Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahle cylinder boring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bsherrard
Looking for a shop to bore my German Mahle cylinders to 96mm. Not having any luck. Does anyone know of a shop that can do this??
Brook
914Sixer
Probably easier to go to AA Pistons and order a new set. You still have to check them but the quality is good now. Usually the web site pops up a discount coupon to make oit even better.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Bsherrard @ Sep 9 2017, 04:20 PM) *

Looking for a shop to bore my German Mahle cylinders to 96mm. Not having any luck. Does anyone know of a shop that can do this??
Brook

Check for a shop that will handle motorcycle work...they should have the thrust plate setup. Or try Len Hoffman at HAM Inc.
TheCabinetmaker
Shouldn't you be hiding from Irma?
porschetub
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 10 2017, 02:10 PM) *

Brook

Check for a shop that will handle motorcycle work...they should have the thrust plate setup. Or try Len Hoffman at HAM Inc.

agree.gif best place ,only way you get a straight bore ,very important then you can run new pistons and not worry about bore clearance.
Curt your comment was so "off"I'am lost for words...really,all time low for you.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 10 2017, 01:30 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 10 2017, 02:10 PM) *

Brook

agree.gif best place ,only way you get a straight bore ,very important then you can run new pistons and not worry about bore clearance.
Curt your comment was so "off"I'am lost for words...really,all time low for you.

I didn't think it was that "off". I read this thread and had a similar thought. I have a real concern for all in Florida right now. It is hard to imaging anyone in Florida doing anything but worrying about Irma.
TheCabinetmaker
Just how was that comment"low"? He's in Florida with a huge hurricane headed for him. If I were there, if be hiding or leaving. I think your comment (like a lot of them) is rather crass! finger.gif
Bsherrard
Hey everyone, I spent the last two days boarding up my house. We are prepared and there is a lot of waiting for the storm to hit so I might as well plan the next steps for my 912E. I went through Hugo in St Thomas so Imam well aware of hurricanes. I built my house so I know it is solid - I am an architect. I appreciate the concerns from all and the responds to my question. I really think I will be better off with the original german cylinders if I can get them bored compared to the new stuff currently available.
Len is doing my heads but doesn't do cylinders. I had to have him hold on shipping them until Irma passes thru. At the cost of those beauties didn't want to take any chance of them getting lost in transit😀
Brook
porschetub
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 11 2017, 12:36 AM) *

Just how was that comment"low"? He's in Florida with a huge hurricane headed for him. If I were there, if be hiding or leaving. I think your comment (like a lot of them) is rather crass! finger.gif

Curt no need to offend for that I'am sorry,just thought it was off colour,its not like Brock didn't know it was coming, hence his reply.
We don't have hurricanes but we have earthquakes ,which is worse I don't know confused24.gif ,I do care and have been watching this closely,just cause i'am half way around the world makes no difference.....human suffering no matter what.
Curt I send you a bye1.gif instead of the finger ok.

Bsherrard
thought I would update and close out this thread. first - we survived Irma with no damage but my wife's family in Puerto Rico did not fare so well with Maria. A few of them still do not have power.
I was able to get my cylinders bored out by Revmasters Machine Shop in Orlando. They did a great job. Here are some pictures after cleaning, media blasting the fins and then painting with Rustoleum Flat Black thinned 20% with mineral spirits.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

So much better than what I can buy new (except of course Nickies which are a different matter and price altogether)

Happy New year to all!

Brook
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 9 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Brook

Check for a shop that will handle motorcycle work...they should have the thrust plate setup.

Torque plate, not thrust plate. You need a jig to simulate the the torque placed on the cylinder and also serves double duty to clamp it in the boring machine.
bdstone914

So much better than what I can buy new (except of course Nickies which are a different matter and price altogether)

Happy New year to all!

Brook
[/quote]

Curious as to what it cost. In California the prices are about $50 per cylinder so that new becomes a viable choice based on the price. Anyone know if the Mahle cylinders are better then AA ones?
Bruce
Bsherrard
Bruce,
From everything I have read, the original German Mahle cylinders are better than the Chinese new ones which is why I chose to go this route. It cost me $160 to get them bored.

Brook
gothspeed
Which pistons will be used/made for these barrels?

i have a set of stock 94mm barrels that i eventually want to have 8.5:1 pistons made for them.
StratPlayer
I was lucky had a local do my cylinders, oem.. Bored out to 96mm with keith black pistons and hastings rings. He is no longer in business.
Bsherrard
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 1 2018, 11:41 AM) *

i have a set of stock 94mm barrels that i eventually want to have 8.5:1 pistons made for them.

Sorry for the late response - not following this thread anymore. I had custom JE pistons made from the Type4 Store and took them to the machine shop when I had them bored to make sure they were matched.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Bsherrard @ May 6 2018, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 1 2018, 11:41 AM) *

Sorry for the late response - not following this thread anymore. I had custom JE pistons made from the Type4 Store and took them to the machine shop when I had them bored to make sure they were matched.

Cool thanks, I wonder if I could just bore them to 95mm and have pistons made to match. smile.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.