to have him hold on shipping them until Irma passes thru. At the cost of those beauties didn't want to take any chance of them getting lost in transit😀
Brook
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 10 2017, 11:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 11 2017, 12:36 AM) *

Just how was that comment"low"? He's in Florida with a huge hurricane headed for him. If I were there, if be hiding or leaving. I think your comment (like a lot of them) is rather crass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Curt no need to offend for that I'am sorry,just thought it was off colour,its not like Brock didn't know it was coming, hence his reply.
We don't have hurricanes but we have earthquakes ,which is worse I don't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ,I do care and have been watching this closely,just cause i'am half way around the world makes no difference.....human suffering no matter what.
Curt I send you a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) instead of the finger ok.

+Quote Post
Bsherrard
post Dec 31 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #10

thought I would update and close out this thread. first - we survived Irma with no damage but my wife's family in Puerto Rico did not fare so well with Maria. A few of them still do not have power.
I was able to get my cylinders bored out by Revmasters Machine Shop in Orlando. They did a great job. Here are some pictures after cleaning, media blasting the fins and then painting with Rustoleum Flat Black thinned 20% with mineral spirits.

Attached Image
Attached Image

So much better than what I can buy new (except of course Nickies which are a different matter and price altogether)

Happy New year to all!

Brook
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 31 2017, 11:31 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 9 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Brook

Check for a shop that will handle motorcycle work...they should have the thrust plate setup.

Torque plate, not thrust plate. You need a jig to simulate the the torque placed on the cylinder and also serves double duty to clamp it in the boring machine.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 1 2018, 06:31 AM
Post #12

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

So much better than what I can buy new (except of course Nickies which are a different matter and price altogether)

Happy New year to all!

Brook
[/quote]

Curious as to what it cost. In California the prices are about $50 per cylinder so that new becomes a viable choice based on the price. Anyone know if the Mahle cylinders are better then AA ones?
Bruce
+Quote Post
Bsherrard
post Jan 1 2018, 08:49 AM
Post #13

Bruce,
From everything I have read, the original German Mahle cylinders are better than the Chinese new ones which is why I chose to go this route. It cost me $160 to get them bored.

Brook
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jan 1 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,019

Which pistons will be used/made for these barrels?

i have a set of stock 94mm barrels that i eventually want to have 8.5:1 pistons made for them.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jan 1 2018, 10:49 AM
Post #15

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I was lucky had a local do my cylinders, oem.. Bored out to 96mm with keith black pistons and hastings rings. He is no longer in business.
+Quote Post
Bsherrard
post May 6 2018, 06:56 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 1 2018, 11:41 AM) *

i have a set of stock 94mm barrels that i eventually want to have 8.5:1 pistons made for them.

Sorry for the late response - not following this thread anymore. I had custom JE pistons made from the Type4 Store and took them to the machine shop when I had them bored to make sure they were matched.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post May 8 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(Bsherrard @ May 6 2018, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 1 2018, 11:41 AM) *

Sorry for the late response - not following this thread anymore. I had custom JE pistons made from the Type4 Store and took them to the machine shop when I had them bored to make sure they were matched.

Cool thanks, I wonder if I could just bore them to 95mm and have pistons made to match. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:34 PM